What's new

passive plant killer

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
one more question about cloning. at what point do you feel comfortable moving cuts from the CFL to more light?

generally, i wait until i see a root or two showing at the side of the container. i step them up to at least 600-750 ppm and move them to the big light simultaneously.

zeke99

generally, i wait until i see a root or two showing at the side of the container. i step them up to at least 600-750 ppm and move them to the big light simultaneously.

and at what point do you transplant into the PPK, when the container is full of roots?

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
hey, disciple!

you went down the same path i did. i tried everything i could think of, spent thousands of dollars on equipment. built custom designed high speed systems all designed to make water do something it naturally does not want to do.

my bio-bucket system ran 23 volumes per hour through each bucket. so much flow that it tore off little pieces of roots and i had to back it down. loud high volume waterfalls (2). i built a "spray tunnel/gas exchanger" that sprayed multiple streams of water at pvc and screen partitions. all in an effort to get more DO. concerned about temperature all the time. obsessing about ph and chasing it up and down with large volumes of ph correctors.

i would get through several grows with decent results and actually had a couple of grows where everything went perfectly from start to finish. some decent yields but an occasional failure.

few things are more disheartening than waiting 13-16 weeks for a unit grow to finish and somewhere towards the end losing it all.

financially it can be devastating as now you have to wait another 13-16 weeks to harvest before you see any relief.

since i began playing with these things i have not lost a single plant for any reason. almost 2 years now.

i don't think anyone else has lost one either except for dagger's being confiscated.

plants are not "high speed" organisms. they don't do anything fast when compared to animals.

i dug out my old book by dr resh and it is "hydroponic home food gardens", a different book than you referred to. it has a publishing date of 1990 and a print date of 2000. while digging it out i found hans's old sog book and vhs tape, both autographed. i don't even own a vhs machine anymore.

later

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
and at what point do you transplant into the PPK, when the container is full of roots?

hey, yeah, you can see roots at all sides but they are not bound up yet and the plant is about 8-10". done at this time no roots have to come off.

much larger and i have to trim roots. it does cause a slowdown but not much. i do what i have to do but prefer to not trim the roots.

d9

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
hey, snook! here's a few shots of the cloner.

two of these
drill one 7/16" and 3 3/16" holes.
wick. i show a tiki wick here but use a polyester fabric called thermolam plus. just roll it up. about 1.5" into the medium and to the bottom of the reservoir.
assembled. i fill the res about half way with flora nova bloom at 250 ppm.
the top container gets 1 1/2 quarts of turface
i take large cuts with at least 2 nodes but prefer 3.
the turface is soaked for about an hour with a 400 ppm solution then drained.
i use 26 watt daylight cfl's and try to keep the temperature around 80 f

Pics @> https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=138004&page=55 post 2163

oh yeah, the g13 was 7" at transplant so it grew 22" in 29 days.

Did I ever thank you for these pics? Thanks.

bloyd

Veteran
D9 thanks for this amazing thread! How is that g13 looking? Are you getting any odor problems with the new strains?

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
D9 thanks for this amazing thread! How is that g13 looking? Are you getting any odor problems with the new strains?

hi, bloyd! welcome! and you're welcome!

i whacked the first g13 monday. it was the seedling. i have 2 cuttings in flower now. have not smoked anything yet.

i've also whacked the first og nukush and the first rene x nuken, also seedlings. the og nukush is dry enough to sample and is a very nice smoke. the first 5 minutes nothing happens and i was thinking it was bunk but then it started coming on. great tasting, long lasting high. intense up high initially then an energetic couple of hours.

however, it did not yield much. i only got 7.65 oz's but as i said it was a seedling. i've got cuttings of it in flower also.

the rene is still drying but looks like it yielded more.

i'm not going to run seedlings anymore. i'll wait until i have a cutting to run.

in my possession now are a purple nukush and a kish x juicy fruit that i'm still sexing.

then i have started a sour diesel 13, a chemdawg 13, an iranian 13, an arcata trainwreck, a purple kashmiri hybrid, a colombian hybrid, matanuska thunderfuck, oh zone, a sativa dominant plant named jazz, and an isis. most of these are from the Physician of the Verdant Digit. the isis is from dutch passion.

i have retired the sweet tooth for a while.

i forgot the odor question! yes, everything stinks like hell! i've been taking regular 12 oz soda cans, filling them with pine cleaner, putting a piece of rope in them for a wick, and then a regular size can like for fruit or vegetables upside down over that. camo taping the can and putting them all over the yard. hiding them in bushes and trees. i've also put a mop bucket with a mop in it and a half empty bottle of pine cleaner out on the porch to satisfy the curious.

Last edited:

MedScientist

I begin by PRAISING all the contributors to this thread from day 1! My Garden has never been so Stable!

I would like to share my doings and results so far, maybe throw in some observations along the way.....

In the Vert 12/12 room, I have the 6 plant sites set up as drain ony w/micro fiber wicks (100% Perlite). They are basically set up like the Hydrofarm Bucket system w/plant sites raised to eliminate any res in individual sites, everything is gravity run back to res and sent back to top feed/pulse for 1 min. every 6 minutes. The DIY Poly bags are working fantastic at keeping the perlite and/or roots inside. Since switching to Jacks Hydro/Calcnit, the res's have been crystal clear, ph and ppm stable. The plants are growing as well as any I have ever grown, except they have kept a Healthy Green color since day 1!

(All pics are end of week 6 of 12/12)

picture.php

picture.php

The Strawberry Cough Runt was set up as a single site contraption, with res/3" airgap, but fed 24/7 with airdrip apperatus from res below. When I was on vacation, the drip device clogged, and she went almost a week being bottom fed only. She ate up most of her fan leaves during this time, unable to keep up with previous eating habits. I had planned a major Defol anyways, so no real harm done. In an attempt to get most of her in the light's sweetspot, I propped her up with PVC, and backed her up to the light. In person, she looks like a 1' thick, 3' x 4' (ish) Bud wall!

picture.php

picture.php

:wave: Peace!

dgr

Thanks for the post Med. I wonder if you've hit upon something there. Some people like to yellow their plants up the last few weeks. I wonder if it is as simple as removing the top feed?

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
medsci and dgr! what are you guys holding out for? do i have to come to your homes with a full on ppk already built with a plant in it?

you are both accomplished growers and would grow huge plants in these things.

i'm positive you would get major yield increases.

to all, it has been pointed out several times to me recently that this thread has gotten to the size where it is intimidating new people with the sheer volume of posts.

i feel this is defeating the purpose of providing an easy pathway for new growers.

imaginary friend and zeke have both contributed to the effort by indexing some of the ideas.

zeke, since you have the editing power over your post would it be too much trouble for you to link additional sections by request for a while?

this way everyone could recommend other posts to the index. this could be done over time and would really improve the usability.

thanks, everyone!

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
pulse timing while in veg

pulse timing while in veg

Delta, I'm happy that I've read and followed your thread for quite some time now. There 'is' much to be learned by everyones ramblings and experiences and thankyou to zeke and IF for their efforts. One issue I do not remember though is your pulse timing/duration, during veg. Due to space limitations, the plants I put into bloom (at about 20 inches, 18/6) go from the cloner ppk, into full blown PPKs and 12/12. I'm missing something because I'm geting overflow from the holes in the pot while only pulsing 8to10 oz every 3 hours. 3.5 on top of 3.5. My thoughts are, you pulse much less (timing/duration) during veg.. yes?

zeke99

well my last drain to waste seedling grow was the best so far in terms of yield - 3.75 pounds from 10 plants, 2200 watts. But it required 5 gallon buckets for containers and a long 8 week veg (with 1k MH) to get there. I am finally putting cuttings into PPK modules. The first six went in last night and six more will go later in the week. I'm excited about a new system with no wasted water, no more seedlings and far less day to day maintenance...

I will continue to edit the index and will let you guys know if that's ever going to change.
If anyone wants the code for it just let me know and I will gladly send it.

dgr

delta,
Soon. Very soon. I'm going to step up my lights very soon. I'm waiting on the weather and I was waiting on a landlord inspection but it looks like he isn't gong to call me. I will be running PPKs! I might run horizontal though. Maybe 9-12 per 1K.

delta,
MHO the final design is where it's at. I have read every single post of this thread and it'd be great to have a link in the original post to the (current) final design. For me, it was worth the read. But, my ideal job would be reading forums on the internet and I find the evolution of this system fascinating.

zeke99

delta9 might want to start a new thread with the index as the first post. does that make sense? this forum's software isn't the greatest thing in the world.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Delta,

I check this thread daily even tho I don't post anything (except for this one :)

I will post some pics when there are relevant photos. (ie: a plant(s) in a PPK)

Zeke:

Thank you for the index. it has made my life so much easier.

(and thank you to Imaginaryfriend for your indexes as well)

fun!

(it's funny that PPK's are actually easier to run than hand-watering pots of soilless mix even. there is someone that has a hydro-phobia and this is perfect for them! - and they'll get better results)

thank you!

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Delta, I'm happy that I've read and followed your thread for quite some time now. There 'is' much to be learned by everyones ramblings and experiences and thankyou to zeke and IF for their efforts. One issue I do not remember though is your pulse timing/duration, during veg. Due to space limitations, the plants I put into bloom (at about 20 inches, 18/6) go from the cloner ppk, into full blown PPKs and 12/12. I'm missing something because I'm geting overflow from the holes in the pot while only pulsing 8to10 oz every 3 hours. 3.5 on top of 3.5. My thoughts are, you pulse much less (timing/duration) during veg.. yes?

hey, snook! i'm working on a post on this and will try to put it up later today.

Latest posts

Latest posts