What's new

passive plant killer

bloyd

Veteran
How long your buds been using this tube.. complete grow?

3 complete cycles, I personally am using the rigid tubing from usplastics but actually preferred working with the tubing aquaticecosystems as it was more pliable and easier to route/coil etc.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Glad you asked! First grow. Been researching for quite awhile. Have a bit of outside expertise to assist, but largely planned on copying what you'd been doing.

Plans aren't set in stone, but a 6x6' area I plan to dedicate to flowering, and a 4x6 or so area for vegetative growth. Was going to flower with a 1k HPS bare-bulb vertical. Veg them up for a month or so, until they're fairly large. Eight total plants. Not expecting to fall flat on my face, and will be adding another 6x6 and four more plants after a run or two.

Not sure which lighting to veg with. Seems that most are going with HPS, while most of my research points to using MH for the blue spectrum. Have to assume that MH produces a stockier plant, better for horizontal use?

a 6x6 is tight for 4 plants around a vertical 1k. if you veg 3 weeks or less you can do it but you will have to train and tie plants back to something. the plants will have to go in the corners.

as far as spectrum i would not buy a mh set up at this time. there are very good mixed spectrum bulbs out there.

back in the recent unpleasantness known as the cold war, the strategist all talked about the "enemies" nuclear capability as their "throw weight". that is who has the most total capability in megatons of sheer power.

i think it's pretty much the same with indoor lighting. we use lumens as a bulb measuring tool. lumens are a measurement of light at the source. the cannabis plant adapts to any and all light in the par range, 400-700 nm.

the chlorophyll a and b charts just show peak response, not overall response. the plants accessory pigments are capable of utilizing all light in the par range.

so if this is the case bulbs with high initial lumen to watt outputs are a better choice for grow power. just more bang for the buck.

i use hortilux right now and have for some time. great bulbs but expensive. they really put on the bud. but there are other excellent bulbs now. you can veg with them too.

good luck and ask away as you build. if i'm not around someone else wiil be glad to help you.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Hey D9... I am pretty sure you are anti coco for various reasons but what about a blumat ppk? Just throwing it out there, I think ashes is doing coco ppks. Id like to hear your thoughts on the blumat media wick bucket...

i'm not anti-coco, i grew some big plants in it. but i prefer turface and rice hulls. i found large differences in the quality of coco. it's all got too much salt in it. full of pests. the atami stuff was good but still needed a good rinse and a nutrient pre-soak.

i've never used blumats but i've read a lot of peoples grows using them and they are alright. they work ok but you still have to mess with them.

a blumat is a drip device and needs to be set up for gravity feed from an elevated tank. the ppk is fed by gravity from an elevated tank. there is an inherent mechanical problem hooking both up to the same reservoir.

the float controlled res operates at a certain level. how is the additional input from the blumat going to be handled? it will quickly overflow the reservoirs in a ppk. maybe it could be done with an overflow line set at the same level as the float so that any liquid above that amount is fed to a day tank where it accumulates until you pump it back up again. or a continuously operating pump in the ppk reservoir with an overflow from the blumat reservoir going back to the ppk reservoir.

but there you go with a pump and if you are going to use a pump why not pulse?

and other than the mechanical problem there is just no point in it as the pulse will way outperform it. all the research papers that i have read on this show greater growth rates and greater plant mass and yields using the pulsed fertigation.

even if the same overall volume of liquid is used. and applied over the same time frame. this is because of the manner in which the pulsed application disperses. it simply makes for a better wetted profile.

what about moving gas around in the root zone?

and the pulsed irrigation is more reliable as there are no fine emitters to clog. i'm using 1/4" id line all the way through. big pieces of crap just blow right through it. i have never had a pulse feed failure except for when i used the wrong size line and it popped off.

i'm about to hook up a 2400 gph mag drive to 24 plants. it will only run 6 minutes a day.

the blumats are set for a range of matric potential and are only adjustable within that range. this decision was made by the designers whose goal was to match the output from the blumats to the uptake of the plant. that is to supply what the plant needs and no more. i believe this approach in and of itself is flawed.

we need to water the medium, not the plant.

all this is about maintaining an ideal interface at all times in the root zone. an interface of water, oxygen, nutrients and roots.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
D9 addressed the possibility of blumats earlier in the thread. I believe he foresaw problems because they both are gravity fed.

I don't see adding blumats as a step forward for this system. There would be less movement/recirculation which would likely affect the stability of the nutrient solution, also you wouldn't get the d.o. you get with the large pulses through the airy medium.

correct!

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Anyway, on anoter note.. I have gnats! and I'm getting yellowing at the bottom, moving up. The only diferences in this, than the last grow is: more rice hulls and new black hose. the hose is marked AQUATIC ECO SYSTEMS, INC., nothing else (3/8x1/4).
I had used it to produce some household RO drinking water and it had a 'garden hose' taste.. maybe same 'gassing' problem as ImaginaryFriend encountered with some hose way back. changed it asll out today, drained all ppks, pulse rez and controll bucket, refill.

and then there is this little plant.. any of you have a clue? must have come with the rice hulls. Was hiding directly behind one of the stalks. Dont think it's rice. That's a shot glass.

Hey, I didnt read below yet, hope your new environment, is finished and it works out, first go..

Is there any logic in more rice hulls, faster finish??

hey i misunderstood you on the bud question! sorry! i just throw my mistakes on the hash trim pile.

i don't know anything about that hose.

even though the rice hulls are steamed an occasional seed will make it. i don't know what that is.

i use the rice hulls as a cutter to improve the air porosity of turface to about 30-35 %. any more than that and you may get too dry of a mix. this is for heavy pulsing.

thanks for the good vibes, i think this is going to be a fun grow, trying new ideas. i should be starting in a few days.

Ghudda

a 6x6 is tight for 4 plants around a vertical 1k. if you veg 3 weeks or less you can do it but you will have to train and tie plants back to something. the plants will have to go in the corners.

as far as spectrum i would not buy a mh set up at this time. there are very good mixed spectrum bulbs out there.

back in the recent unpleasantness known as the cold war, the strategist all talked about the "enemies" nuclear capability as their "throw weight". that is who has the most total capability in megatons of sheer power.

i think it's pretty much the same with indoor lighting. we use lumens as a bulb measuring tool. lumens are a measurement of light at the source. the cannabis plant adapts to any and all light in the par range, 400-700 nm.

the chlorophyll a and b charts just show peak response, not overall response. the plants accessory pigments are capable of utilizing all light in the par range.

so if this is the case bulbs with high initial lumen to watt outputs are a better choice for grow power. just more bang for the buck.

i use hortilux right now and have for some time. great bulbs but expensive. they really put on the bud. but there are other excellent bulbs now. you can veg with them too.

good luck and ask away as you build. if i'm not around someone else wiil be glad to help you.

I do plan on tieing the plants back into some Marlo type screens. Just logging on now to find a tutorial on that. A 12'x10' basement room is my first space to tame and after that I'll have a lot more basement space to consider in the future.

I'm needing to construct more of the system (the pulse mechanism), figure out how I'm working out the veg room (probably will be barely separated from the flowering chamber), and most importantly... have my buddy wire the basement for anything to happen.

Hopefully it won't be too long and I'll be posting some results of a new grower using PPK methods.

Going to check into bulbs and ballasts once I have at least the materials for the screens in hand. There are a lot of grow shops all around me, should have quite a selection and competition among them.

Hey Yall, hope everyone has a smokin' 4th (Got 2, 9 lb. boston butts on the smoker as I type), and stays safe. My town is good enough to announce the DUI trap locations in advance, but keep it in the road and avoid drinkin' and drivin'........and GOD Bless our less than perfect USA........

stagehand

D

DHF

I like the idea of Independence.
Independence takes hard work and dedication to a goal , and most folks aren`t.....independent that is......or goal oriented for that matter....anyways....Your pun on freedom got my attention IF....

Hope all had a bitchin 4th with the 3-B`s...Beers , bongs , and baaaah -beee -queee , cuz I did.......

D9....Holler...DHF.....:ying:....

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
3 complete cycles, I personally am using the rigid tubing from usplastics but actually preferred working with the tubing aquaticecosystems as it was more pliable and easier to route/coil etc.

chit. it's day 74 bloom, they are finishing?. just switched it all back to the rigide stuff but the aqatic 'is' much easier to work with... 3 runs. I'll try one w AQUATIC, others with ridgid. get back to you in 4 months or so.. if I remember.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran

Boyd and everyone else... I DIDNT RECALIBRATE MY METER!!!!!
it was puttin out 900+PPMs and tellin me: 620PPm. PPK can be SO simple and laid back that the simple things are not kept up on. sorry aquatic eco systems.

D

DHF

no idea on yield. (4) weeks to go.
That looks like a solid 1 lb + plant if yas keep them "innards" cleaned out and opened up for proper airflow and lumen penetration/absorption till end of cycle Disciple.......lil short , but I`ve got hopeful expectations for hard nuggage come choptime....

Those in the background look similar , so good luck on harvey Bro....

Respect.....DHF.....:ying:....

*mistress*

Veteran
nice work member disciple...

nice modifi w/ 2x2 strap creating riser/supports...

question.... if were *only* handwatering ea unit, how much to replicate amount of water as pump/pulse feed delivered? leaving bottom mini-res w/ enuf water/nutes to wick until next pour?

maybe... twice watered per day?
@ ~ 1/2 - 3/4 gal per pour? two pours per day? maxing @ ~ 1+1/2gals to 1+3/4gals per day total (so... bottom bucket/minires not overflow w/ too much water.... but still enough for wick to draw up...deplete to damp 'til next water)?