What's new

Oyster shell replacement help

Bio boy

I have been grinding and smashing now for the whole day and I have 4 cups of flour if 24 needed
bloody hell is the ag lime in bnq the same stuff ?
what els can I use I’m not even going to Finnish grinding this for my soil before I harvest at this rate and no flour for sale locally or online all shells

or this stil the dolomite shit ??

NAF Limestone Flour for Horses, 3KG https://amzn.eu/d/1OqzyrW

Last edited:

Bio boy

Everything except Rockdust and lime is added for 5days it’s cooked up hot and cooled down
I still haven’t finished smashing oyster shells but ordered limestone

I just don’t think I need the full 20 cups to 760 litres as my ph is 5.9? I don’t wanna shoot to 7 do I eh and calculators do hectares and it’s field calculated not indoor

howbloody much do I add , it’s slow release so I can’t gauge it like ph up n down

Attachments

• 3975C124-9192-45DD-B1FC-55CF414B7C79.jpeg
    3975C124-9192-45DD-B1FC-55CF414B7C79.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 28
  • 5300A027-9591-4AF3-8C28-096A4793C381.jpeg
    5300A027-9591-4AF3-8C28-096A4793C381.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 37
Oyster shell has phosphorus. Lime is not a substitute. 25 cups would be fine for 730l. I've added 5 times that. Many other factors determining ph, so much so that I ignore it. When you add 6 cups and have 6.4ph and add 1 cup and get 7.5ph, that's all you need to realize pot soil recipes are just hand me down copy paste with no real understanding of soil chemistry. Don't overthink some recipe you read off a pot website, none of them are balanced or considerate of variables outside the original authors garden.

Tldr: Plenty of limestone is fine but you'll need to bump up PK and trace minerals to match it. A sprinkling of calcium carbonate will raise 3 ph to 5, but it might take a truckload to get from 5 to 7. Ph is progressive but even applying that math it doesn't always pan out. Different microbes different acids, etc.

Bio boy

Oyster shell has phosphorus. Lime is not a substitute. 25 cups would be fine for 730l. I've added 5 times that. Many other factors determining ph, so much so that I ignore it. When you add 6 cups and have 6.4ph and add 1 cup and get 7.5ph, that's all you need to realize pot soil recipes are just hand me down copy paste with no real understanding of soil chemistry. Don't overthink some recipe you read off a pot website, none of them are balanced or considerate of variables outside the original authors garden.

Tldr: Plenty of limestone is fine but you'll need to bump up PK and trace minerals to match it. A sprinkling of calcium carbonate will raise 3 ph to 5, but it might take a truckload to get from 5 to 7. Ph is progressive but even applying that math it doesn't always pan out. Different microbes different acids, etc.
Limestone is caco3 and phosphorus same as oyster bro like they are identical
oyster shell is limestone

FA87B6D9-E366-41FF-B24F-3EA8B630B48E.png
i think ya confused as some lime is a dolomite mix
but this is limestone the same thing as oyster shell

there is a lot online confusion as dolomite lime is called lime but limestone is oyster shell ver different

KIS

Oyster shell flour is 97% or higher calcium carbonate, the same as agricultural lime. It is not high in phosphorus like someone else in this thread claims. It's also a mined product, just from old marine deposits.

20 cups is way too much, especially if your pH is already 5.8.

I can't tell from your link what the product actually is. Somewhere on the other side of the label it probably has a guaranteed analysis. If there's no Mg and it's 97%+ calcium carbonate then it's what you want.

You don't want to add too much either though because you can end up with high bicarbonates or free calcium in your mix which you don't want either, along with too high of a pH.

I replied to your DM with a more conservative recommendation.

"Oyster shell can be used as an alternative to lime. Both are composed of calcium carbonate, which is an alkali, and therefore raises the pH of the soil, increasing the plant’s ability to take up other micronutrients such as zinc, iron and manganese."