What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Paying College Athletes

alpo

Should college athletes get paid?

Why should college athletes get paid for attending college and get scholarships while every other regular student must pay the college to attend their school

if a regular student doesn't have the money for college they have to take out loans or get a job

so why should a college athlete get paid while every one else is paying the school

and if they start paying them will the athletes go on strike for more money like pro athletes?

R

redeyesurprise

The cost of tuition, room and board, books and the rest of the trimmings that go along with being a scholarship athlete should be more than enough in my opinion. However, a tenured athlete is not allowed to work unless it is in the summer when they are not in class.

I don't believe that they should be paid to play, but they should be allowed to hold jobs if they need/want the extra cash. As long as said jobs are legit and they can prove that there are no "extras" being paid for their labor and the student/athlete can maintain his/her grades I see no foul.

303hydro

senior primate of the 303 cornbread mafia
Veteran
If you think its' unfair that they get scholarships then you should also argue that pro athletes and super models shouldn't make millions cause I have to work a job for money.....

I am glad they get something. Everybody else is capitalizing on them just like EA sports making video games with their likeness and only the schools/ association get kickbacks...... Not that Blue Chips type shit isn't going on but still....

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
They should not be paid. I dont think the coaches should be paid that kind of money either. They should get what all teachers are paid in collage weather your a math professor or a basketball coach

Bunz

Considering the tens of millions of dollars these athletes make for the school, there should be some sort of compensation. BCS bowl games pay the school between 8-15 million dollars. Since it's the athletes that people are paying to see, shouldn't they be reimbursed somehow? For those of you saying their education is their reimbursement, what about those non-athletes that are awarded scholarships. How much money do they bring into the school?

alpo

i think they should use the money they make from sports to make college free for everyone. all the grade school is free. elementary school is free, middle school is free, and high school is free. i think college should be free too. for most people a college degree makes a big difference in finding a job. but that wont ever happen

Latest posts

Latest posts