What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

PH in Flower DWC [pic]

gtg341w

picture.php

I have a 16 gallon top-fed DWC running General Hydroponics Flora trio, CaliMagic, Hydroguard and Liqiud Koolbloom. +|- 950 PPM

600w MH for veg (but usually dimmed to 300 because of being out of town), and 600w HPS for flower. This pic was taken at Day 14 of flower (HPS color tweaked out in photoshop)

QUESTION: When I was in veg I would buffer PH to around 5.6-5.6 at res changes then let it gradually drift upwards towards 6.0-6.2. Now that I have made the switch to 12/12 and 75% of the reccomended GH nutes for transition (roughly 1:1:1 Micro, Grow, Bloom) the PH has been sitting right at 6.0 for 10+ days now. Is this ok, or should I buffer for a little drift? I also much of my new growth is lighter lime green and not darkening with time. Is the light colored new growth related to this lack of PH drift or some other factor such as my running only 50% of the suggested Calimagic.

Thanks for your answers. Overall it was a great first DWC veg, now I'm just trying to stay on top of things and have a good flower.

picture.php

gtg341w

EDIT: I would love thoughts, suggestions about the lighter new growth in flower. My ideas so far:

Maybe a CalMag def?

HPS making normal growth look lighter than it actually is. Essentially a non-issue.

Some sort of lockout from PH sitting at 6.0

Light Bleaching: However the 600w HPS is probably 18-20" from the canopy so I don't think that it's light bleaching. I plan to slowly push it closer in the next few weeks.

Vhghost

Gtg all I see is healthy new growth, when you start flower your plants will stretch and all you are seeing is new growth. Unless your 600wat is too close, then it might be light bleaching. But imo your plants look great, don't over think it and fix something that doesn't need fixing

gh0stm0de

I know guys who prefer to swing high with buffer in flo. Read desert squirrels sticky at t h c farmer he speaks on it. I shoot for 5.8 throughout. I dont think you are having a ph issue.

I typically max out my ppm at peak flower around 650-700 ppm. 6-8z girls. I think you may be overfeeding. Also, i wouldnt add koolbloom till week 4, 3 if faster strain. Basically when done stretching and pistil development begins to intensify into budset.

I agree looks like lockout type of deal not light bleaching.

They do NOT look hungry, my instinct says youre overfeeding p and k.

After reviewing pics, welcome to dwc i think you will love it. Great first run. I feel pretty strongly that you are likely overfeeding.

I dont check daily but have been around more as i plan my next run, feel free to pm with any dwc specific questions.

Jonny Lan

you first pic looks questionable but the second pic looks healthy

Im in soil though so maybe my info is worth shit I'm also high as fuck.

hope i helped a bit

gtg341w

I typically max out my ppm at peak flower around 650-700 ppm. 6-8z girls. I think you may be overfeeding. Also, i wouldnt add koolbloom till week 4, 3 if faster strain. Basically when done stretching and pistil development begins to intensify into budset...
...They do NOT look hungry, my instinct says youre overfeeding p and k.

After reviewing pics, welcome to dwc i think you will love it. Great first run. I feel pretty strongly that you are likely overfeeding.

I think that we are on to something here. I was quick to switch to transition nutes, then week 2 flowering nutes. I probably should have left the same 650-750 ppm blend of veg nutes through the first week or two of stretch. I will hold off on koolbloom until end of stretch.

Jonny Lan: I will try to snap a few pics tonight just as the light comes on. There is a 1-2 second window where HPS has a cool color like MH.

gtg341w

I took a few pictures tonight with flash right before my 600w HPS came on, and a few pics right as it turned on before the light became orange.

This is Day 16 of flower, two days after the above photos. There are still a few light spots on the new growth, but its seems to have gotten better. I added a little CalMag and topped off with PH'ed water. I will continue to observe and report at this point.

Thanks ghostmode et. al. I may try holding my PPMs a little bit lower during early bloom.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Nutrients are a natural pH down. Use pH up only to reach the lowest healthy pH for DWC, which is 5.4'ish. When the mix isn't too hot, the absorption of nutes will again create the natural rise you saw during veg.

I'd dump the res and re-fill, or dump half and refill with less pH up and nutes for a lower strength mix. I really dislike using pH down... heh :) My thinking is it's a closer mix without pH down (my pH up is potassium citrate) and it's all about the balanced mix when you don't change reservoirs during flower. :)