What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Paleolithic tool...

exoticrobotic

What amazing finds @Capt.Ahab

That hand tool/spearhead is amazing.

I bet you got a rush picking them up being the 2nd person to handle those in the last 10,000 years or so?

I hope you dont mind a couple of questions.

Any art appearing when viewing them in firelight?

Any weird happenings after photoing/publishing them ?😉

Last edited:

exoticrobotic

I have quite the collection of these tools and pieces of art, having actively searched for these forgotten pieces of history over the last 10 years or so.

It is quite amazing the detail in them.

Some say you can see our history in the stones.

D. B. Doober

Boston, MA
Veteran
The white arrowhead is relatively recent...1000CE-1700CE. What city/state/river? Probably from like 1400CE. The typology is northeastern USA...around NY, Mass, RI etc. Time period is pre-contact, few hundred years before European contact.
I think.

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
I would class the triangular point as either a Levanna type (1300-600 B.P. ) or a Susquehannock type ( 1500-400 B.P.) the two overlap a bit. I've found a couple hundred triangular points over the years. They are the most common.
The ovate blade is older. 3000-2000 B.P.
Ive found artifacts from Paleo to Historic contact eras on the same sites.
Prime habitation areas were always attractive through the ages.
A lot of what I find is mixed in the gravel on the beaches here but I always hit job sites and dirt roads.
Im in Ma. so yes, Northeastern typology.

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
What amazing finds @Capt.Ahab

That hand tool/spearhead is amazing.

I bet you got a rush picking them up being the 2nd person to handle those in the last 10,000 years or so?

I hope you dont mind a couple of questions.

Any art appearing when viewing them in firelight?

Any weird happenings after photoing/publishing them ?😉
No Most of these are strictly utilitarian tools. We all need to be careful not to apply anthropomorphic or other tendencies to artifacts.
I don't think the makers put a lot of value into a lot of these points. Otherwise you wouldn't be finding them on habitation sites where they appear to have been dIscarded without a second thought.
I equate them to nails. They dropped them and didn't even bother to pick them up. Just grab or make a new one .
I think most members of a group had the ability to make them. Some had more skill and finesse than others but I doubt the manufacture was strictly limited to men or certain members of a "tribe". If a female member needed a point or tool she wasnt going to wait around for a man to make one.
And no. I dont have any spritual or wierd shit happening when it comes to artifacts. The only thing I dont mess with is graves of which Ive discovered a few. Last one I found was a couple months ago in a trench dug for a septic system. I took photos for the landowner which I wont publish on the net out of respect for the deceased. I put a tobacco offering amongst the bones, apologized for the disturbance and packed the bones and soil back into the side of the trench so no one else would discover it. Its all covered back up now. R.I.P.

midwestkid

Veteran
Found these last year on 3 different occasions
N.W. Arkansas, S.W. Missouri

Attachments

• 20230209_131429.jpg
    20230209_131429.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 63

ahadbilal

I'd guess that the first one is just debris that was left behind after making a stone tool. It appears to have a few scars from percussion or snowflakes.
The second one is what we refer to as a sex rock, as in It's just a fucking rock is that some sort of Jasper?

exoticrobotic

I don't think the makers put a lot of value into a lot of these points.

For the most part, yes. These tools were not expected always to be retrieved.

But I have an arrowhead that has been worked a great deal and imo would have been highly valued. It is weighted to spin in flight and is a perfectly curved S shape when looked point on. It looks like the stealth bomber in flint.

I also have another tool for carving/skinning that is shaped like a sparrow with the breast area razor sharp. The side of that amazing piece of flint has the profile of a triangular hatted bearded old man whistling to attract the birds.

From the level of detail in such finds you can tell the tool was highly prized.

But these tools were found in pristine forest or sand cliffs where degradation through abrasion hadn't taken place.

exoticrobotic

Some of the finds even suggest ancient humans had skills in stonework that far surpass today's abilities.

Stones that tell stories for example, learning aids, stones that record families pictures in portraits.

I have a stone that is a hand spear/digger that tells a story to kids through bears about the dangers of hidden prowling wolves while picking mushrooms...

Many of these stones have stories to tell if you can relax and let your mind accept the symbols and images.

Last edited: