What's new

passive plant killer

howdy, just wanted to add here that everybody might have a familiar source of rice hulls right under their noses.

cool little ro filter. if you run it into a drum with a float valve you can let it collect 24/7.

Thanks for the tip on the hulls. Unfortunately, my smaller town is probably 100 miles from the nearest place selling homebrew supplies. I had read yesterday on the net that homebrewers used it for filtering. I also saw where its used for livestock bedding but none of the feed n seeds around here carry it. I will forgo using it this first time and will make the drive to the "Big City" to get some at some point.

On the little RO filter, I'd probably have to run it 24/7 in flower since it takes a good 30 minutes to make a gallon. I got this because it was not too expensive and it seemed to minimize the plumbing work involved. Plumbing scares me bad.....worse than electricity used to. Now, after a couple subpanel builds and ballast repairs, etc, Im getting a bit more comfy with the magic smoke in them wires.

Hey D9, without sounding too goofy, I must say I wanna be just like you in some ways, especially the part about buying a place out in the county and building my own space to practice my hobby. Thanks and all the best....

stagehand

chennemann

Stagehand - You may want to call or email pbh and see if there is a supplier near you. That is what I did and there was one within a few miles that I didn't even know about. Good luck...

Stagehand - You may want to call or email pbh and see if there is a supplier near you. That is what I did and there was one within a few miles that I didn't even know about. Good luck...

Thanks chennemann! I should have thought of that.....are you already doing the PPK thing or building like me? If you are just getting started, I'll be watching with much interest if you post up some pics occasionally. Sadly, I won't be able to deploy my 4 plant "shakedown" system for about 3 weeks since the space is in use presently. But everything will be built and waiting in a corner by the end of next week, latest. I'm truly stoked and haven't been this up about growing since the early days. One can easily learn to accept semi-mediocrity if one has a tendency to be lazy or becomes dispassionate about this stuff. I've been on autopilot for too long. Thanks again for the tip.Good luck.

stagehand

ps I started buying up stuff to try hempys til I stumbled in here and saw "The Light".......................

chennemann

My contact was Mark Shepherd [email protected]

I am going to use some of the knowledge I have gained from here and modify what i have this run. Next run I will hopefully have the coin to make even more changes. This is a fantastic system.

D9 - It is amazing you are getting those yields with only 3.5 gallon container. Hats off to you my friend...

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
my flower system has the "high-flow" black box thingy but i still have the buckets in veg and they are at 10".

Hey thanks, haven't read up to the "black box" yet....I'm still reading in mid 2011. Is this inovation something I should consider for the controiler bucket on a first ever run? I am committed to building this the way you've found to be the best.

stagehand

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Hey thanks, haven't read up to the "black box" yet....I'm still reading in mid 2011. Is this inovation something I should consider for the controiler bucket on a first ever run? I am committed to building this the way you've found to be the best.

stagehand

this is what i'm running in flower right now. it is functioning well after 3 weeks everything looks good. tds and ph are stable. the plants look good.

but it has not been proven to improve growth or yield yet.

it wouldn't hurt you to build one but it may not help you either.

this is strictly experimental at this point.

Last edited:

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
johndeere now wants $21 for a bag of turface.....did the price go up for everyone?

i just bought 10 bags for $10 each at a turf and landscape supply store. the shit is made from a huge clay deposit in Georgia. a big open mine. it is fired in natural gas kilns. there's no shortage of it and they haven't changed the way they make it. it sounds like price gouging.

go to www.turface.com and they have a dealer locator. find it online cheap and then show the john deere guys the price and ask them to compete. i think each john deere location is a franchise and they have a lot of room to play with prices.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
struggling to load 8 simple pics and having a hell of a time!

all plants are g13. the one below has about a month to go.

Last edited:
Wow! This is from the Good Doctor up north, right? If so, how many females did you have to select from? I know those are some very expensive beans but hey, if you have a chance to pull that pheno from 2, i would sign on for some of that action. Of course in my hands, it probably wouldn't get an opportunity to express itself so magnificently.

Good job, D9. Thats why I'm hanging out around here. Extreme competance and passion.

stagehand

BTW, did you defol those at the end of stretch?

mcfly420

I finally found it for $13 but it needs to be ordered, johndeere wont lower their price... Thanks for the current pricing though, I probably should have got extra when it was $5 cheaper.

Would Diamond Pro CALCINED CLAY TOP DRESSING work also? There is also another company, Pro's choice who makes a bunch of products but it might be less available. Seems the process is the same either way and I just need to worry about particle size? I'll probably just order the MVP though, since its the only one that has been tested for nutrient/ph. The others could be slightly different?

JRpeters even did the media analysis on the Turface MVP
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/hort/facilities/downloads/turf_ma.pdf

http://www.diamondpro.com/calcinedclay/calcinedclaytopdressing.html/
CALCINED CLAY TOP DRESSING has a larger, coarser gradation

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Wow! This is from the Good Doctor up north, right? If so, how many females did you have to select from? I know those are some very expensive beans but hey, if you have a chance to pull that pheno from 2, i would sign on for some of that action. Of course in my hands, it probably wouldn't get an opportunity to express itself so magnificently.

Good job, D9. Thats why I'm hanging out around here. Extreme competance and passion.

stagehand

BTW, did you defol those at the end of stretch?

yes, this is from the physician of the verdant digit of the higher latitude. 3 beans. only popped one. this is it. feminized. i've looked at a lot of photos of it and they are all virtually identical. it's like a clone in seed form.

i'm still learning to grow it. my yields have been creeping up. after my 8 year run with the sweet tooth i'm finding out just how different some of these plants can be.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
I finally found it for $13 but it needs to be ordered, johndeere wont lower their price... Thanks for the current pricing though, I probably should have got extra when it was $5 cheaper.

Would Diamond Pro CALCINED CLAY TOP DRESSING work also? There is also another company, Pro's choice who makes a bunch of products but it might be less available. Seems the process is the same either way and I just need to worry about particle size? I'll probably just order the MVP though, since its the only one that has been tested for nutrient/ph. The others could be slightly different?

JRpeters even did the media analysis on the Turface MVP
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/hort/facilities/downloads/turf_ma.pdf

http://www.diamondpro.com/calcinedclay/calcinedclaytopdressing.html/
CALCINED CLAY TOP DRESSING has a larger, coarser gradation

hey, that media report appears to have been done on used media. i don't think that's a report on new product.

the diamond pro looks just like it and should be fine. particle size should be 2-5 mm like regular agricultural perlite.

also, there is nothing wrong with diatomaceous earth or DE from napa auto parts. i think that # was 8822. a completely different substance than turface, produced another way, with almost identical physical properties.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts