What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Overwatering or Nitrogen toxicity?

Z

Ziggaro

In veg they don't mind the rH. I know there's at least one Amsterdam seed seller advocating rH in the 80s for excellent vegetative health, but I dunno if your living room is the best place for her lol.
Your plants ARE very green, so it wouldn't hurt to lighten up just a tad.

Diego_

In veg they don't mind the rH. I know there's at least one Amsterdam seed seller advocating rH in the 80s for excellent vegetative health, but I dunno if your living room is the best place for her lol.
Your plants ARE very green, so it wouldn't hurt to lighten up just a tad.

Assuming it has, at least, some "local"/landrace genes, I would think it is perfectly adapted to this weather, don't you think?

Yeah, definitely my living room is not an ideal place but is what i can do now.

I have a small "tent" but it as a clone of this plant at 18/6, the other clone (i took 2) is just in the windowsill, flowering already! I made this on purpose to learn how clones behave.

Any advice would be very appreciated.

Diego_

IMG_20160124_161828.jpg

Hey guys, seems worst. Take a look at those leaves.

What can I do?

mrS0ul

Meatball in Residence
I didn't see anything on how the pot feels weight wise, could have missed it maybe...

Does the pot feel like it has lead in the bottom? I made up some mix a few months back and inverted the EWC w/ the Perlite and thought I could get away with it.

Mix was too dense and the plant kind of got root bound between upper soil and the over watered soil in the bottom of the pot. Classic newb mistake on my part.

It went from healthy looking [with a wicked mope like yours] then the claw, on to yellowing and then it really got bad and I had to transplant. This is when I discovered the root ball was seized on top of the over soaked bottom layer. Terrible.

She/He [Northern Light] is in ICU and although it looked bad it seems to be pulling through.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How heavy does the pot feel? (Edit: replying to old tab).

You can give them a light mist before lights on, but I would stress more than once a day is detrimental to what you're trying to do.

Diego_

How heavy does the pot feel? (Edit: replying to old tab).

You can give them a light mist before lights on, but I would stress more than once a day is detrimental to what you're trying to do.

Hello there!!
Por is really havy and los like dying really, much worse gahn previos pic.

O did put her into a little closed bathroom and turn on a macjine to low hunidity level to 40% (it is 95% outide)

Also, i'm already thinking about to pour some Water + hydrogen peroxide.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Diego_

Ok, here is the deal

Local weather:
- 28 C / 82 F
- 96% humidity

Tha soil is never going to dry, so I made a choice and watered with water + hydrogen peroxide.

Hope for the best or will learn the hard way. Can't believe is that easy to lose 4 months of work/wait

yoss33

Veteran
Hey, Diego, you can try transplanting the plant into another soil. Remove from the pot carefully and cut with a knife from all sides and bottom. The idea is to remove roughly half the soil (and roots unfortunately) and subsitute it with fresh soil... the remaining wet soil will get its excess moisture sucked by the new soil around it.
Hope that helps! :tiphat:

By the way, you might have Pythium or some similar soil fungus, they love such conditions (overwatering + temperatures around 26*C). The new soil must help, especially if you have warm castings in it or some beneficial bacteria and fungi (many products with these).

Pretty sure it's a first stage nitrogen toxicity... the claw don't lie... especially with a sativa strain that need way less nitrogen thant a classic hybrid. IMO the first sign of over watering is the yellowing of the oldest leafs.

Is that the case ?

hope it help !

Diego_

Hey, Diego, you can try transplanting the plant into another soil. Remove from the pot carefully and cut with a knife from all sides and bottom. The idea is to remove roughly half the soil (and roots unfortunately) and subsitute it with fresh soil... the remaining wet soil will get its excess moisture sucked by the new soil around it.
Hope that helps! :tiphat:

By the way, you might have Pythium or some similar soil fungus, they love such conditions (overwatering + temperatures around 26*C). The new soil must help, especially if you have warm castings in it or some beneficial bacteria and fungi (many products with these).

Many thanks man.

At this point, she is pretty much... Dying I think.

Hydrogen peroxid helped a bit, but wasn't enough. What I did a cpuple hours ago, is to make a bunch of holes all the 5 sides of the pot, then carefuly make holes into the soil with a pencil and then, with a large toothpick, made holes into the soil trough the side holes.

Pretty desperate, ridiculous, I know. Was like an acupuncturr session LOL. We will see tomorrow, soil is drying.

How many days an overwattered plant can survive in such conditions?

Diego_

Pretty sure it's a first stage nitrogen toxicity... the claw don't lie... especially with a sativa strain that need way less nitrogen thant a classic hybrid. IMO the first sign of over watering is the yellowing of the oldest leafs.

Is that the case ?

hope it help !

Hello!

Leaves are yellowing already, and is more whitered than anything elese.

Scrappy-doo

If it's really that close to dying, I'd consider uppotting it, and into new soil that's not waterlogged. Pull off the fan leaves and let her grow new roots in the new pot. Gonna be stunted for a couple weeks.

Diego_

If it's really that close to dying, I'd consider uppotting it, and into new soil that's not waterlogged. Pull off the fan leaves and let her grow new roots in the new pot. Gonna be stunted for a couple weeks.

Tomorrow will get a new pot (bigger) and try to do what youb said. Makes sense.

IMG_20160127_210356.jpg

IMG_20160127_210405.jpg

IMG_20160127_210308.jpg

IMG_20160127_210336.jpg

Scrappy-doo

If the roots are well developed in the pot then that may work. Make sure the dirt underneath the root ball is fairly wet and all on the sides it is moist but not too wet. Then leave it be and whatever you do don't water again till it's light.

If the roots are heavily damaged you may want to consider cutting all the brown away and keep on what's still white. Dead roots won't regrow it will have to grow new ones. Anything white leave on there. Take out as much of the waterlogged dirt as you can and replace with fresh moist dirt. If you go this route you should cut away any dead leaves and some fans also. Less foliage means less need for water and with a diminished root system it can't uptake the amount it needs to maintain all that foliage. She will recover faster.

Always wait until the pot feels light before watering when growing in dirt.

Diego_

If the roots are well developed in the pot then that may work. Make sure the dirt underneath the root ball is fairly wet and all on the sides it is moist but not too wet. Then leave it be and whatever you do don't water again till it's light.

If the roots are heavily damaged you may want to consider cutting all the brown away and keep on what's still white. Dead roots won't regrow it will have to grow new ones. Anything white leave on there. Take out as much of the waterlogged dirt as you can and replace with fresh moist dirt. If you go this route you should cut away any dead leaves and some fans also. Less foliage means less need for water and with a diminished root system it can't uptake the amount it needs to maintain all that foliage. She will recover faster.

Always wait until the pot feels light before watering when growing in dirt.

Hey @Scrappy-doo

A Plan didn't work at all, plant was dying fast. So just did what you suggested:

1.- I was surprised about rootball size, was pretty small for a such "tall" plant.

2.- I made a smaller "pot" using a plastic mesh, put the plant on it and then fill empty space with dry soil.

3.- As you said, I took away all the dead leaves, that includes almost all the fan leaves. Is looking so skinny LOL

4.- Is my understanding she can't take water because of the root issues, so I'm sprinkling water on foliage as I did with 2 clones I took from her a few weeks ago while they developed their roots.

At this point, I'm just learning, I have no expectations for her to recover.

Lessons learned (the hard way)
- Do not use a bigger pot than the size your plant really needs (unless you are a watering master) I would say: the same diameter as the foliage and no deeper than 1/4 - 1/3 of plant's height. Would you agree?

- If you already overwatered your plant, better to transplant ASAP than waiting for any other fix.

- For my weather (so humid), I should use A LOT of perlite.