What's new

Outlaws and Criminals

GroDoc

I came across this quote from sam keen:

"There is a crucial difference between the criminal and the outlaw. The criminal is a perverse rebel who acts out against the law, a subnormal person who is unable to care enough about others to bear adult responsibilities. The outlaw is a supranormal individual who cares about others too much to accept the limitations on eros that are imposed by normal life. Thus the outlaw quest moves outside and beyond, not against the law. While the rebel is merely an antinomian, the outlaw is motivated by a quest for autonomy, self-government... not rooted in any undigested psychological need to rebel, but in a passion for justice, dignity and freedom. The trans-moral conscience of the outlaw is the inner voice of a universal community struggling to be born."

But the law only recognizes "outside and beyond" as AGAINST, like when Dr. Martin Luther King was jailed, or Dr. Timothy Leary harassed for that matter.

So, considering this further, it seems there's value in the distinction between against as in "lighting up a joint in front of a cop" and "outside and beyond" as in medical cannabis grower co-ops and distribution clinics. peace.

add: never mind

Last edited:
J

JackTheGrower

undigested psychological need

Weird I was thinking Cannibalism when i read that.. Is it a quote?

Great read.. never thought about it like that.

Last edited:
B

Blue Dot

I came across this quote from sam keen:

"There is a crucial difference between the criminal and the outlaw. The criminal is a perverse rebel who acts out against the law, a subnormal person who is unable to care enough about others to bear adult responsibilities. The outlaw is a supranormal individual who cares about others too much to accept the limitations on eros that are imposed by normal life. Thus the outlaw quest moves outside and beyond, not against the law. While the rebel is merely an antinomian, the outlaw is motivated by a quest for autonomy, self-government... not rooted in any undigested psychological need to rebel, but in a passion for justice, dignity and freedom. The trans-moral conscience of the outlaw is the inner voice of a universal community struggling to be born."

But the law only recognizes "outside and beyond" as AGAINST, like when Dr. Martin Luther King was jailed, or Dr. Timothy Leary harassed for that matter.

So, considering this further, it seems there's value in the distinction between against as in "lighting up a joint in front of a cop" and "outside and beyond" as in medical cannabis grower co-ops and distribution clinics. peace.

add: never mind

Don't ever compare "distribution clinics" to Martin Luther King. Thank You in advance.

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
Don't ever compare "distribution clinics" to Martin Luther King. Thank You in advance.

That is only because you see "Distribution clinics" in the same clouded eyes that Racists viewed MLK--
You are Prejudiced to them...you see them as, "All the same"--

J

JackTheGrower

What's the origin of "Distribution Clinic" as a public term?

GroDoc

blue dot said "Don't ever compare "distribution clinics" to Martin Luther King. Thank You in advance."

Is that an order? :). Does my post feel threatening to you? Do you have some truth to share besides "don't ever"?

The point I was trying to make, is that there might be a difference between someone who fights against a belief system thereby giving it validity, and someone who chooses a path that falls outside societal norms. A moving toward vs fighting against sort of distinction. In my experience, this distinction is meaningful.

There are parts of the quote that don't sit well with me. "Subnormal and supranormal" smack of judgement and self-aggrandizement in my ear. The author was reacting defensively, but I still think his point has merit. peace.

I picked up the term "distribution clinic" somewhere else. It didn't even cross my mind a new term was being introduced.

M

movingtocally

I agree. Martin Luther King was a half-literate hack who stole other peoples material for a living, in between cheating on his wife.

Distribution clinics actually help improve the quality of life of many.

Oh no I didn't..

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
I agree. Martin Luther King was a half-literate hack who stole other peoples material for a living, in between cheating on his wife.

Distribution clinics actually help improve the quality of life of many.

Oh no I didn't..

Goddamn you to Hell!!!

for telling the truth!!!

B

Blue Dot

I agree. Martin Luther King was a half-literate hack who stole other peoples material for a living,

Distribution clinics steal (by lowballing the vendor) and make a living off their wares by reselling them for a ridiculous markup so you're correct, MLK and clinics are exactly the same.

johnnyla

Veteran
Distribution clinics steal (by lowballing the vendor) and make a living off their wares by reselling them for a ridiculous markup so you're correct, MLK and clinics are exactly the same.

who's fault is all this? i thought medical cannabis was legalized in CA in 1996. Blame the politicians and the pigs. I don't like the prices either but what can you do. Take matters into your own hands.

johnnyla

Veteran

Stealing is taking something without permission. It cannot be stealing if the "vendor" chooses to sell at said price.

Are you really that stupid or is your English not so good?

B

Blue Dot

Stealing is taking something without permission. It cannot be stealing if the "vendor" chooses to sell at said price.

Are you sure you're not a D owner?

Pythagllio

Patient Grower
Veteran

Some share Humpty Dumpty's philosophy of language.

"When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, `it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less."

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
First off, love the read, very insightful :yes:

There are parts of the quote that don't sit well with me. "Subnormal and supranormal" smack of judgement and self-aggrandizement in my ear.

I disagree with you on this though. You're looking at normality as a value judgment, but that's not how it is being used here. In this case, normality is merely the midpoint on the graph, so to speak, the majority.

This is a required distinction, since the author is going on to specify subsets within a larger group. I don't think it's a value judgment, merely a delineative phrase.