What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Past lives?

SuperWeed

Bhavatu sabba-maṅgalaṃ
Rakkhantu sabba-devatā
May there be every blessing.
May all heavenly beings protect you.

If the past present and future exist all in the moment than any choices you make are predetermined. All the possible "futures" are already there. They all exist simultaneously side by side in a grand illusion.

God, time, people , the universe are all an illusion that is born from emptiness . Nothing "exists" outside the egos manifestations.

--------
Now see, I don't buy this. I am sold on the Roads Not Taken Theory. See, if I were God, or the Universe; I would be infinitely curious. Part of that curiosity would lead me to want to know what the talking monkeys are gonna do next!? So, I would let them choose and build whole universes upon that choice.

And if we are one with the Universe/Creator, then it makes even more sense. I have had that "still, small, voice" BOOM at me to NOT DO SOMETHING, and still, I did it. I could sense the outcome and went on anyway, because "I knew better".

Why would the warning come, if not for our gift of free-will? IF it were written and fixed, no warning would come, because there would be no need. Time and space, it is all flexible. Which is why it is described like water. It flows. And we are carried along, making choices and changing destiny, always.

I believe that we can change our destiny, by the choices we make. I believe that we can control gravity, time, space, matter, energy,,, "I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High" - Jesus of Nazareth. It is true.

We are Gods and the world really is, just a reflection of our inner selves. "The kingdom of heaven is within you, that's where the kingdom of hell is too" - Dale Carnegie

“Whenever you go out of doors, draw the chin in, carry the crown of the head high, & fill the lungs to the utmost; drink in the sunshine; greet your friends with a smile, & put soul into every handclasp. Do not fear being misunderstood & do not waste a minute thinking about your enemies. Try to fix firmly in your mind what you would like to do; & then without veering off direction, you will move straight to the goal. Keep your mind on the great & splendid things you would like to do, & then, as the days go gliding by, you will find yourself unconsciously seizing upon the opportunities that are required for the fulfillment of your desire, just as the coral insect takes from the running tide the element it needs. Picture in your mind the able, earnest, useful person you desire to be, & the thought you hold is hourly transforming you into the particular individual… Thought is supreme. Preserve a right mental attitude — the attitude of courage, frankness, & good cheer. To think right is to create. All things come through desire & every sincere prayer is answered. We become like that on which our hearts are fixed. Whenever you go out of doors, draw the chin in, carry the crown of the head high. We are god in the chrysalis.” — Elbert Hubbard

Makes you think twice about eating that donut.

LOL

HOPS5K

Lover of Life
Veteran
I've had some times where I've felt like I've been on this planet before...but I can't remember specifics of the past lives.

I remember one of my first memories was playing with a cousin on a playground...went to the top of the slide and I looked up at the gray clouds and dark sky and just felt this weird sadness and my thought was "this again?".

Genghis Kush

Eternal return (also known as "eternal recurrence") is a concept that the universe and all existence and energy has been recurring, and will continue to recur, in a self-similar form an infinite number of times across infinite time or space. The concept is found in Indian philosophy and in ancient Egypt and was subsequently taken up by the Pythagoreans and Stoics. With the decline of antiquity and the spread of Christianity, the concept fell into disuse in the Western world, with the exception of Friedrich Nietzsche, who connected the thought to many of his other concepts, including amor fati.

Nietzsche calls the idea "horrifying and paralyzing"

To comprehend eternal recurrence Nietzsche in his thought, and to not merely come to peace with it but to embrace it, requires amor fati, "love of fate":

My formula for human greatness is amor fati: that one wants to have nothing different, not forward, not backward, not in all eternity. Not merely to bear the necessary, still less to conceal it—all idealism is mendaciousness before the necessary—but to love it.

Bhavatu sabba-maṅgalaṃ
Rakkhantu sabba-devatā
May there be every blessing.
May all heavenly beings protect you.

Mick

Veteran
I'm kinda with Niethsche on the "horrifying and paralyzing", but with the proviso that for me it depends on the reality I'm being born into. Being born a white, middle class male, in a culture bereft of depth, a culture actively destroying the planet I love, and that's just scratching the surface, makes me feel almost an alien. I went on a hunger strike when I was 3 years old and nearly died of malnutrition. But put me in a land based indigenous culture in a time before or after this dominant culture's reign and I'll be happy as.

Acceptance is a beautiful concept but I struggle to keep it a constant in my life.

Genghis Kush

I'm kinda with Niethsche on the "horrifying and paralyzing", but with the proviso that for me it depends on the reality I'm being born into. Being born a white, middle class male, in a culture bereft of depth, a culture actively destroying the planet I love, and that's just scratching the surface, makes me feel almost an alien. I went on a hunger strike when I was 3 years old and nearly died of malnutrition. But put me in a land based indigenous culture in a time before or after this dominant culture's reign and I'll be happy as.

Acceptance is a beautiful concept but I struggle to keep it a constant in my life.

We all struggle ,

" I want to learn more and more to see as beautiful what is necessary in things; then I shall be one of those who makes things beautiful. Amor fati: let that be my love henceforth! I do not want to wage war against what is ugly. I do not want to accuse; I do not even want to accuse those who accuse. Looking away shall be my only negation. And all in all and on the whole: some day I wish to be only a Yes-sayer."
Nietzsche

Genghis Kush

The universe and the human mind do not each separately cause the Absurd, but rather, the Absurd arises by the contradictory nature of the two existing simultaneously.

Accordingly, absurdism is a philosophical school of thought stating that the efforts of humanity to find inherent meaning will ultimately fail (and hence are absurd) because the sheer amount of information as well as the vast realm of the unknown make total certainty impossible. As a philosophy, absurdism furthermore explores the fundamental nature of the Absurd and how individuals, once becoming conscious of the Absurd, should respond to it. The absurdist philosopher Albert Camus stated that individuals should embrace the absurd condition of human existence while also defiantly continuing to explore and search for meaning."

"Basically, at the very bottom of life, which seduces us all, there is only absurdity, and more absurdity. And maybe that's what gives us our joy for living, because the only thing that can defeat absurdity is lucidity.
Albert Camus

Space Toker

Veteran
ok I think anyone who responded to me is right but that is just my good nature! :) ;) have to remember to check it all out before forget as I do so many things. regardless if I ever wake up, great thread!