What's new

Perpetual trays, horiz 600

L

laylow

interesting design BB..... are you sort of copying what you posted up of heaths setup in the 1.5gpw thread and going for 26oz per 10? :respect:

the weight of the plants once they are big wont push the pot through the lid will it? might want to put a little support of some sort under each one of the pots just incase ;)

look forward to your progress here for the ride....

:tiphat:

Bud-Boy

Veteran
if it gets to that, i'll drill through the pots to insert cross supports, they're already pushed through to tight.
Any hydro I'll due flatters Heath's RDWC ideas. I'd be blessed to achieve what he does

Bud-Boy

Veteran
laylow
Taking that into consideration, Im installing reinforcements

picture.php
picture.php

If these work I'll invest in some hydro plastics and switch over to round pots. The hole saw makes a perfect cut every time.
Cutting foam board with a razor sucks.
Plus Im hesitant to run an outlet through the plastic lined walls to connect the resys and control tank.

L

laylow

what have you glued them side bits of wood on? what about a small pot facing down sitting under it.... whats that white medium your using dude never seen it before?

Bud-Boy

Veteran
So if I rig a control resy to top these off using a ball float in each individual plant resy

Do I want the control resy to be phd plain water or nutrient leveled solution???

L

laylow

I would say nutrient but at a weak strength as your EC may go up in the trays :)

what EC strength do you normally run? i run at 1.8 and stronger towards the end of flower i know heath uses 1.2 constant with mega yields lol....

Bud-Boy

Veteran
what have you glued them side bits of wood on? what about a small pot facing down sitting under it.... whats that white medium your using dude never seen it before?

Small stainless screws from the inside hold the wood. Couldnt think of a plastic rim to hold em.
Thought about going from the bottom up, but im not familiar with the amount of root growth Ill have from its final stage of veg to going into flower? Will I be able to transfer the individual pots, I kinda think so. Seems the roots will be seriously entangled in a support pot. Kinda hard to pull it all up through the hoe.
The top is so secure with the fiberglass reinforcement rods, I'd like to keep the root area free to circulate so Id prefer top support. Even considered down spout material in some form to support the bottoms. The idea of drilling through the top of the pots, two rods in each, about and inch off center and sticking out enough to hold the container up still remains, but do I have any inert rods of something???? the fiberglass doesnt cut so well

The medium is Sure To Grow. Spun HDPE. giving it a second try cuz I have it and This is my BUY NOTHING era at the moment. Doesnt retain much so it could be good for this constant feed.

BTW
How do I clean Hydroton?? Suggestions..
I'm not going to boil and bake the amount I have.....

Bud-Boy

Veteran
The STG Im using is a slab cut into pieces for these pots. I may top them off with loose fill STG.

Nute strength, Im experimenting in the low range. Used to feed heavy, feed till they burn then back it off, but I realized I was causing all kinds of lockout.
Gonna shoot for the Heath method, going to purchase a good EC meter, prob a truncheon and keep it in the 1.2 to 1.6

L

laylow

Good idea about keeping the root zone free to keep things moving about....

you say give it another go did you have a prob before with the sure to grow then?

Cleaning hydroton is a bitch no matter how you do it not sure how much your using but the most important thing is to keep it away from your sink as it clogs all the pipes with its shit dust and crap and man you have to take everything apart to get it out... do it outside get a big trash can empty it in and clean it with a hose and once its clean of the dust and shit put it in your system and then run it with your nutes untill its ph and ec balanced and your set... :)

good idea with the nutes keep them at 1.2 in the rez and same in the topup that way if your EC goes up its not going to get to bad with a 1.2 topup and if it does i assume you will be checking it at least once a day for the first week so you can adjust it as you go along....

as for the res film being thick enough i cant say as i haven't used it but if it is for ponds and there arnt any sharp edges in the wooden box i dont see it being a problem.... not 100% on that tho dude i would use a thick black one but im OTT on everything.....

:D

silver hawaiian

Veteran
Lots of big colanders and finger action, .. Or a big pail (one of those deals you stick beer and ice in outside) with a buncha 3/8" holes drilled, .. No easy way :(

silver hawaiian

Veteran
Supports

Supports

With your resy situation at 25 gallons (as per yesterdays posts, also in re: pot positions), .. Doesn't that above-tray bracing kinda fark with the level of the bottom of your pot in re: the flood situation below?

:dunno:

Bud-Boy

Veteran
With your resy situation at 25 gallons (as per yesterdays posts, also in re: pot positions), .. Doesn't that above-tray bracing kinda fark with the level of the bottom of your pot in re: the flood situation below?

:dunno:

not sure how? They are set at the proper level. The fibeglass rods keep the top firm in place. SOLID. The side blocks keep the pot from drooping into its hole. Everything keeps the bottom of the pots 1/4 in submerged as long as the resy level stays at that height. That will be controlled by a mini float valve inside

silver hawaiian

Veteran
not sure how? They are set at the proper level. The fibeglass rods keep the top firm in place. SOLID. The side blocks keep the pot from drooping into its hole. Everything keeps the bottom of the pots 1/4 in submerged as long as the resy level stays at that height. That will be controlled by a mini float valve inside

Right right right

..In one of the earlier photos, though, only about 1/2" of the pot was above the top of the foamboard, .. But, when you added the side blocks, it looked like that put about 2" of the pot above the board, thus meaning the bottom of the pot is higher than it was initially, ..

I'm sure you've got it under control - just an observation made from the other side of the country, .. Something tells me you've got a better eye on it there than I do here. :shucks:

Bud-Boy

Veteran
you say give it another go did you have a prob before with the sure to grow then?

:D

I was given the STG to product trial it. The learning curve pissed me off. They dont wick at all. and in a bucket situation, it collapsed under its own weight causing other issues. Kept it though. I think itll be really good in small container constant flows or even an ebb/flow situ.

Fark cleaning the rocks, I guess. I though Hydro perox would flush n sterilize them. Then I have hardware cloth bucket to clean/rinse them in. I have 2 tough totes full of em. may just mix them into soil and buy fresh rocks, when Im buying things again

Bud-Boy

Veteran
Silver Hawaiian

Ahhh that picture. Thats was the next day, why I decided to put the side blocks on, it had fallen in

Bud-Boy

Veteran
Decided to go with PVC sealed to the containers

Some dry time and we're ready to drop in plants, stick a 400 over it for a lil bit

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

This is what I did to the STG cubes I cut. Sort of tore them up/fluffed them

picture.php

Bud-Boy

Veteran
Sweet.... so is it all up and running now BB? :)

got it in the "office" and running w out plants. Stabilizing the solution.

Decide to go with my biggest Vision Cloud clones, but they are in 3in peat cups so they need a good wash
also have several purp diesels still in their RR cubes just chillin in a bowl. as well as the green candy in the flood n drain. Had a major pH swing, over 3 days:redface: So they.... look like it, small leaves, lil wrinkly
Who knows what will make it in the flower room first. I need some chedda t oget some things to get more lights fired, replace some parts

got a dehuy but couldnt handle the amps so I had to run a circut to the flower room, after I uninstalled it from the house Im moving out of.

Stuck a bunch of cuttings in cups just for giggles a few days ago, they are mostly all rooted, whooda thunk???
so prime candidates for hydroton and a flood and drain setup while I decide what to do.

Had a dream 2 nights ago of a 4" pvc verticle 8 plant setup that I'm really itchen to do so that will get worked on. I'll spend a lil chedda on that project for pipe and connectors. Probably do some pvc bending to knock about half the cost outa it.
I'd like to have the baskets removable so I can veg in a seperate setup, prolly a 4" vert setup round a 400 MH to get em goin.

4in is SOOO much cheaper than 6" so the first per petual vert system will have to be a trial and see. I think theres enough space inside to not clog. time will tell

Out door project needs to get on NOW. time to ammend and mix. Goin mostly purple Mr nice and Vision Cloud outa 12 to start. Id love to see the green candy OD. Ill be posting on that too

Bud-Boy

Veteran
Oh and

the sides of the pots were too smooth, silicone didnt stick, so went back to wood chunks.
off the bat... this system has too many parts, or things, or materials or somethin
lookin forward to my 4" manifistation