What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Outdoor Surveillance Cameras

L

lloy

These camera's are meant for animals. When using for people extra effort must be put into concealing them. The #1 way people will spot it is its unatural profile.The human eye can pick out 90 degree angles and straight sametrical edges very easily. You will need to glue sticks and twigs from the surounding area, moss and bark will also work.. Make it look as natural as possible. also make sure it is pointed in a direction away from the sun as glare on the lens would be a dead give away to leo or rippers. Another option is placeing it higher in a tree, if someone comes in the patch they obviously are not looking up in the trees. hope this helps LLOY

T

turtle farmer

I'm using an older Moultrie--I got it from a hunter that upgraded to a newer model.
I've seen nice ones at cabelas or bass pro...
I would love to have put this guys pic on any website,but didnt want legal backlash.
What I'd like to learn about is some outdoor day/night cams I can put on my building.
not interested in watching someone rip me off via comp. or phone,just recording a theif.
building is alarmed with a pair of dogs out front,
Is there a camera system that is wireless and can record or be viewed 500 feet away???

T

turtle farmer

can anyone recommend a good brand of outdoor video camera??
looking for day/night,all weather,with great picture

I think the trail cameras work great its all in how you use them and set them up,i dont put them right on the plants ill put it on the main trail getn in to the garden and i put it about 12' - 15' up point down,i use tree stand screw in foot pegs to setup and check the trail camera and take them down when i leave,if you sent it up right you can sneak around the back of the tree that the camera is in so you dont set it off going by it,and you can get some pretty decent trail cameras for cheap as $60 and up over $500 for one that record video,but have a couple for cabels that i use that i paid $125 for and they do everything i need but putting them out of reach is the answer for me hope it help you!!!

MoeBudz^420

Veteran
All I can say is make sure they are aligned/pointing to cover the correct area, especially the lower end ones W/O a "laser aimer". W/ used for ppl, they are usually placed high and out of reach - but a lack of proper angles can cause missed shots.

This was my mistake. Bastards got away when they shouldn't have. My mistake, but now that I've tested my air-cooled hood. I doubt outdoor will happen again... maybe, maybe not. If so, mistake will def. not be repeated.

Ensure the alignment/angle is correct, or you'll miss both your shot, and your plant(s)!

Peace

Strainhunter

Tropical Outcast
Veteran
Ok since the one I linked isn't a viable option, anyone know of one that still works and can send SMS messages with a pic?

They are still being sold but to my knowledge none of them work in the US (anymore).

Unless some smart guy (or the manufacturer) changes the software...

I now recommend getting a motion sensitive IP cam .
If no hardwired internet is available use one of the flatrate Broadband Wireless internet sticks such as sold HERE and elsewhere (but costing more).

supermanlives

Veteran
what ever you do camo them well. i used to find like 3 a year on the farm backeast. damn poachers. they are easy to find . the old ones had a flash and made a click . the new ir ones are better and cannot be found without nightvision. they stand out like a beacon at night you wont miss the flash thats for sure

Strainhunter

Tropical Outcast
Veteran
Looks good, I like it!

Maybe use camo tape to cover up the cams and make sure you don't have them take your own picture
(happens REALLY EASY!!!).
Leaving behind that kind of evidence if they were to be found would suck!

Also use tinting foil over the white IR flash LED's. The flash will still work just as well.

sg560.jpg

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
put this much effort into finding a more secure spot, and you have solved the ripper problem.
a camera is not going to deter someone who is deleriously happy over finding possible pounds of dank, right? sure you may be able to identify them later (if ever) but that leads to other problems, and why would you want that?

proper planning will take care of discovery.

nobull56

ICMag Donor
I'm using an older Moultrie--I got it from a hunter that upgraded to a newer model.
I've seen nice ones at cabelas or bass pro...
I would love to have put this guys pic on any website,but didnt want legal backlash.
What I'd like to learn about is some outdoor day/night cams I can put on my building.
not interested in watching someone rip me off via comp. or phone,just recording a theif.
building is alarmed with a pair of dogs out front,
Is there a camera system that is wireless and can record or be viewed 500 feet away???

I could not find one. Don't try to run cable over one fifty feet, set up the internet recoarder by the grow & use wfi to view in the house. I can get three hundred + feet with out a antina on my wfi.
All the wire-less I could find had a 9v battery that only lasted two or three days (tried plug in adepters also) & tranmitted about 100 feet only. Maybe big buck camra's are better?

PS- send the rippers photo around, everyone can post!!!!! It would be a great PUBLIC SERVICE.

Last edited:
T

turtle farmer

thanks for the info everyone...
nobull--that's a big 10-4-----
actually just finished an indoor run of bigfoot,very impressive,laid me out!!see ya soon.
I have a tent in the outdoor garden now,,good luck to the rippers..
I need the camera system for the indoor operation..great info here
peace out

Latest posts

Latest posts