What's new

PC scrog noob setup.. comments appreciated!

realistik

Okay, so my seeds have sprouted.. and I need some advice as to how far away to put them from my lights. I pulled two of my 26w CFL's out because I'm paranoid that it's going to dry out my soil too much, and possibly damage my young seedlings..

Here's my light distance

Remember, I'm a noob and I need the advice.. and I'm almost positive I need to move them closer to the light, because of how much better CFL's work the closer they are..

realistik

I mixed together a sugar/yeast blend for c02. I felt like they weren't getting enough air being passed over them, with the intake being at the bottom. Does anyone else recommend this in a micro grow? Also, thoughts on light distance?

Temp & Humidity:

Here is a side and top shot of one of the seedlings:

The other:

Do they look OK for being 3 days old?

realistik

I put a bend in my light chamber's acrylic, allowing the seedlings to be placed closer to the CFL's through the acrylic.. (they seem to like it much better now)

I have a temporary c02 bottle and hose run to the plants.. which is helping a shit ton since the yeast started fermenting.. I am going to rig up something a little more permanent soon.. Does anyone else use any form of c02 in their micro grow?

Also added wheels. I didn't realize how often I was going to be getting into this thing.. it's addictive!

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
Yeah, I'm definitely looking into a making a carbon scrubber.. only problem is making one for something that is supposed to appear as a computer.. haha.. I'll post pics for whatever I come up with

Did you ever get one made? Check out this idea I had. I haven't actually tried it yet but it fits your requirements perfectly. I'll be using it on an 80mm fan (very high pressure model) blowing into the carbon. The ingredients are carbon of course, and an 80 to 120mm fan adapter, 2 x metal fan grills, and an old 25mm thick 120mm fan to act as a spacer. Where the blades were will be filled with carbon granules and the screen either side holds them in. The size adapter helps increase surface area, and you could use any thickness fan as the spacer to suit the particular setup.

Mine will be bolted to the outside of my pc with the exhaust fan inside, and will hopefully look like an external fan. I hope it works.

Anyway, the co2, the wheels, everything, it all looks great, keep it up :yes:

realistik

Did you ever get one made? Check out this idea I had. I haven't actually tried it yet but it fits your requirements perfectly. I'll be using it on an 80mm fan (very high pressure model) blowing into the carbon. The ingredients are carbon of course, and an 80 to 120mm fan adapter, 2 x metal fan grills, and an old 25mm thick 120mm fan to act as a spacer. Where the blades were will be filled with carbon granules and the screen either side holds them in. The size adapter helps increase surface area, and you could use any thickness fan as the spacer to suit the particular setup.

Mine will be bolted to the outside of my pc with the exhaust fan inside, and will hopefully look like an external fan. I hope it works.

Anyway, the co2, the wheels, everything, it all looks great, keep it up :yes:

Dude, bad ass idea. That does fit my setup perfectly.. since I only have that one 120mm as an exhaust. I have my light cab sealed off from my grow area, so I don't see any air escaping through the light exhaust, I could be wrong. Either way, even if I do end up making two, it's cheap and extremely easy.. I really wasn't looking forward to having to build something outside of my case to block the smell..

I'm going to throw one of these together, just gotta order a couple of fan grills.. I'll upload some pics after I do.. hit me up if you end up getting yours together..

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
Yo I did! I used a 25mm spacer fan and even with a good 80mm delta fan it doesn't push nearly enough. I would like to try a 10mm spacer fan next. I forgot you're using a 120mm fan, so it doesn't raise the surface area for you....still, it does provide some stealthy possibilities :)

The hole in the spacer is to fill it, then it got shaken/tapped for a long time, then taped over.

realistik

Yo I did! I used a 25mm spacer fan and even with a good 80mm delta fan it doesn't push nearly enough. I would like to try a 10mm spacer fan next. I forgot you're using a 120mm fan, so it doesn't raise the surface area for you....still, it does provide some stealthy possibilities :)

The hole in the spacer is to fill it, then it got shaken/tapped for a long time, then taped over.

Looks great man. I see since you're using an 80m and your filter is 120mm.. you're having to use that blue piece.. Shouldn't I just have my 120mm mounted to the filter I make?

Inside view:

I could either mount my filter on to the back like this, or move the entire thing inside the case, but I kind of want the extra space inside.

I bought two silver fan filters for either side of my 120mm body.. the only thing I'm worried about is if my fan is going to be strong enough to push air through the carbon filter.. hell, if not, guess I'll just be buying a stronger fan.. we'll see when my fan grill/filters get here..

Here's the ebay link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350257121379

Thanks for the ideas
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350257121379

Strangely

Looking really good realistik! Nice and neat. Those seedlings will soon be thriving!! :)

Speaking of which that's a nice neat idea with the fan filters Scrub!

Hella THC

Yup, those are looking fine for being 3 days old. You should be able to get them pretty close to the lights (as you have) because you're running a high spectrum/low wattage CFL. I ran into heat problems trying to run a bunch of 42w warm spectrum CFLs... I fried over half my crop.

Feel free to check the link in my sig. You might be able to learn from some mistakes I made.

Best of luck,

- Hella

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
looks like a great setup!

those seedlings look like they are in the final pots - it can be quite easy to overwater with tiny plants in big pots - so try and let them dry out a bit inbetween waterings :)

good luck

V.

realistik

looks like a great setup!

those seedlings look like they are in the final pots - it can be quite easy to overwater with tiny plants in big pots - so try and let them dry out a bit inbetween waterings :)

good luck

V.

I've been watering them every other day.. But I do squirt some water around the base of each seedling about once a day.. Trust me, it's like a desert in there right before I water them.. I will cut out the little squirt I give them everyday if I need to..

grouchy

I would let them dry out till the dirt feels "light". They have enough roots that they don't need the soil constantly wet right now. By letting them dry out the roots will get the oxygen they need and they will grow faster trying to find water.

realistik

I would let them dry out till the dirt feels "light". They have enough roots that they don't need the soil constantly wet right now. By letting them dry out the roots will get the oxygen they need and they will grow faster trying to find water.

Okay, I'm going to cut out the light watering and just give them one good watering, every other day, when the dirt feels light.. Thanks for the advice.

Also, I checked out your grow, grouchy, very nice.. I love the cooltube..

I'm thinking about building a cab very similar to yours, and I think you sold me on the 70w hps..

Hella THC

Lookin good real! Let me throw something in about the watering:

Don't try and find a schedule to water on. That's what I was fucking up on. Now, I just wait until they need it. Sometimes I don't even water them all at the same time because some get drier faster due to positioning in the box, size of the root mass that varies plant for plant, and direct airflow on that given pot.

Its almost like, us as growers need to learn Cannabis as a language. The better we understand what the plants are saying to us, the better we become at tending to their needs.

Keep it up man!

Best,

- Hella

realistik

Its almost like, us as growers need to learn Cannabis as a language. The better we understand what the plants are saying to us, the better we become at tending to their needs.

That made me laugh out loud.. but it's so true.. I just want to take care of my babies, you know? I think you and I see eye-to-eye on this! I guess sometimes you just have to let them be.. and grow on their own.. and help them when they need it.. lol. Thanks for the advice on the watering, btw. I'm going to make some adjustments fo sho.

grouchy

Thanks for the kind words realistik. I can't wait to put my cab to full use this winter. Did you see the layout in my thread. Using that size you can get it all cut out of one 4'x8' piece of 1/2" plywood. The guy over at lowes cut the whole thing up for me for free too:YaRight:

The biggest problem new growers have is over watering. I love to take care of my plants too and it is hard to just let them go but if you look at the decrease in yield you could suffer it makes it easier to leave them alone. As the rootball fills up more of the pot the water schedule will change. Temps can affect the watering times too. The hotter it gets the more the plants transpire (sweat).

realistik

hahah.. that is great that the Lowes guy contributed to growing bud and doesn't even know it.. did you build yours with a raised floor? I like the way your intake is done using air from the floor.. I assume the heat just all travels up through the wall in between the veg and flower cabs.. does it work well? I bet your temps stay very close to the ambient temp because of your cooltube.. it looks effective.. love that thing! the 120mm not have a problem pulling air through it?

grouchy

I was laughing inside the whole time he was cutting it. The guy did a damn good job and was real friendly. He never did ask what it was for so I never had to lie to him.

The cab pulls air in through another cab with a raised floor. I cut the holes straight through both floors. The biggest problem I have is that I am venting into an enclosed space. The cab is located inside another cab which spikes my ambient temps. I have a plan for fixing it but the cab is not located inside my house and the temps will be dropping soon. I will see how this winter plays out to see the direction I will be taking it. I am hoping my temps drop far enough that I can stick my 100w cmh bulb in it but that was not possible this summer.

The heat moves from the top of the veg room to the bottom of the flower room. I love the hollow wall design and it works great. It was almost a perfect light trap but I did add a board to the ceiling of the veg room to help control light leaks.

The two 120mm fans are tuned down with a walmart ac-dc adapter with the adjustable voltage. I can turn them up or down but I have them running at the voltage that they can not be heard standing right next to it. My cabinet is 98% stealth and I would like to keep it that way.

Anyways, I didn't mean to hi-jack the thread so lets get back to your show. If you have more questions please feel free to come on over to my thread.:joint:

Latest posts

Latest posts