What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Phylos Galaxy - Landrace discussion

White Beard

The more I learn about Phylos, the more convinced I become that they are misapplying science to ‘prove’ their NLD/BLD/Hemp scheme and set the principals up to own, or at least control, drug-strain cannabis in the new market.

Strikes me as oddly similar to attempts to ‘scientifically prove’ racial superiority and inferiority back in the bad old days. Which makes Phylos closer to phrenology than to genetics.

W

Water-

Hi. It is really easy to explain that. In the past usually the way of growing or breeding wasn't hybridization. It was masal selection or somewhat like that.

So a farmer or grower got their seeds, grew them and chose the better ones or at least the ones he liked to grow the next season. If cross pollination happened was due to neighbouring plants which belonged to the same genepoool.

So if someone found a good psychedelic strain in Tien Shan mountains or Himlaya or wherever NLD appeared. They simply got seeds and share them so they spreaded to India. It seems later to South East Asia and Islands. Perhaps from South India to East Africa. Later from Phillippines or anywhere there to México, from Kalimantan to Colombia and so on. I think that is the reason why NLD genepool is so closely related.

When people (modern breeders) began to cross tropical NLD with Central Asian BLD about 60's and 70's, they got something with mixed genetic markers from both origins so it seems you get more diversity but in fact it was only a first step towards an homogeneus mix. Nowadays polyhybrids seem more simmilar to a synthetic or a composite variety.

https://theagricos.com/plant-breeding/synthetic-variety/

https://theagricos.com/plant-breeding/composite-variety/

Middle Eastern and North Africa BLD's seem to be mixed with rope hemp genepool.

The problem with Phylos is they did their first tests with BLD/NLD modern hybrids. So if Skunk#1 is Acapulco Gold x Colombian/Afghan, they show it as if Acapulco Gold is 50% Skunk, but in fact it is exactly the opposite.

Greetings.

Im not arguing with you, im only writing because I think it will take us all working together to work this out.
I dont understand how mixing genetic markers creates an illusion of diversity?
And im not sure what you mean by a synthetic variety?
I dont have any training in plant biology only human

I just watched this video posted by CannaRed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM4Z...ature=youtu.be

at 42:20 Mowgli from Phylos talks about Cannabis gentic diversity increasing, if I understand him correctly

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran
Time for you to put down the High THC stuff bro and start huffing that CBD quickly.

The paranoia is taking over and spoiling that fancy Jesuit edumacation of yours.

I have submitted not a single sample to Phylos. Not even ONE.

You’ve made some very false assumptions and base your whole world-view on it.

I have exactly ZERO ties to Phylos. You too are way off base :rolleyes:

That’s the problem with these forums, all the good posters who shared real info are doing real things, and a bunch of paranoid Monsanto-Phylos fearing knobs have takennover the nut house. You need to use real logic, not bullshit suppositions and copy& pastes from other idiots-anons from all over the web.

There’s lots of real info available nowadays - how some of you folks are stuck on these insane conspiracy theories without merit is just so beyond me.

Please provide some evidence how “they relate everything back to ... chimera’s lines”, or kindly stfu and stop spreading outright lies.
#CrazyFucks

Thats exactly the point I was trying to make.
They relate everything to Sam’s and chimera’s lines.
And they do so even more now after that “update”
Big money.

White Beard

I’m pretty sure you’re correct, but from the other end, if everything on Phylos points “back” to skunk#1 or Nevill’s haze, why *wouldn’t* they be able to patent everything that points to one of *those*, using Phylos “proof of prior art”?

troutman

Seed Whore
I’m pretty sure you’re correct, but from the other end, if everything on Phylos points “back” to skunk#1 or Nevill’s haze, why *wouldn’t* they be able to patent everything that points to one of *those*, using Phylos “proof of prior art”?

You can only patent something that is new and Skunk#1 or Haze hardly qualifies. :laughing:

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
You can only patent something that is new and Skunk#1 or Haze hardly qualifies. :laughing:

Yep for example Easter Island sativa x Skunk#1 ibl

985e1bab37cd2bdf3340074b3aa33ac4.gif

Nexus7

I have submitted not a single sample to Phylos. Not even ONE.

Why not? Not interested in such things or have your own DNA database already?

You should at least submit your Sweet Skunk somewhere to see if it's really a skunk or NL5/haze varietal.

And what's your opinion of phylos DNA testing and the 3d galaxy? Anything interesting you've found on there you can share with us lay folk?

Peace,

N7

W

Water-

"It was definitely a rare non-touristy part of the trip that was very memorable. (Side story- at one point the original Rapanui offered us some marijuana, and I asked if it was legal on the island because they had dogs sniffing all the bags at the airport. He told us not to worry, that there are only 4 police on the island, and he was one of them…)."

http://josh.yosh.org/travel/easterisland/easterisland.htm

hellfire

Not just new, but new, novel and NOT in the public domain. Plus probably a ton of more things.

This means anything sold via seeds to the public cannot be patented. Public domain cuts like GG4, GSC, blah blah new stuff will never be able to be patented.

satva

Veteran
Here is the US patent of two cannabis parents that are(were) available to the public in seed form. I don't believe the person/company that made the seeds applied for the patent, but I'm not sure on that.

Ecuadorian sativa is ~ Celestial Temple Sativa x Island Sweet Skunk

US patent granted for Ecuadorian sativa- USPp27475P2

https://patents.google.com/patent/USPP27475P2/en

PS> April fools day effect, no longer in effect.................

Last edited:
W

Water-

interesting find.

that patent was granted in 2010

From my reading, the patent is for a cutting made from an F1 of Celestial Temple Sativa x Island Sweet Skunk
called "Plaedian"

which is half hemp half drug variety.

"Equadorian Sativa’ has been shown by laboratory testing by Steephill Labs to contain cannabinoid CBG-A at 2.49 mg/g, tetrahydrocannibidiol THC-A at 139.46 mg/g, THC at 2.24 mg/g and cannabinoid CBC-A at 1.75 mg/g. ‘Equadorian Sativa’ cannabinoid content is dominated by its high content of THC (2.24 mg/g) and THC-A (139.46 mg/g).

Most varieties of high potency cannabis contain large quantities of three specific terpenes as well as various assortments of others. Those three terpenes are Beta-Myrcene, Beta Caryophyllene and Linalool. For instance, the variety CT3 has a profile with a high level of Beta-Myrcene, a moderate amount of Beta Caryophyllene and a small amount of Linalool, and a moderate amount of Limonene. ‘Equadorian Sativa’ has an unusual complement of terpenes.

There are small levels of Beta Myrcene, Beta Caryophyllene and Linalool, but the Limonene level is extraordinarily high at a level of 4.53, 10 to 20 times the usual range. This sets ‘Equadorian Sativa’ apart from other varieties in its odor, the effects on mood and mentation and its medical qualities."

Storm Shadow

Veteran
I know somebody that is investing a million dollars into this company... I bet he'd want a refund if he read this thread ...