What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

parking lot light???

theguy

I have a couple plants I put outside just for shits n giggles, (I am an indoor grower). My dilemma is that there is a parking lot fluorescent light approx. 40-50 ft or 12-15 m from the plants.....is this enough light to prevent flowering? I can easily see the plants at night if I walk up to them.

If it does prevent flowering I just may have to get out the ol' BB gun :chin:

theguy

reread my post....its a parking lot light, not mine...hope that clears up my situation, thanks

any replies welcome

theguy

reposting original question

reposting original question

I have a couple plants I put outside just for shits n giggles, (I am an indoor grower). My dilemma is that there is a parking lot fluorescent light (not mine, to clarify thigs) approx. 40-50 ft or 12-15 m from the plants.....is this enough light to prevent flowering?

If it does prevent flowering I just may have to get out the ol' BB gun and shoot out the light.

dubmantx

could be a problem. Parking lot lights tend to be HPS or MH. But hopefully the difference between the superpowerful sun and the shitty little parking lot light will be enough that it doesnt stop buddage from occuring.

ehonda187

You would definately be a good canidate for Hermies....not saying it is 100 percent but with this light interrupting your photo period you will be running wuite the risk for stress.
But then again.....if it is far enough away it shouldn't be that big of a problem.....Just think, you can't block out moonlight all night...You should be good if the lights doesn't exceed about the same lumens as aforementioned Moonlight. :wink:

theguy

Thanks...more are welcome to reply

Thanks...more are welcome to reply

cool...thanks for the input...I hope it doesn't interfere...if the plants go hermie I'll just use the seeds in my indoor grows (I got these seeds originally from bagseed and have grown with them for quite a while on account of always getting females which leads me to believe they came from a female plant that went hermie).... and I could be wrong but I really don't think the lights are HPS like most along streets and highways cause there is no yellow tint at all, which leads me to believe they are fluorescents which is probably better than HPS in this situation....Anyway thanks for the replies... MORE ARE WELCOME....I guess I won't shoot the light out (don't want to attract any unwanted attention)

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
just set them in a shadow from the light. If you grow seeds from hermies your chance of perpetuating hermies is much higher

theguy

high and just thought of something

high and just thought of something

Hello everyone, just thought of a solution. Since I am only moving a little ways away I think I'll just take like 8 clones and transport them and finish up in my walk in closet at my new place. This way I don't even have to worry about the light. I think its what I'll do, but thanks a lot for all the advice and the next time I grow outdoors I'll make sure not to do it next to any parking lot lights (that was kinda dumb of me in the first place) :pointlaug

G

well.. just in theory... there never really is a complete darkness in nature-
always moonlight, the other thing is... if it's fluorescent lighting, (usually parking lots are hid -high intensity discharge- lights..) you might not have THAT big of a problem.. cause fluorescent lights i wouldnt think are close enough to seriously adversely affect your plants... though it would behove you to move them into shade.

G

wash the clones down before putting them in your grow room... and serious watch for any pests..

If the plants are fresh to 12/12 then they should be able to adapt. I don't remember where, but I read some studies that showed how MJ plants can handle up to about 10% of their flowering light during their dark cycle which seems to be true since there's a 150 watt hps flood light outside my growroom window which let's in quite a bit of light but has not produced any hermies.

G

The moon doesn't yeild enough light to trigger growth responses in cannabis. Moonlight is generated by light reflected from the sun. On a bright moonlite nite, less than a half foot-candle of light strikes the earth. (One foot candle is the amount of light produced by one candle that falls on one square foot of surface one foot away) Cannabis needs more than twice this much light to stop blooming and revert to vegetative growth. A street lamp, porch light or security light can easily produce enough light to make blooming plants or exposed plants revert to or remain in vegetative growth.

Taken from Jorge's RX

theguy

ok...so basically its a just a role of the dice whether the light is too close... I guess even if I take some clones I'll get to see how the plants do regardless, I should top them around now anyway to slow'em down a little so they don't grow over the fence line...Thanks a lot everybody and I'll keep my fingers crossed

Here is a couple shots of my freebies from gypsy, skunk #1, the nugs were plucked a little early but after a cure I'm confident I'll still get a THC high....the skunk is a good yielder as well, I'm gonna get about 2 ounces at least, and this is under a HPS 250 in my closet with soil, so thanks for the freebies Gypsy

G

I have a streetlight about 50 feet away(and 25/30 feet or w/e up) and it never gave me any probs.

theguy

cool...

cool...

Thanks hoipoi...that lets me know someone has a similar situation with good results... :woohoo:

That makes me feel a lot better about crossin my fingers, :joint:

Latest posts

Latest posts