What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Petemoss' Bio Buckets

petemoss

You have a 12" waterfall? Then you don't need anything else! If you still want to try a protein skimmer, try a larger Skilter like I was using. It has a little pump that smashes air bubbles inside a small chamber. The water comes out in a bubbling waterfall. A little bit noisy with a chugging, sucking sound but I liked it.

Uniseals! yes, that's what they're called. I agree about the hot-gluing. It makes a mess! I had to reglue a couple that leaked.
I still think you may get uneven flow with 3/4" lines, but let's hope I'm wrong! I'm too tired to do the math, but there's a tremendous difference in flow between 1/2" and 3/4".

C

Casual

Hi Pete... At the moment, yes, I have a 12" waterfall, but that also means I lose 12" of potential plant growth. I have two rows of empty buckets with wire shelving across them that the BB's sit on in order to get the 12" waterfall. With a Skilter, I could remove those buckets and put the BB's on the ground and veg for probably an extra week.
The Uniseals are the cats ass... very cool. Takes some effort to get the PVC through them... the drains were a bit of a PITA, but not horrible.
I have valves where each 3/4" line comes off of the main manifold to adjust the flow so I can make an attempt to get them all even, but I was thinking I could also simply use a 90 degree elbow with a 3/4" on one end to attach to the PVC where it comes through the uniseal, and 1/2" on the other end... that should work perfectly.
Love the advice... ALWAYS good to have a second opinion on things from somebody who has a lot of growing experience!! It's VERY appreciated Pete!
I'll go to Lowes or BORG (Big Orange Retail Giant) *Home Depot, either this weekend of Monday and see if I can find the reducing elbows.

Thanks again Pete... once I have things setup, I'll crank up my own thread and stop dirtying up yours! :)

Caz

Kingzako

Hi,
Great Info!!!! Just getting into this.

My question is what about feeding when the lights are off.
Do I continue to feed or put pump on timer so it shuts off durring sleep time?

Thanks!

petemoss

Hi Kingzako,
The pump is always on 24/7. Both pumps, one to circulate water to the buckets and a separate pump to the chiller.

whiteberrieS

With A Black Flag Raised In The Sky
Veteran
1301571176.jpg