What's new

passive plant killer

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Hey, carl!

Sure, it's scalable.

If you are putting together a brand new system you have the option of using a different reservoir operating depth.

I had to find a container that kept the media bucket at about the same height as my existing ones. Because of perpetual harvest I have to implement changes one plant at a time, one week at a time. So I have a 16 week process with each change I make. The float control can only be set for one level, requiring both old and new to be able to be run at the same level.

But if you are starting fresh any depth would be ok as long as you can control the air gap between the surface of the water in the res and the grow container. I find that becomes increasingly difficult as you get more shallow. Less room for the float and pump to work in.

as far as cheap locally available containers are concerned, if you are not height limited like oo, the short 3.5 gal version of the five gal bucket would work fine as a res with a 2 gal bucket on it. With the bucket lid it would be less than 8 bucks a unit for the plastic. You would have to run the res at more depth than mine as it is 11” high. The extra volume won't hurt anything.

I found a receipt from lowes for the pvc fittings.

The sink tailpiece is lowes item # 25627

the “marvel connector” is # 25018

also, I wanted to say that a 7/16” spade bit would work on the tire valves. I showed a twist drill bit that you would have to have a 1/2” drill chuck to use and then realized not many people own drills that size. The spade bit will fit anything.

The 45 gal container that i'm using as a volume tank for all 16 plants now is not going to get me a week between fillings. The big flowering plants are really using some water.

I went in the flower room about 8 hours into the period and checked the drip rate. I did it three times with a stopwatch and got 100-104 drips per minute on 8 plants.

I'll have to add a second drum.

Another thing is that the air gap you run in your system should not be predicated upon what I run in my system. Consider the air gap to be a moisture control tool. You will need to match it to your watering method.

If you are running pure sub-irrigation you should have the res level high maintaining a higher wetted profile in the medium.

If you also are going to run a top watering scheme, up even if it's just hand watering, you should adjust your level downward increasing the air gap to compensate for the moisture coming in from the top. The top watering can be controlled for frequency and volume

Controlling both inputs like this allows you to precision dial moisture content.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
here is the first plant to go into flower that's had the pulse watering for it's entire life. it is 7 weeks from transplant as an 8" clone. it is 46" high. that's a yardstick standing up in the foliage. not a bad leaf or spot on it. it's going into 12/12 tonight.

Last edited:
C

Carl Carlson

I would like to nominate D9 as poster of the year on icmag.com for the PPK

i think you need to get this thing on the front page or something. spread the gospel, defeat the PWT!

Carl - I second that nomination!

Hey Delta! Question... Now that you've chopped several plants from PPKs with media wells, have you seen any evidence of roots entering the reservoir through the well? I ask because I'm in the process of building 50 (!) sub-irrigation buckets for the outdoor vegetable garden (I have essentially pure sand soil so I'm very big into container gardening). My plan at this point is to not drill ventilation holes the bottoms of the buckets as I have in the past in order to avoid having water roots growing into the reservoir. This should make dumping the buckets a lot easier at the end of the season. I'm curious if I'm going to get a mess of roots growing through the media well?

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Carl, thank you! Can't you see one of those greenhouses fully planted with pot. Oh yeah! What I was most impressed with is the health and uniformity of all of his plants. He also mentions keeping the medium moist enough to maintain hydraulic conductivity and the effect of frequency on ec stabilty.

Cactus, since the first ppk to date they have all been media wicks but for a while they had cloth wicks too. So from plant one I have never had roots make it to the res.

Every time I de-pot one I see where they have entered the top of the well, then stopped when they encountered the water table.

That must be really coarse sand. Good luck!

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
here is the medium top of the plant i just put into flower from the previous photo. the heaviest root growth yet.

Last edited:
C

Carl Carlson

D9, they should move the buckets over the from the paint section and rename that aisle at Lowes the PPK aisle. They could bring you in as a consultant to demo the item on the weekends like they have their associates do with the grills and the upside down tomato planters.

I couldn't find anything that resembled the 1/2" PVC plug, so I went with a rubber stopper. Was the PVC plug also from Lowes?

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
“D9, they should move the buckets over the from the paint section and rename that aisle at Lowes the PPK aisle. They could bring you in as a consultant to demo the item on the weekends like they have their associates do with the grills and the upside down tomato planters.

I couldn't find anything that resembled the 1/2" PVC plug, so I went with a rubber stopper. Was the PVC plug also from Lowes?”

I think we should have a kiosk were we show the public a new and creative way of using lowes fine products. Such as plastic containers,,fertilizers, potting soil, timers, lights, pumps, plumbing fittings and more, much more. “Step right up folks, and see what you can do in the privacy of your own home.”. Our demonstration should be conducted during church services, in order to “weed” out undesirables.

You know, now that I think about it, lowes probably has a sub rosa agenda to become the worlds largest grow store chain. You can almost get everything there now.

Those 1/2” plugs are there and anywhere else they sell pvc fittings, but your rubber stopper is just as good.

C

Carl Carlson

you might be on to something about Lowes. Just look at the buckets - at least in my area - Home De Pot sells the 5 gallon Homer and than smaller than one gallon. However Lowes has the 5, the 3.5, the 2, the 1 and smaller.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
once the assorted retail giants figure out how much money they're not making all the "grow store" stuff will be lining the shelves at cut rate prices. good for the people!

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
“Great thread delta, and all.

How do you deal with end of flower flush?”

SnowGro, thank you and welcome! Well, up until a few weeks ago I was running the ones in flower independently, so it was an easy matter to dump a res (3 gals) and feed from the top with ro water.

Now that they are linked I can still isolate any one plant simply by pinching the latex tube shut with a clothespin.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Well, I know I said I wasn't going to top water in flower but after seeing the health of the vegging plants I went ahead and installed a pulse system on the flowering plants too.

I used my other mag-drive 950 in a much bigger pump chamber so I could play around with volume and frequency. I installed another cyclestat and currently have it set to fire the pump 5 times during lights on. With the photo switch engaged it won't fire at all during the dark phase, but fires as soon as the first light comes on. I have the interval set at just under 3 hours so it will fire one time immediately before lights out.

Duration is set at 30 seconds which delivers 10 oz's each time. So 50 oz's per day in flower and 40 oz's per day in veg total per plant is being delivered the top of the medium.

Linked sub-irrigation and water table control are also now set up on all plants. The plants in flower are showing a positive response.

The one volume tank was running dry at 3.5 days so I installed a second one. It is linked to the first one by a single drip line.

The photos are self explanatory except for the one showing the drip line going through the wall. that single line is supplying all nine plants in flower no problem.

Last edited:

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
“@ delta9nxs...
methods for removing roots from + cleaning/re-using turface?”

hi, let it get real dry and then shake the biggest part of the roots out, the stem and larger roots. It releases readily from the roots.

Then run it through a 1/4” mesh wire screen, which gets 90% of the rest out. I built a little wood frame box and stretched the screen over it.

Then fill a container with running water so it runs over one edge and slowly pour in the turface. It instantly sinks and the roots float over the edge. I built a sluice box out of wood that is 4” high by 10” wide by 8 feet long, put a hose in one end, fill the box, and slowly pour in about a gal at a time. I have a square shovel that fits into the 10” width just right. I used the trough but any container will do. I have done it in tubs, trash cans, etc.

Not only does this get the roots out but flushes out most excess nutrients. Unlike perlite, turface is internally porous all the way through and each piece will store nutes. While perlite has internal pore space it is sealed up in the form of tiny bubbles that do not adsorb nutes or hold water. This is why perlite floats. All of perlites storage capability is in the surface pores exposed to air. Perlite has virtually no cec. When I test a volume of used turface before cleaning using the dutch 1-1.5 rhp method I get 375-400 ppm of something that will wash out.

I took all of my old turface, approx. 4000 lbs., and put it, without cleaning, into two 8 foot kiddie pools, mixed in my remaining three 4 cu ft bags of perlite and two 5.5 cu ft bales of sphagnum peat, topped it with a 4” layer of worm castings and planted in them a bunch of tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, squash, watermelons, basil, and parsley. The plants are all big, healthy, and growing fast. To date I have not had to add any fertilizer.

later

*mistress*

Veteran
'Unlike perlite, turface is internally porous all the way through and each piece will store nutes.'

thx for specs/tech...
same pool work for 2-4, 40-75l container/1k, fed 1x/day, 1/5 vol cont. which maintain only ~1-1.5cm solution of run-off in basin, which they draw up thru many holes in specialty diy container (lots, lots holes). 24/7 irrigation/aeration w/out automation:)

enjoy your garden!

Latest posts

Latest posts