What's new

Permafrost...

vStagger Leev

Cannaseur
Veteran
trinwreck is as old as the hills

There's been a cut going around Eugene since the 90's that people around here call " The DOM". it's whiter than any wreck i've seen to date, and tastes 10x better than any other wreck i've smoked as well. I'm trying to acquire her... seems I may have missed my chances though a few times now as she's slowly fading out of the circles. Much love friends! SL:ying:

Karmic Farmer

Veteran
The cut that Mos Cutty showed may not have originally been bred in Ohio (don't know anything about that aspect of it) but that is where it was originally obtained by the member already mentioned in our very small private group with whom we work and network so remains uncirculated publicly and is pretty damn rare at least here in the Mitten. It is held down in Ohio by a particular group of people that is known for holding and being involved with some other strains we won't even discuss, so it is legit.
I think I may pick up some cuttings soon as I have some patients asking for it again. I don't really like it much myself as I'm not a fan of Trainwreck, I don't like the menthol flavor. It's a little more solid of a plant, not quite as viney as the Arcata that I have, it still needs some support though and has the same late herm issues as the TW. I have to admit it's pretty damn good meds other than my dislike of the flavor (which I can totally live with) so if you are a Trainwreck fan I'd grab it if you can find a legit cut.

Peace,
KF

M

Mos Cutty

Getting good in here guys. I'm in agreement on the Trainwreck aspect of course. Don't get me wrong I was always taught Oregon as in PNW Portland when it comes to Perma Frost. It makes since to say Portland, OR. But I still think Ohio has something to do with this cross. I know you guys out there have seen the plant for a long time, but you still can't prove it did not come from the midwest, Nor can I prove.:biggrin:
I heard this Oregon, Ohio rumor when I was talking with an old school cat. He was telling me about all the great cuts that come out of OH and most people think they come from other places.

I also would like to know more about this Snow, I also agree that reverse pollen from Trainwreck was used in the cross as Karmic Farmer mentioned it throws late nanners.

Also what's up Oregon Peeps, can we see some more pics of this plant in flowering and finished medz. How about that snow as well?

Great discussion all,
Mos:tiphat:

Karmic Farmer

Veteran
Originally posted by Mos Cutty: "I heard this Oregon, Ohio rumor when I was talking with an old school cat. He was telling me about all the great cuts that come out of OH and most people think they come from other places."

Same thing with Oregon Purple Thai, most people think that came from the great state of Oregon when in fact it came from Oregon Ohio. There are some seriously famous strains that were developed in that area and were leaked out, along with some other highly valued not so famous strains that are still held very tightly.

Peace,
KF

Last edited:

TonyGreenHand

So after a lot of reading and asking everyone I know these are the claims I'm going to make about the permafrost feel free to say I'm wrong.

There are two versions of Permafrost, one from Ohio that is Trainwreck X White widow (or as variation of this combination). This is true.

There is another Permafrost un related to the Permafrost from Ohio, from the PNW, where exactly I am unaware however there are very promising leads saying it is from both Oregon (city unknown) and Washington (Bellingham). This Permafrost out dates the trainwreck for sure, as it is from the mid to late 70's.

There is a good chance that the Permafrost clone only might have snow in it if we can find out how old the snow clone is.

To recap

Permafrost Ohio = TWXWW - - Age unknown in this thread
Permafrost WA/OR = ?XSnow? - - ~40 years old.

Cannastyle

It is Arcadia Trainwreck x White Widow, It's gets the name because it's covered with trichs in veg it also has a strong menthol flavor from the wreck side.

It's also said to be out of Oregon Ohio and not the PNW, Them Ohio boys are something else.

View Image

View Image

best,
Mos

The cut of Permafrost Mos Cutty is showing does have very red stems and petioles, I saw the mother plant the other day that his cut originated from (I have run her myself too) and it is one of the first things you notice about her.
I don't think there is any NL in Permafrost, Trainwreck is definitely dominant in the mix.

Peace,
KF

LOL

Leave it to the homies to come in and correct me...

I was just rattling the brain the other day about the good ole Perm...

Great thread guys!

TonyGreenHand

So out of curiosity I posted a thread on ICMAG to see just how old the Trainwreck is, since it is supposed to be a parent to this PNW clone only. (https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=239683)

Most people when asked could not remember smoking or growing the trainwreck before 1994-1995.

It is not looking very likely that Trainwreck is in fact in the permafrost, simply because it did not exist before the permafrost.

So there goes that possibility :smoky:

V

Veg N Out

Have you actually found some one who has held the Frost down since the 70s? IF not...I would take that with a grain of salt.

TonyGreenHand

Yes I have VegNOut, I know a group of farmers in the bellingham area who have been doing the cut in question since the mid to late 70's.

I am now growing both the cut in question and also I believe the cut that was confused as the one I was asking about. I should have some comparison pictures soon.

S_a_H

Autoflower Crusader
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have the cut as well and hoping that is the real thing so waiting for your pictures to tell.

S_a_H

So out of curiosity I posted a thread on ICMAG to see just how old the Trainwreck is, since it is supposed to be a parent to this PNW clone only. (https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=239683)

Most people when asked could not remember smoking or growing the trainwreck before 1994-1995.

It is not looking very likely that Trainwreck is in fact in the permafrost, simply because it did not exist before the permafrost.

So there goes that possibility :smoky:

I don't want this to come off as belittling you, but how old are you and your friends?

In The Bay, North Bay specifically, old heads talk of TW from way before the aforementioned 94-95' range... I'm just saying.

TonyGreenHand

DC read the whole thread, we established that they are different cuttings. Also I don't doubt your friends in the bay had been smoking the trainwreck before my friends in washington, can you be more specific then "way before"?

S and H what did you need pictures of?

toke'a'bowl

I just finished flowering some permafrost ( from the PNW ). I got a cutting of it last september along with some Purple Pineberry (PNW/CAN ?). I did not get pictures of her unfortunatly but from my Permafrost experience, i grew up in oregon and had came across a few bags. At that time MOST notibly was the lack of density and the insane amout of resin. Light green leafy structure that almost cant get trimmed due to the coating. The cut i just finished didnt quite remind me of those bags i got back then. But was very resinous with smaller buds and did have that pink/magenta underside.

I have a few clones of her but she is going to get filed through and probably not kept. Doesnt come close to my HOG, GranDoggiePurple, GrapeGod or Vietnam Black Thai :2cents:

StinkyGreen

I recently had the opportunity to sample a cut of Permafrost from the San Juan Islands in the PNW. The taste was menthol/minty. The high was very enjoyable: mentally calm and clear, with a strong pleasurable body stone. Was great for conversation, passive entertainment, and laughs. Does this sound like either of the cuts that you guys have? I'm curious to learn more about it.