What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Parents are now responsible for their children's crimes

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Parents of Michigan school shooter Ethan Crumbley were both sentenced to 10-15 years for involuntary manslaughter. I'm curious if people think parents should be held responsible for their child's crimes. Do you think this will be overturned on appeal?.​

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I think the whole point of this case was to show parents all over the place not to let their children kill people. Allowing guns in children's hands early is a common thing in the US. I'm sure after seeing this case multiple times in the news word is getting around to everyone with children.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Parents of Michigan school shooter Ethan Crumbley were both sentenced to 10-15 years for involuntary manslaughter. I'm curious if people think parents should be held responsible for their child's crimes. Do you think this will be overturned on appeal?.​

That is an interesting way to look at it.

Another way to look at it is irresponsible adults being held responsible for allowing children access to firearms that resulted in the deaths of other children.

ETA - and let's go ahead and head this off at the pass - I own several firearms, including AR-15s. Do you know where they live? In my safe where only two people have access. I believe that folks should be allowed to own firearms within reason. Because I have been on public ranges with people who should never be allowed to handle firearms. There isn't a single gun owner out there that doesn't know someone that they don't think to themselves, "this person shouldn't own guns." And if you don't know someone like that, guess what? It's more than likely you who shouldn't own guns.

Last edited:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That is an interesting way to look at it.

Another way to look at it is irresponsible adults being held responsible for allowing children access to firearms that resulted in the deaths of other children.

ETA - and let's go ahead and head this off at the pass - I own several firearms, including AR-15s. Do you know where they live? In my safe where only two people have access. I believe that folks should be allowed to own firearms within reason. Because I have been on public ranges with people who should never be allowed to handle firearms. There isn't a single gun owner out there that doesn't know someone that they don't think to themselves, "this person shouldn't own guns." And if you don't know someone like that, guess what? It's more than likely you who shouldn't own guns.

That's poor parenting. Maybe child neglect not manslaughter. If the parents had knowledge he was going to kill people and did nothing I could see such a charge. It seems far fetched to me a parent wouldn't say something or stop their child. In this case, it's an overcharge IMO. It sets a very bad precedent.

You over hear that your kid is gonna fight the kid he doesn't like. You don't say anything to him. He ends up killing the kid now you are guilty because you said/did nothing to stop it. There are many scenarios where this precedent will land parents in deep legal BS. If this was a thing back in the 70s all our parents would be locked up or have criminal records. I'm curious what happens on appeal.

I grew up with firearms in our house. My family still has many. IMO that is irrelevant

Last edited:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
There is a documentary about this case on HULU that came out today. I didn't know the parents skipped bail and went on the lamb. There is a lot about the case I didn't know about. Worth watching.

Latest posts

Latest posts