What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Over or under watered?

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
Is this lady over or under watered? Its been under 18-6 led lighting for a few months now. It's been growing fine untill recently. I've been trying to let the soil dry out. The top of the soil feels a lil cool to the touch and the pot feels a lil bit heavy still.

What should i do? Im thinking wait for the pot to feel lighter ie drier soil before watering again.
20231118_120446.jpg
20231118_123537.jpg

Normannen

Anne enn Normal
Veteran
seriously tho, stick a finger in your soil next to your plant and feel if it's wet, then try to feel under and if isn't then you have an irrigation problem and you need to water better.
If it IS wet, stop watering it's probably overwatered.
you can also buy an electronic humidity checker these days to keep an eye on it.
looking again, since it hasn't shriveled up, it might be due to overwatering.
since both over and underwatering look similar your best gauge is the humidity of your soil, if you don't have an electric device use a finger (wash it afterwards).

Normannen

Anne enn Normal
Veteran
what are the temperatures in that corner? is the yellow spot in the middle due to light burn(I don't see any other leaves affected)?

Ca++

The petioles are still pert, and the tops upright.
Under watering will usually see the leaf and the petiole hanging, with the top of the plant pointing down wards. Though it depends just how dry we are talking.
Here we have framework that looks watered, with leaves looking heavy.

I think it's a problem at the root. Though at this time of year, the cold brings about a few stalled plant threads.

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
Another interesting thing is when I lift the pot up using just my fingers the plant feels somewhat heavy when but when I lift it up with my hands holding the pot It feels not as heavy. And the soil fills a tiny bit damp an a tiny bit dry. really I can't tell 💯%.

FletchF.Fletch

420club
How often is it getting watered and how much each time?
Which size grow bag (looks to be a 7 or 10g), and in what soil is it planted?
Is there anything in the base of the bag like perlite or hydroton?

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The moisture content is not gonna be the same from top to bottom. The bottom takes longer to dry. If you do not let it dry the anaerobic decomposition of organic material will make the medium/roots smell of sulfur. This is BAD!!. The roots will seek out moisture. The pot should be light, its very noticeable. Always check the moisture content at the bottom of your pots.. When the bottom is dry enough it's time to water again. I still use a REOTEMP 15 Inch Moisture Meter on any plant I'm not sure if it's dry enough. There are cheaper versions.

Your plant looks like it had soggy roots for a long time. You should let a plant wilt from being too dry so you can see what to look for and how heavy the pot is. Cannabis is a tough plant. Ive had plants completely wilted on there side from lack of water. After a good feeding you couldn't tell they were on the ground. Keeping roots wet in a soiless medium causes way more issues. Always error on the side of to dry vs to wet.

Last edited:

Ca++

I'm not entirely settled with my over watering comment. There are signs of historic over watering. Was it stood in water for a while?

Right now there are both signs that make me think long term over watering, yet right now, their are certainly under watering signs. It can be difficult to say, without the history. I wouldn't be surprised to hear it was stood in water, then let to dry out over a few days.

What we really need is a way forward. I see it's in fabric, so I shouldn't have over watering concerns, if there is a runoff system in place. This bag might of been best upon bricks in that tray. Letting water leave the bag. If indeed, it's been stood. Maybe your roots are buggered for some other reason, but wet is favourate.
I would be making up a proper feed, with h2o2, and getting that plant in the bath, to fully wet it. I would want at least 20% runoff, to know my h2o2 water got everywhere. With h2o2 you have enough oxygen, that even dwc isn't over watered.

And now for something completely different. Them bricks/blocks/crate I spoke of. I want in the bath. I want a towel over them, like a valence sheet. Then the plant on top. I want this to look like a wick system, using a towel. However, the bath is empty. We are wicking water out the pot, not in. I can't trust that plant has the roots to drain that big bag before the h2o2 runs flat, so I want to help it along. This is some intensive care, but it's not dead yet.

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
How often is it getting watered and how much each time?
Which size grow bag (looks to be a 7 or 10g), and in what soil is it planted?
Is there anything in the base of the bag like perlite or hydroton?
The plant only gets watered when the pot feels lightweight and the top of the soil fls dry. Its in a 3 gallon fabric pot. There is perlite in the soil. I give about a cup 1/2 of water. Ive been feeding cal.mag every other watering.
I thought about giving a water/hydrogen peroxide to add more oxygen to the roots.

FletchF.Fletch

420club
Which soil are you using, and is it amended with anything?

Sorry for so many questions without any answer. Just gaining info to offer beneficial advice. Different soils hold different amounts of water.

Last edited:

Normannen

Anne enn Normal
Veteran
The plant only gets watered when the pot feels lightweight and the top of the soil fls dry. Its in a 3 gallon fabric pot. There is perlite in the soil. I give about a cup 1/2 of water. Ive been feeding cal.mag every other watering.
I thought about giving a water/hydrogen peroxide to add more oxygen to the roots.
I'd go for a full cup of water fed really slowly

Porky82

It's under watered. And will get worse.
The soil has probably become hydrophobic due to drying to often.
This is an under watered plant. Went away and came back to this.
Leave yours longer and it will look like this!!
20201105_165540.jpg

FletchF.Fletch

420club
Okay cool. Happy Frog holds more water than the Ocean Forest even with the extra perlite. A 3 gallon bag full of Happy Frog could take as much as 3 or 4 quarts to fully hydrate if it has dried. @Creeperpark teaches regularly about the importance of understanding a grow medium's water holding capacity.

So last questions with a reason for asking each:

Was that plant started from seed in that grow bag or was it transplanted?-Wondering if it is fully rooted.

If it was transplanted, was it watered in lightly or to runoff? -Asking this to determine if it had wet feet.

Has it been watered to runoff since transplant? -Again, wet feet(sogged roots).

How many days between waterings? -To understand the dry-back cycle.

Ca++

Jesus. I hope it's a big cup.

Get it in the bath, and add a wetting agent to feed also.

I find a meter of canopy, does about 6L a day. I don't think a cup is much use, and must yet again via off in another direction. The roots probably didn't fail through rot, if you are not answering to questions about them standing in water. They probably just don't work, as they are dead. About half hour of being dry kills them, but you will soon grow more.

The diagnosis may of changed, but the answer remains the same. Get it in the bath and water it properly. If you weigh it now, then when wet, you might get murdered for filthing up the bathroom scales. I would risk it though. Not everybody can lift a pot to judge it, but most of us can read a scale. It's no shame. I weigh things regularly, and it's better than guessing. Your problem here is not really knowing the dry weight that works. You should weigh straight after potting up, and call the soil as supplied, dry. Towel dry is wrong. Compost dry, as purchased. With daily weighing you see the days exact water use. Allowing you to water just enough, to see the plant at bag weight again the next day. You can't learn this without scales though. Not unless you're an absolute super hero