What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Diary PCBuds mini-grow

PCBuds

Got room for three? Now would still be easy to separate them.. :greenstars:

They're all sisters and cousins.
They're family.
The should be able to get along?

They might try to steal each others light though?
We'll see what happens.
Could be a cat fight? lol

PCBuds

The closet plant looks good,..
She got off to a great start and is already quite tall.
Her first set of leaves look a little pale around the edges, so I think I'm going to start with some mild nutes at about 250 PPM.

20221005_093046.jpg
20221005_093051.jpg
20221005_093108.jpg
20221005_093128.jpg

I noticed that I have a lucky plant growing in the closet again,..

20221005_093433.jpg
20221005_093505.jpg
20221005_093525.jpg

The window plants look good,..

20221005_093700.jpg
20221005_093723.jpg

PCBuds

Got room for three? Now would still be easy to separate them.. :greenstars:

I don't want to have three planters on the window sill again.
I was only intending to have a single plant in the kitchen and planted a GLo F2 seed. That's the tall plant in the middle.
The other two are the rejects from the closet that got transplanted into the window planter.
I'm surprised those two plants survived. They sure looked bad when I transplanted them. The one sprout even had one of its cotyledons kind of rot off.
They all look good now though.

I think I've learned that I can't start seeds in nuted media. My third attempt in the closet was with fresh seedling starting mix and is doing much better.

goingrey

I don't want to have three planters on the window sill again.
I was only intending to have a single plant in the kitchen and planted a GLo F2 seed. That's the tall plant in the middle.
The other two are the rejects from the closet that got transplanted into the window planter.
I'm surprised those two plants survived. They sure looked bad when I transplanted them. The one sprout even had one of its cotyledons kind of rot off.
They all look good now though.

I think I've learned that I can't start seeds in nuted media. My third attempt in the closet was with fresh seedling starting mix and is doing much better.
Yeah I've also had good luck with the seedling starter mixes. Dunno why some people advise against using them. To get the plants used to stronger soils or something like that was the theory IIRC. :dunno:

PCBuds

Yeah I've also had good luck with the seedling starter mixes. Dunno why some people advise against using them. To get the plants used to stronger soils or something like that was the theory IIRC. :dunno:

I had always started my seeds off in a small hole dug in the center of the planter filled with seed starting mix, but this time I started with nuted media and both times the sprout was all screwed up, with the tap root and cotyledons growing sideways.

Those two sprouts did recover once I transplanted them into the flushed media in the window planter.

I had always believed that you weren't supposed to start nutes until the seedling has two full sets of leaves, but my last closet plant was looking pale and washed out with only her first set of leaves out, so I started nuting her and it seemed to help.

I guess I just need to get the plant above ground and keep an eye on the color of the cotyledons and the first set of leaves.

I took a better picture of the closet sprout, and you can see how the leaves are much lighter than the cotyledons.
(It's really hard to get an accurate picture with all the lights, so I turned the lights off and used a flashlight pointing at the ceiling to get a more accurate picture of the colors.)

20221005_122958.jpg

20221005_124744.jpg

I suppose that the small leaves are just pale because they are really young, but I think that I'm going to give her a small dose of nutes at about 250-300 PPM.

Last edited:

goingrey

A plant that tiny even in lightly fertilized starter soil doesn't need any nutes IMO. New growth is often a lighter shade of green. But a small dose won't hurt I suppose.

PCBuds

A plant that tiny even in lightly fertilized starter soil doesn't need any nutes IMO. New growth is often a lighter shade of green. But a small dose won't hurt I suppose.

Yeah, maybe I'll wait.
I just poisoned two sprouts so I don't want to do it again.

I tried to find out what the nutrient values are of the Jiffy mix, but I didn't have any luck.

There must be some level nutes in the mix?

I'll wait until her first set of leaves are full to make a color assessment.
Things have always worked for me by waiting for the second set of leaves before starting nutes, so I don't want to change too much, especially at this tender age.

goingrey

Yeah, maybe I'll wait.
I just poisoned two sprouts so I don't want to do it again.

I tried to find out what the nutrient values are of the Jiffy mix, but I didn't have any luck.

There must be some level nutes in the mix?

I'll wait until her first set of leaves are full to make a color assessment.
Things have always worked for me by waiting for the second set of leaves before starting nutes, so I don't want to change too much, especially at this tender age.
They don't write it on the bag?

PCBuds

They don't write it on the bag?
No, just the ingredients.

I'm assuming that the ingredients must have some nutes in them?
There is lime so that's calcium, but it isn't really available to the plant.

Maybe it is 0-0-0 with no micronutrients? (but I doubt it.)

20221005_150033.jpg

goingrey

No, just the ingredients.

I'm assuming that the ingredients must have some nutes in them?
There is lime so that's calcium, but it isn't really available to the plant.

Maybe it is 0-0-0 with no micronutrients? (but I doubt it.)

View attachment 18765639
If it had some fertilizer I think they would (have to?) mention it. Possibly bottle feeding the babies was a good idea after all. 🍼

PCBuds

If it had some fertilizer I think they would (have to?) mention it.

I figure that it doesn't have any added nutes, but there may be some nutrients in the ingredients?

I know that as the peat moss rots it turns acidic and it gets neutralized by the lime releasing usable calcium to the plant.

Possibly bottle feeding the babies was a good idea after all. 🍼

Well, she's only a day and a half old.

I don't need to start kicking the shit out of her just yet. Lol

I'll drug her and turn up the lights in a few days. Lol

PCBuds

I decided to give my seedling a small dose of nutes. I gave her about a teaspoon of 250 PPM at PH 6.0

I figure that she was hungry because of the yellowing serrations on her leaves.
She's got a purple stem, so I think that means that she's got plenty of light, so I won't be turning up the lights any time soon.
Perhaps the abundant light led her to use up her stored nutes? Although her cotyledons are still a dark green color.

Regardless of what's going on with her, or even if she is fine and normal, I'm pretty sure that nuting her a bit shouldn't be a problem.

20221006_180206.jpg
20221006_180242.jpg
20221006_180313.jpg
20221006_180342.jpg

PCBuds

I just realized that I haven't nuted my window plants yet, so I gave them a dose of nutes too.

The GLo in the center was leaning over to one side, so I spun the planter around and pushed her up straight again.

20221006_182419.jpg

PCBuds

I decided to remove the dome so that I can blow the fan on her.
I want to strengthen her stalk so she doesn't end up falling over.
The RH dropped but it isn't too bad.
I'll keep spraying the surface of the media to help with the RH and I'll add the second incandescent bulb if the temperature drops.

I gave her more nute solution and took some pictures.

20221007_081921.jpg
20221007_081910.jpg
20221007_081936.jpg
20221007_082012.jpg
20221007_082044.jpg
20221007_082112.jpg
20221007_082407.jpg
20221007_082526.jpg
20221007_082607.jpg
20221007_082622.jpg

PCBuds

My closet plant looks a lot happier and healthier today.
She has perked up and greened up and her second set of leaves have flattened out and look normal now.
She's not droopy anymore.

20221008_151930.jpg
20221008_153645.jpg
20221008_151751.jpg
20221008_154052.jpg

I churned up the media and inadvertently plowed under my lucky plant, but I found a new on to take its place,..

20221008_152022.jpg
20221008_154022.jpg
20221008_154019.jpg

It looks like a blade of grass?
Maybe it's Kentucky Blue Grass? Lol

Latest posts

Latest posts