What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Diary PCBuds mini-grow

Maple_Flail

easy on those nutes bro.. looks like your in lock out.. or about to be.

bunch of deficiencies popping up.. calcium, potassium, and nitrogen are all deficient

PCBuds

easy on those nutes bro.. looks like your in lock out.. or about to be.

bunch of deficiencies popping up.. calcium, potassium, and nitrogen are all deficient

OK, I'll add some straight RO water to the tray.

I'll check my PH in the tray.

PCBuds

Yup, good call...

It's messed up.
Thanks Maple 🍁

20210409_131711.jpg

Maple_Flail

try loweing the power of the air flow of your bubble... over bubbling will shift ph up faster then intended (as well as the ro water down)

PCBuds

I drained the solution into a bucket and PHed it to 5.85, then poured it back into the tray, with about half poured in at the stalk.

Then the PH went back up to 6.44

So I added more PH down until the tray was at 6.25

I will have to keep a close eye on the PH now.

I remember not even checking the PH for a lot of grows, but I had a semi-organic grow, where the PH kinda took care of itself.

I now have a sterile hydroponic type setup, with limited volumes of both solution and media, so I really need to pay attention to the PH.

20210409_133958.jpg
20210409_134325.jpg
20210409_141021.jpg

PCBuds

Now I need to calibrate my meter.

And thanks again TdotGonG for your generous gift.

My other meters were crap.
They are so innacurate that plain guessing is better.

I downloaded the Owners manual and will familiarize myself with my new meter.

I don't want to F-it up.

f2obsession

I still think she was better off with algae on her roots than no roots at all...

I agree.

I wouldnt (have) remove(d) thoose roots either. Rather replace the res to a non transparent one gallon bucket or something like that (some kind of semi DWC, so coco filled pot not in the bottom of res, more like just touching the water in the res).
Some algae on the roots is not a problem i think, but the "cloudy" solution in the res seemed not good to me. Coco colors the water, but doesnt make it cloudy or "foggy", or I dont know the right word (dictionary gave me the word "troubled", wich i used before).

Anyway, I'm happy to see, you didnt kill her. Even if she wont give much, she will give you some, and it can be stil potent i think. I would add some ph-ed tap water (about 30%) to the RO water each time, because the deficiency looks mostly CA to me. in DWC it helped me a lot.

Last edited:

PCBuds

I agree.

I wouldnt (have) remove(d) thoose roots either. Rather replace the res to a non transparent one gallon bucket or something like that (some kind of semi DWC, so coco filled pot not in the bottom of res, more like just touching the water in the res).

I may go to the dollar store and try to find a different "reservoir", but I still like the transparent container because I can see the roots.
I don't think that light on the roots makes too much difference.

The vast majority of the roots are inside the pot where its dark.

It's only the few roots that grow into the reservoir that are exposed to the light.

It's not actually filled with coco and perlite.
I have a few inches of clay pellets at the bottom of the pot, so it should be the same thing as having the pot just touching the water.

But it has the advantage of sitting on the bottom of the reservoir, which is more stable.

I'm sure that if I had the pot propped up or sitting on a riser, I'd end up knocking the damn thing over. Lol

This whole plant, and it's pot and reservoir wasn't intended to go into the closet.
It was someone on the forum that suggested that once my closet plant was done, I should put the window plant in the closet.(I think it was Sampas92?)

I thought that was a great idea, so that's what I did.

I can't take pictures like this through a non-transparent container, and taking a picture through the water is really difficult because I can't get my camera to focus.
(and I'm at risk of dropping my damn phone into the reservoir. Lol)

wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==
​​
​​

I've still got roots in the reservoir.
I don't know if those are new roots growing or if I didn't remove all the roots when I switched reservoirs ?

Some algae on the roots is not a problem i think, but the "cloudy" solution in the res seemed not good to me. Coco colors the water, but doesnt make it cloudy or "foggy", or I dont know the right word (dictionary gave me the word "troubled", wich i used before).

Yeah, that makes sense.

I figure that cloudiness is either salts forming or algae and other crap starting to grow.

The reservoir looks good now.
Transparent, with a hint of brown from the Coco that washed through.

Anyway, I'm happy to see, you didnt kill her. Even if she wont give much, she will give you some, and it can be stil potent i think.

I've got to keep in mind that she started off under 50 Watts of light, so the most I would have got was 50 grams.

I think she's well on her way to at least 50 grams so that's all good.

She may well end up with more, but I'm not expecting 400 grams-plus from this plant.

I would add some ph-ed tap water (about 30%) to the RO water each time, because the deficiency looks mostly CA to me. in DWC it helped me a lot.

I've got my Calmag that I use with every watering and there is also calcium and magnesium in my Maxibloom and Maxigro.

I'm pretty sure that my whole problem was the PH being off.
Perhaps even as soon as I moved it into the closet.

She may have exfoliated herself mostly because of improper PH as apposed to adjusting to the more intense light.

I may start to use some tap water as PH up.

ReikoX mentioned that he uses a bit of tap water to adjust the PH, and now that I've got a proper PH meter, I can finally get some accurate readings.

I've also got a butt load of this stuff to make my own PH-up, and PH meter storage solution.

I've got to look up how to do that again.
That stuff is nasty.
It can blow-up in my face and eat right through my skin.

I won't be taste testing this shit. Lol

20210410_084051.jpg

PCBuds

My Grub Grenade (soil mites) will be here in about a week and I realized that I can prepare my big orange SIP container with new coco coir and perlite, and I can wash and sterilize the clay pellets.

I'm going to rinse my coco coir this time.
I didn't do that last time.

Then I can add the soil mites to the SIP container and just let it sit until I'm ready for it.

The soil mites are supposed to be used as soon possible after they arrive, so I can get started on my big SIP container now so it's ready for the soil mites as soon as they get here.

The container is outside now because I'm worried that some nasties crawled/flew into it while it was in the back yard.

I want to sterilize everything that I want to reuse.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210410_092309.jpg Views:	0 Size:	192.6 KB ID:	17828936

Maple_Flail

I'd make a second container like the last one waiting for the grub grenade.. you didn't have as much issue. using that one. just ad a spout to the bottom so you can take samples of whats happening in the res so you can adjust it.

PCBuds

Well,...
I'm thinking of just having one plant.

I don't want to get too carried away with the current plant in the closet, because I don't intend to do that again.

I want to start and finish an entire plant in the big SIP container in the closet.

Like you said,.. everything was fine until I put the window plant in the closet.

The current plant in the closet was intended for the window sill, and I can't fit a small garbage can on the window sill, and it weighs fricken ton.

So I'm just going to finish up the plant in the closet, then start over with the garbage can SIP container that I'm used to.

It is nice, that I can quite easily remove the current plant from the closet, and carry it to the bathtub to hose it down, but I shouldn't have to do that with the big garbage can.

I think what I'm going to do, is when the current plant gets cut, I'm going to put the remaining stalk back on the window sill and stick a seed in the hole of the stalk.

I'm really looking forward to doing that.

I want to see what happens.

I kinda think that the hole in the middle of the stalk is filled with air, and the liquids are in the pith (or what whatever you call it ?)

But that's my plan.

Just one plant at a time in the closet, and experiments on the window sill.

PCBuds

... just ad a spout to the bottom ...

I've always had problems with trying to add a spout to a plastic container.
They always leak, and glue doesn't seem to bond with many plastics.

I've tried all kinds of glues on different plastics and if you think about it, a lot of glues come in a plastic bottle because nothing sticks to it.

I may look into a nylon threaded spout with rubber gaskets, but I normally just put a tube down to the bottom of the container to take samples or siphon off the reservoir.

That way I don't have to worry about flooding my kitchen.

Maple_Flail

the capillaries that feed the plant water are within the Hard wood of the stem they are part of what makes 'hemp' fiber so hard to process as they are small stringy and go from top to bottom.

hollow pith is a trait that some breed towards, however i've never heard of anyone stabilizing hollow pith. most plants don't get it. they have solid fibrous piths.

I do not believe hollow pith has anything to do with capillary action, if that was the case every single hollow pith would flood their pot with water when cut with the lights on.. this is simply not the case.

I suggest using something less exceptional thank Reiko's beans for this experiment. His beans are great.. It is hard to see much coming out of this.

PCBuds

I suggest using something less exceptional thank Reiko's beans for this experiment. His beans are great.. It is hard to see much coming out of this.

I still want to see what happens.

I like doing dumb shit. Lol

I'm only going to waste one seed.

That leaves me with six, and ReikoX has sent me more seeds.

More than half of what I've done and am currently doing is just plain wrong, but I've got it working somehow.

There are plenty of things to be learned from the mistakes of dumbassery... lol

I'm thinking that the tap root will grow down the hole and into the old root system and devour the root system from the inside out.

In a zombie like kind of way. Lol

I suppose that whether it is "air" or "liquid" in the hole, it may be lacking in oxygen, but, it may actually be the oxygen transport tube for the plant ??

I'm sure that ReikoX is curious too.

PCBuds

The plant is coming along nicely...

She's got quite a few orange hairs, so she's pretty far along, and may not get too many more buds.

I do expect her to fill in more and I'm quite confident that I will have more than 50 grams.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210412_120718.jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.1 KB ID:	17830763
Click image for larger version  Name:	20210412_120718.jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.1 KB ID:	17830763
Click image for larger version  Name:	20210412_121012.jpg Views:	0 Size:	98.2 KB ID:	17830764
Click image for larger version  Name:	20210412_121053.jpg Views:	0 Size:	78.0 KB ID:	17830765
Click image for larger version  Name:	20210412_121121.jpg Views:	0 Size:	95.7 KB ID:	17830766
Click image for larger version  Name:	20210412_121153.jpg Views:	0 Size:	79.6 KB ID:	17830767

I finally have the PH under control, but I have to constantly add PH down to the reservoir.

I have to do it every day.

PCBuds

The Grub Grenade is on its way, so I want to have the big SIP container ready for when they get here.

I don't have to plant a seed in it right away, it can just sit and wait until the closet is available.

I should have much better luck with the big SIP container that I've grown accustomed to.

miss squirrel

I've tried all kinds of glues on different plastics and if you think about it, a lot of glues come in a plastic bottle because nothing sticks to it.

I may look into a nylon threaded spout with rubber gaskets, but I normally just put a tube down to the bottom of the container to take samples or siphon off the reservoir.

That way I don't have to worry about flooding my kitchen.

A two-part epoxy will stick to it. It comes in plastic containers but separate. When you mix them in a plastic cup and let it sit, you have a solid piece of plastic the next day. Just pick out the one the clerk says in the hardware store.

PCBuds

A two-part epoxy will stick to it. It comes in plastic containers but separate. When you mix them in a plastic cup and let it sit, you have a solid piece of plastic the next day. Just pick out the one the clerk says in the hardware store.

I tried that.
It didn't work.

Our township gave everyone a new plastic garbage bin.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210412_144712.jpg Views:	0 Size:	157.8 KB ID:	17830867

I didn't need to use it because I don't have much garbage, so I thought I would turn it into a redneck hot tub. Lol

It has no holes in it except where the metal bar goes through the bin, and water was leaking out of that area.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210412_144604.jpg Views:	0 Size:	69.5 KB ID:	17830868

I tried everything, but nothing would stick.

It's High Density Poly Ethylene

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210412_144523.jpg Views:	0 Size:	59.1 KB ID:	17830869

I ended up caking a big wad of silicone to the inside of the bin.

It did stick to the metal rod but still didn't stick to the damn plastic.

But, I figured out that I could put grease between the silicone and the plastic and it would seal.

It would leak at first, but as the water level rose, it would create pressure and seal itself..

I could then enjoy a redneck swim...

It was quite refreshing. Lol

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210412_144559.jpg Views:	0 Size:	76.5 KB ID:	17830870
Click image for larger version  Name:	20210412_144559.jpg Views:	0 Size:	76.5 KB ID:	17830870

I didn't want to remove the metal rod, because I wanted to still use it as a garbage can.

With the rod removed, I could have just put duct tape over the holes.

Duct tape of course being the go-to fix all for anything a redneck needs to fix. Lol

This is really the only way to properly seal a tap or valve on High Density Poly Ethylene.

Grease or wax can help but a compression seal is best.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20210412-145123_Samsung Internet.jpg Views:	0 Size:	48.8 KB ID:	17830872