What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Overgrow Australia 2011/12

SilverSurfer_OG

Living Organic Soil...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Looking good Joeski

Hows the weather been treating you guys?

Been bloody perfect down here :D Loads of sunshine, rain and warm days.

Hoping for a long hot summer. :plant grow:

:smoweed:

SilverSurfer_OG

Living Organic Soil...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Heres some pics of the story so far:

Been very wet here and quite warm which is nice. Now i need it to dry out a bit. Lots of my plants in wet areas and raised up on little mounds made up of landscape fabric and a few bamboo canes. Lots of heavy rains have started to leach out the nutrients.

So i have scattered a light mulch of compost from the abbatoir, some lucerne pellets (horsefeed) and dry kelp chips. This and some urine, molasses, kelp, worm leachate spray. I love my 4 litre spray bottle and wand. I can efficiently feed/water my plants with an accurate spray from 2-3 metres away if needed. Saves heaps on runoff from a watering can and i use roughly 4x less water and effort. :D

This plant and 4 like her are going to eventully be housed in 55 litre bin full of coco, compost and perlite plus some nice topdressings. This is the same plant taken about 2 weeks apart. This setup was an experiment in dwc outdoors but i need the pump etc for a bigger and better project... my polytunnel. Plus it was way too much stuffing around. This way should be way easier and much more effective :rasta:

SilverSurfer_OG

Living Organic Soil...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
PS. I should add that these girls are all my Purple Rhino strain. Also i am not sure if its the lucerne, the kelp or the blood/bone in my compost but the slugs are having a full on party/orgy on the stuff. I suspect its the lucerne they are after... luckily my plants are all big enough to be mostly immune. Just the small lower leaves are being munched. But its stuffing up my plans to have a beneficial insect attracting green manure crop underneath!

I also tried again to get a ring of broad beans around all my plants. Looks like something has eaten them all, which sucks as in my main garden the beans are all but invulnerable.

We live and learn :smoke:

High Country

Give me a Kenworth truck, an 18 speed box and I'll
Veteran
3 days until the longest day of the year...then the stretch and the sexing will be on for you outdoor growers. Good luck to all of you.

SilverSurfer_OG

Living Organic Soil...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yup we now in high gear mate! :smoke:

The weather down here continues to bless my plants with plenty sun and rain just when its needed. :ying:

The 55 litre bins are now all filled up. Topdressd with "rocket fuel" and given a nice molasses, Seasol and EM1 drink to really get the ball rolling. Next time it rains heaps gonna give em a final topdress of lucerne and bat guano pellets followed by some red clover hay.

The One x Blue Moon Rocks

Purple Rhino

High Country

Veteran
WATCH OUT FOR SNAKES

WATCH OUT FOR SNAKES

Timely warning in the hot Oz sun.

A few weeks back a friend was fishing in a remote mountain stream around these parts. He was wearing shorts, boots and was not even tending his crop which was nearby. He was simply fishing.

Walking through blackberry and getting constantly scratched he started to feel very ill. So he went to the stream to sit down and bath his legs in the cool mountain water. He deteriorated rapidly from there.

Luckily another friend was there, just for the fishing also. He is also a deer hunter and is used to lugging out big animals over difficult terrain. He had to carry the other bloke out who was unable to walk.

Eventually reaching a point of phone contact an ambulance was called. The symptoms displayed were that of a King Brown but could not be confirmed cos he bathed his legs in the river and washed the venom away. Thus no antivene could be administered.

He survivied but copped a $7,000+ ambulance bill cos he had no ambulance cover.

1. Get ambulance cover
  2. Wear snake proof gaitors, there is a great one in Oz now that can protect you from every snake in Oz...proven. I have some.
  3. Carry an EPIRB emergency satellite locator, it may compromise your grow...but shit....do you want to live?
  4. Don't go fishing or bushwalking, there are snakes out there, but shit, I get more snakes in my own backyard than I have seen in the bush...tigers and copperheads at my place. Freak me out.
  5. Don't try and kill them...that will generally get you bitten unless you know what you are doing. Shotgun is pretty effective though.
  6. Keep safe out there...look where your feet and legs are going..

SilverSurfer_OG

Living Organic Soil...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yup a mate of mine just lost one of his dogs to a snake. Very sad and it was still a puppy really.

Some alternative suggestions:

Wear baggy trousers - many snakes (eg.tiger) have backwards facing and small fangs. If they do bite chances are they will only catch the loose part of your pants and wont catch your flesh. Gaitors are a good choice if you dont mind the extra insulation in summer time! They will also keep out ticks and leeches if tucked into pants...

Stomp around if you are in thick bush/long grass etc. Snakes are extremely sensitive to ground vibrations.

Carry some kind of machete/strong pole to cut a clear path so you can see your feet.

See Highcountrys 5&6!

My plants seem very slow to flower this year,Strains I have in are
Misty
Shit
Bubblegummer(fems)
Mystery Mix

So far I harvested an Autoflower from the Mystery Mix(was quite good) and pulled a male that was beginning to flower.I'm 90% sure I have another male but otherwise I'm having trouble sexing things!I've been doing this for years!Aaaarrgh.Does anyone have any idea why?? I'm using 3 different soils(pots) and 2 in the ground(ammended soil),so it shouldn't be that,what's going on!
I'm in vic by the way.

G

Guest50138

EzekielDee I don't think you got any thing to worry about, Shit should finish around end of march start off April so there is plenty of time..as for plants in pots flowering early I have observed that pots that are in the sun and get hot = Early flowers (usually about a month earlier) and pots that are well insulated and protected from the sun the plants tend to flower as they normally would So you can use this to your advantage if your after a early harvest

Thanks for the replys....After extensive examinatiion today I've come to the conclusion that I have 5 females and 8 males...Pretty pathetic:(All the shits and MM are male,so I have 3 Bubblegummers(that were fems anyway!!!) and 2 mistys.About the only good thing is that the 2 inground plants(the biggest) are females...one of each.
So fkn dissapointed though:(

SilverSurfer_OG

Living Organic Soil...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
as for plants in pots flowering early I have observed that pots that are in the sun and get hot = Early flowers (usually about a month earlier) and pots that are well insulated and protected from the sun the plants tend to flower as they normally would So you can use this to your advantage if your after a early harvest

Good point. I have certainly witnessed this effect.

From my observations over the past few years i would say any plant that suffers moisture stress (lack of) is more likely to flower earlier (or go hermie if there are weak genetics)

For example a plant that is in the ground but in a small hole that dries out often. This plant will have smaller leaves and growth but will still flower and produce sticky buds. Overall yield will be much less but will be ready much earlier. :ying:

bushweed

Veteran
Donksat - growing Ace seeds sativas in sunny OZ
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

:gday:

W

wilbur

aussieweed sativa

aussieweed sativa

not quite the monsters in the previous post, but ...

thanks to turkeys nest, charlie carp and nutritech's backyard boost as a weekly foliar spray.

cheers all!

Attachments

• IMG_0830.jpg
    IMG_0830.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 12

SilverSurfer_OG

Living Organic Soil...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice plants guys :good:

A birds nest in a weed plant lol. Thats a first for me :smoke:

Had a very balmy 33C day yesterday followed by a nice heavy rain and thunderstorm. I took the oppurtunity to mulch heavily after making sure the spots were well wetted down.

shroomyshroom

Doing what we do because we are who we are
Veteran
you know you are growing a TREE when you go visit the plot and there is a birds nest in it :)

High Country

Veteran
Thanks for the replys....After extensive examinatiion today I've come to the conclusion that I have 5 females and 8 males...Pretty pathetic:(All the shits and MM are male,so I have 3 Bubblegummers(that were fems anyway!!!) and 2 mistys.About the only good thing is that the 2 inground plants(the biggest) are females...one of each.
So fkn dissapointed though:(

That's how plants survive and all species survive...a mix of male and female.

Isn't life a wonderful thing?

Latest posts

Latest posts