PCBuds

Outdoor plant.

20210707_123448.jpg

20210707_123455.jpg
20210707_123557.jpg

RE: PCBuds Post #94 08-22-2019, 02:36

Curing & burping etc.....

Replying to__"Does anyone have any input on this?"

Heres a bit of info about curing. IMO, many folks stand to waste their entire grow if a curing process goes wrong. The result of leaving a crop to go off in the jar is the foulest rank product, that is too disgusting to smell in the jar, and so choking it is unsmokable. Really guys, dry the crop and smoke it off the bush. This weed can be a bit choky, but its good smokey. All this stuff about burping twice a day is gonna leave six months worth or so of growing to waste. Probably leaving you with no weed, because weed that goes off in the jar is so bad it can't be smoked, even by the most desperate of desperados.

The fast weed curing process is really complicated. You can get a handle on this from an amateur tobacco curing enthusiast. It involves several stages, and it is very time consuming and volitile.

Fementing tobacco amateur.jpg

With cannabis curing, you want to minimize the chances of all out damage. IMO, you are better placed to dry the crop as normal. Then set about AGING the crop with less chances of it going off. Keep your crop in PAPER BAGS where you have cold damp places. Anywhere cold and damp like the kitchen, larder, bathroom or outhouse is fine, especially anywhere there might be a little damp as well. Have you ever left dried goods in the kitchen cupboard for too long; where goods lose their colour and flavour? Think along these lines. After many months, and indeed years, the crop will lose it's colour (Chlorophyll) and harshess of the smoke.

Remember PAPER BAGS for storage, not jars. Obviously, there are others that agree with this method. IMO, this thinking is more likely to save your cannabis from harm than anything. If you wanna seal cannabis in paper bags, make sure its dry first. Heh. :biggrin:

Fementing tobacco amateur.jpg

You can watch this guys video here.

• Does anyone have a first hand account of cannabis going off in the jar?
  • How would you describe the putrid smell of gone-off cannabis?
  • What was the smoke like?

PCBuds

IMO, many folks stand to waste their entire grow if a curing process goes wrong.

I agree.
But my problems are always before the weed enters the jar..

Really guys, dry the crop

I'm trying, but I can't tell for looking.
That's why I put it in a jar with a hygrometer to see if it's dry.

With cannabis curing, you want to minimize the chances of all out damage. IMO, you are better placed to dry the crop as normal.

My normal now is to dry my plant for 10 days then jar it and keep an eye on the RH.

Remember PAPER BAGS for storage, not jars.

I'm not storing my weed in a paper bag.

The temperatures have been over 34°C here lately with over 90% RH and a humidex of 45°C.

Even if my weed is dry, if I put it in a paper bag it will rot.

Even in the winter with 40% RH, it may not rot, but it will get stale and brittle.

I have a small window air conditioner in my bedroom.

I'm going to chop my plant and hang it in my bedroom for ten days with the AC on.

Then I will put it in a jar with an analog and digital hygrometer and thermometer and maybe a bunch of Boveda packs to stabilize the moisture.

If you wanna seal cannabis in paper bags, make sure its dry first.

You can't seal a paper bag.
Moisture and mold spores go right through it.

If you want to rot your weed, put it in a paper bag when it's 95°F out and 95% humidity.

• Does anyone have a first hand account of cannabis going off in the jar?
No. Not me..

• How would you describe the putrid smell of gone-off cannabis?
  • What was the smoke like?
Are you serious ??!!?!?
I'd never smoke that shit !?!??

"The result of leaving a crop to go off in the jar is the foulest rank product, that is too disgusting to smell in the jar, and so choking it is unsmokable."

Exactly.!!

I've never had weed go bad in the jar.

I don't smoke that much, so I need my weed to last.
I had a plant that yeilded enough to fill a 1 quart Mason jar.

It lasted me 14 months.

I may not have had the perfect terpine profile, but it got me stoned, and it didn't rot.

I've got some weed in a jar right now that is many months old.

Maybe I should take it out of the jar and put it in a paper bag and see what happens. Lol

20210707_184512.jpg

I also have a cat that is keeping a really close eye on my plant.

20210707_153452.jpg

PCBuds

You oughta get a couple of grams from that poor little outdoor plant.

Well maybe,...
I really don't care. Lol

It's more of an ornament.
I'm not gonna put any real effort into it. Lol

That indoor one is sure looking chunky.

She is looking really good.

She is worth the effort and expense to take care of properly.
My air conditioner is 800 Watts and will be running for ten days straight.
(I'm not putting her in a paper bag though. lol)

I could put her in a paper bag or cardboard box and stick her in my frost free fridge or freezer to dry her out, but I don't want to practice and try to learn that technique on this plant.

My ice cream might taste and smell like weed, or my weed might smell like onions, garlic, and old pizza...

That wouldn't be real terpines. Lol

JustGrowing420

Your plant is really beautiful and filled up nicely.
Great colors.

Humidity is a bitch for drying if your environment is not stable or too dry/moist. Either they take for ever or become brittle really fast.

Everything from 45-60% rh and 60-70F should be about right.

I hang the whole plant upside down and jar it when the stems just below the top bud on each branch (not the top's) snaps not completely off but after giving a little way, leaving but a small string of fibers to hold on to.
I then open it briefly each day, where you feel some moisture going from the center of the bud out, making the bud somewhat soft again. When I open the jar and the bud feels fairly dry on the outside after being closed for some time, I leave it closed indefinitely.

I know there are many ways, it's just what I've been doing in case it helps.

Whichever way you dry and cure, you're gonna be enjoying her soon!

PCBuds

Your plant is really beautiful and filled up nicely.
Great colors.

I Know Right ?!?!?
She looks awesome !!!

I know that to judge a plant based on its color profile is Really superficial, but I'm really digging the colors !!!

I've been waiting for a plant with fall colors for a long time...

Humidity is a bitch for drying if your environment is not stable or too dry/moist. Either they take for ever or become brittle really fast.

And if they take forever, it means a greater chance of mold.

Everything from 45-60% rh and 60-70F should be about right.

That's exactly where my bedroom is at...

It's going to bug me to run an 800 Watt AC for ten days, but it's worth it.

I hang the whole plant upside down and jar it when the stems just below the top bud on each branch (not the top's) snaps not completely off but after giving a little way, leaving but a small string of fibers to hold on to.
I then open it briefly each day, where you feel some moisture going from the center of the bud out, making the bud somewhat soft again. When I open the jar and the bud feels fairly dry on the outside after being closed for some time, I leave it closed indefinitely.

I know there are many ways, it's just what I've been doing in case it helps.

I'm going to try to do all that, but it's all a big judgment call.

I suck at guesstimation. Lol

But I've got my hygrometers to help me...

Whichever way you dry and cure, you're gonna be enjoying her soon!

Yup,.. I figure about 14 days...

PCBuds

Some last pictures before I chop it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210709_181546.jpg Views:	0 Size:	122.2 KB ID:	17895092

The main cola.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210709_181554.jpg Views:	0 Size:	121.0 KB ID:	17895091

The four side colas.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210709_181741.jpg Views:	0 Size:	106.1 KB ID:	17895096

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210709_181741.jpg Views:	0 Size:	106.1 KB ID:	17895096

The bottom cola.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210709_181829.jpg Views:	0 Size:	114.3 KB ID:	17895098

I trimmed it a bit, then rinsed it off in the shower, then hung it to dry with the fan blowing on it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210709_181829.jpg Views:	0 Size:	114.3 KB ID:	17895098

I'll hang it in the bedroom with the AC on in a couple of hours.

I'll cut the side colas off so that it can breathe better.

It's REALLY dense and weighs a ton!