What's new

Outdoor Security

A

AVC

Hello all. Longtime lurker here in need of some insight. I plan on doing a 10-15 plant grow up in the mountains. I am not new to growing in general but new to the concept of growing outdoors. Heres some questions that I have.

1. If I plant along the tree line, will that avoid detection from FLIR?

2. Should I tie a really thin string (like fishing line) close to the ground on some trees (like a tripwire minus the trap) to see if anyone has been/close to my grow site?

Thats all I can think about right about now. If you have any other suggestions please feel free to post up.

Thanks - AVC

RudolfTheRed

Veteran
I wouldn't worry about heat signatures being detected from an outdoor grow. Just make sure you have small plots that are well hidden from the eye in the sky.

robbiedublu

I think the string is a bad idea. Someone may see that and get curious and start looking around. I used to just place small dead branches around my grow sites. Same idea as string just less suspicious.

G

from what i understand.....FLIR used for outdoor grows is the opposite of FLIR for indoor grows. Indoor they come at night when everything is cool and look for hot spots from your HID lighting....in the great outdoors they go in the day and look for cool spots or splotches or lines of coolness(irrigation res or irrigation pipes).....the whole "pot plants give off a different heat sign. than other plants" is a load of BS. Plants dont generate heat at all....only warm-blooded animals generate heat. from what i have read LEO generally uses binoculars and sharp vision to spot the plants during flyovers. also, to see if anyone has been around your site...get like 40 or 50 bucks and put it in a money clip and throw it on the ground near your site...rippers and cops are both greedy fucks and will take the cash fo sho!

del...

the trick for a successful grow in the wilds is getting them into areas where no one goes! you need to pick spots that are hell to get into and scatter them over a wide area so if a few get found the main grow will still be safe.

but 1st off you need to plan your watering needs...how will you water them?

G

grapepunched

I place pieces of bars of soap randomly around my outdoor site,
hidden under brush or kudzu or foliage so no humans can see it, but
animals will stay away and smell your scent, deer will not eat your crops...

As far as seeing if someone has been around your spot,
make sure to make it very hard to get to. Make it hell for anyone to find
them in the first place. If they are hidden wayyyyyy back in the thick brush, less animals and humans will have access to them. I like to do small outdoor plots of 10 plants each, usually about 10 of them dispersed in very hard to get to spots in the same area. Make sure sunlight is ample. A free-flowing water source (i.e. a creek, a river) are good to have close by, as you can bring a couple of gallon jugs out to the site and fill them there to water.

Wear clothes that blend in with your surroundings when travelling in and out of your site. I like to go to my site at dusk or dawn, so that vision is impaired for others who may try to catch me.

Never bring identification with you to your spot.
Never have your spot accessible by less than a 10 minute hike through thick and inconvenient foliage. Never bring anyone to your site or tell anyone it exists.

If you ever find something awry with your spot, or something out of place, leave and don't come back, someone has been there.

Always wear shoes with duct tape on the bottom to cover your prints.
Always wear bug spray (for your own convenience).
Always be aware of your surrounding areas so that you have every chance of being successful and/or getting away if you have to.

I like to leave LOTS of dead branches around as well, and keep an eye out for others footprints in the soil (you will see them). Also, always keep your ears open when out at your spot. Always have a cell phone in case of an emergence (i.e. bitten by snake, broken leg, need a friend to pick you up ASAP, etc.) Remember to put your phone on SILENT, not ring or vibrate, as both are audible.

Never use the same spot TWICE if it is apparent someone was growing there!

BE SAFE.
Hope this helps.

-gp

C

cellardweller

Hi AVC!
Im quoting this from a friends thread. Its a bit of a read, but packed with some good outdoor info. Hope you can use some of it.
Quote:
The fourth and sixth as well as parts of the first and second, amendments are gone.
Warrantless search years ago had its "plain view" rulings expanded (fourth amendment).
Now, if a porker sees you a-smoking cuz you didnt pull the blinds,
said porker needs no warrant to enter and bust; this has been common knowledge for a long time now.
Plain view now includes odors.
Skunk, smoke, or a police dog going off is all leo needs to come in and escalate into bust and property seizure.
Don't chat with leo-- he may remember you later with no idea why he remembers you,
which will make him process you very vaguely into being suspicious.
Now he has to at least i.d. you, right?
Has to know what your slave name is.
They are not stupid human beings by a damn sight.
Rather, they are very single minded and focused. They are linear thinkers served up with a side order of authoritarianism.
Never invite them in, thinking you can con or handle them
because you're such a nice, harmless pothead and they'll feel at ease with you.
Don't drink in cop bars. I used to and some of these guys are bent!
The ones in bars can be hard drinkers who are very frustrated with the job and the way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.
They have big arms and know alot of fighting technique and get to test it out on human practice dummies--- they're not mail-order black belts.
If busted, do not know your rights. Ask them what your rights are. Force them in this way to mirandize you.
Force them gently and with respect to either press charges or release you
( by saying ' Sir, I'm not sure, what exactly ARE my rights in this situation?).
Anything short of the now weakened and crippled miranda warning
and you say, politely and with no tude,' then I understand that I'm free to go'?
They then say ' you go when we say you can go shut up before you get my partner pissed' or some sweet delicacy to that effect.
Give them no tude do not bluster about your lawyer brother-in-law and do not pretend to be a naive virgin choir boy.
Volunteer nothing.
Especially if the good one gets chatty in a relaxed manner after the bad one shouts ' do you want to go to jail tonight, punk?'
They have no pull with the d.a.
The da doesnt even know them.
They cant make sure things will go easy on ya
or put in a good word if you'll just escalate the simple bust into dealing or manufacturing.

Where I grew up, the cops were brutal and had absolutly no right to be respected as human beings.
If you blustered that you knew your rights they would beat you with a flash light.
They planted things. They lied.
They would nail your solar plexus and balls because those areas dont bruise and bleed obviously like a face does.
I realize cops are people too and that small town sheriffs can be remarkably cool.
All I'm saying is dont volunteer anything, dont give them a handle (bench warrants for traffic citations upon which you flaked ).
Dont smoke pot in cars.
These guys train with incense that smell very close to cheap mexican smoke and they'll smell it as you drive by.
Be polite and non- aggressive; even if you are taking a fall.
I could relay a lifetime of true bust stories
that include fake witnesses in court they just pulled out of lockup and ounces magically turning into pounds.
Don't be a bad ass.
E.G. guy I knew gets pulled over for a busted tail light. Cops find his pet 38 in the trunk, illegally loaded. Instant broken nose.
In court, they claim he assaulted them and they just defended themselves.
Whats this got to do with pot?
They got him for that too.

If an old aquaintance calls on the phone and asks if you still do this or that illegal pot related thing,
say' of course not. you were allways the one that was into that'.
This is even more true if that person is a parent.
Porkers will threaten to take their kids away when they bust them unless they can give them something bigger.
Like a grower.
Especially an indoor one that cant quite flush those plants down a toilet when it hits the fan.

Dont keep aggie supplies and receipts around.
Dont keep seed catalogs.
Dont grow outdoors on your own or your neibhors property or rental.
Dont ever wear camo in public-especially around leo. Especially out of hunting season.
In the woods , have either a fishing pole and license or a bird guide and binoculars.
Learn these skills in case leo is a birder or fisherman.
Dont go to the hydro store in your town and dont mail order any supplies in bulk.
Go out of town and park around the corner.
Look for vans or suvs with dark windows.
Feels wierd? walk past your car and go to a coffee shop or bar or chapel.
If you are a drinker, never, ever park near the bar.
They lurk around these places and know that drunks often do horribly evil things like smoke pot.

Please please please do not be a prarie dog.
Dont get the noia so bad that your head pops over the fence every time a v8 drives by.
2 years ago my friend moved to a new town. His neihbor lady was a prarie dog.
I told him" shes either a dealer or a meth type-- they'll get busted soon."
A month later he said " you wouldnt believe the traffic these people have in and out."
2 months after that they were shut down :meth manufacturing and child endangerment(true on both counts).
How did I know?
The lady of the house popped her drug addled head over the fence every time any one drove down that street.
Now, a young cop who works in the city owns that house.
He knows everyone around him is smoking home grown and he couldnt care less.
Hell, hes probably relieved they all wake and bake.
Growers dont have either or acetone explosions!

Outdoors always use misdirection.
Park on the opposite side of the road from where you are really going.
If you are serious, consider mountain bike or motorcycle that you can hide in the woods under a camo tarp.
Dont ever ride either one into the patch.
Use track zones to see who has come in on top of you or been there while you were away.
This means: rough up several sandy or dusty or muddy patches on the entry trails so that most folks would never notice.
They leave their tracks. Without thinking about it.
You then learn to age those tracks by comparing them to the ones youve left behind.
I've never walked into a patch without knowing it was busted ahead of time because leo goes in like a herd of elephants.
Leo wears boots. Usually vibram soled.
Often the toes splay out to the side instead of straight ahead because leo does'nt know proper movement.
Back country sheriffs, some rangers and all search and rescue types use either vibram soles or nam style boots with a piece of one lug cut out.
This way, each leo can i.d. every other leo in the team because each pair of boots sole is cut up differently.
If they see a pattern with a nick they dont recognize they know its a strange leo.
No nicks and they know it's you.
If you ever come in on top of such prints that enter with no exit prints, leave now.
If ever you come in on one of your track zones that has no prints after a week leave imediatly-- thats not natural even in winter.
This means a human has wiped it afresh.
In the real world there is a thing I long ago named 'background noise'.
This consists in the west of rabbit, rat, mouse, darkling beetle, millipede and coyote tracks.
Even if there are no deer or elk for miles around you always see heavy background noise 2 nights after you scraped clean a track zone.
Not only have I seen this lack a couple of times;
once I was picking blackberries in full camo when I came accross 2 sheriffs tracking me.
I had circled around because the birds told me someone was coming.
From behind them I could hear the man leo teaching the hot woman leo
about sand transfer where I had crossed the river and glued sand to the rocks on the other side with my wet feet
. They didnt want to get their feet wet so they did'nt ford.
That fall the bastards left a note in my patch with my name on it.
It read ' Thanks for the plants , lester.'
It's simple. My truck was the only thing parked there the day that porker was teaching cutiepie how to track.
They simply ran my plates and got my name and waited for the buds to form.
The note had a green/brown stain on it.
They wrapped it around a bud of ghani just so I could smell it and shake in my nearly trackless moccasins.
No bust came. which brings me to: never put more than 50 plants in one spot!
100 plants activates the federal mandatory minimum of 5 years in prison for something less harmfull than aspirin.
peace.....man.

hamstring

Veteran
del... said:
the trick for a successful grow in the wilds is getting them into areas where no one goes! you need to pick spots that are hell to get into and scatter them over a wide area so if a few get found the main grow will still be safe.

I only grow outdoors and this is always the best advice to me.

Success lies in picking a spot that’s hard to get too and no humans around. I know it seems easier to choose a spot that doesn’t take 1 hour to get to and lug in all the shit it takes to start and care for a plot. No one likes to get up at 4 am and haul his or her ass out in the bush once every two weeks. It’s not for everyone but you get out what you put in to it. Check out some threads by Silverback and Fast Pine (two of my favorites for outdoor success)to get an idea of what it takes and what to expect.
PEACE

whodi

Veteran
i found a nice overgrown field that is blocked off with a gate.. all i gotta do is jump over it... looks as if nobody ever goes out there..

think its a good spot... it looks really good and secluded to me with lots of room and overgrown grass

i'm guessing someone owns it and doesnt care to maintain it.. hasn't been used for years.. i just finally decided that i want to use it after all these years.

think it's good to go? is it being gated a good thing or bad? it doesnt have any no tresspassing signs or anything on it.. im guessing it's about 10 acres

hamstring

Veteran
Whodi
I would never second-guess you only you can make that decision on a grow sight but remember just a couple of things.

First have you watched this thing for a couple of years spring, summer, fall? Why, well you would be amazed at how overgrown a field can become in 1 year.

Are there any small trees or shrubs or just grass and weeds? Trees and small shrubs take a couple of years to get five feet high.

The grass and weeds can easily get 5 ft high in a full year if unkempt. Second some of these farmers rotate their fields, pastures every few years. I just got burnt this year from a place I grew for 3 years. The farmer rotated his herd.

I have also seen what I thought to be great spots with a lot of over grown vegetation only to see the city or land owner decide to come in and mow it this year. Had buddy plant in the same type of location only to come in to see them mowing the whole place down.

These places can be great especially if you find a true newly unkempt/forgotten piece of land but you need to make sure they are really left alone.

PEACE

del...

but how will you get water to them? ya can't be there every day without wearing a path or being noticed and ya can't just toss a seed or plant a clone and leave em be without a plan for tending them. one can always take a water bed outside and fill it with water then add a drip system based off of gravity but they stand out in an open field and take for-fucking-ever to fill without a hose and faucet (which i assume won't be close by or useable if they are...especially on someone else's yard!)...the plants will not grow without water and you can't rely on nature to fill the needs of a plant that requires near-daily waterings (a minimim of 3x/day for my area!).

good luck but i think you need to work on the plan a little more...

G

Hi

I cant remember who posted this but its a great idea, i read it a few months ago on icmag

" attach a few $10 bills to branches near your grow and see how long they stay there, you ll soon see if any humans have been thru,its expensive but seems to be a fool proof way of ascertaining if there is any human traffic near your grow"

Make sure they look like they have been caught on a branch so it doesnt look like they were deliberately placed there. Id spear them onto branches at eye level, only 2 or 3 tho.

Ideally you can do this a few weeks before planting your grow, if there still there after a few weeks you can pretty much gaurantee that there is little or no human traffic near your grow

:rasta: :rasta: :rasta: :rasta:

whodi

Veteran
the field is about 10 min away driving.. no water out there so i'd have to go every 3 days to water

i havent monitored the field closely but there aren't any crops out there and i dont recall seeing any in the past. There are trees and stuff out there but mostly wild grass that's pretty tall. The trees are really tall so they've been there for years. I think theres a lot of poison sumac, or oak, or ivory out there cause i broke out with a rash after gonig out there the other day. They may cut it once a year.. maybe in the spring and then again in the fall? I'm not really sure how to tell. THe grass out there is about 4-5 ft tall so i'm assuming they cut it in the spring maybe? Does tall grass fall over in the winter if not cut in the fall?

I've never known that field to be used for horses/cows, etc.. so I don't think they'd let them loose out there since there's obviously a lot of that poison sumac.. wouldn't that harm the animals?

Also, the fields on a gravel road.

Last edited:

hamstring

Veteran
whodi said:
the field is about 10 min away driving.. no water out there so i'd have to go every 3 days to water

i havent monitored the field closely but there aren't any crops out there and i dont recall seeing any in the past. There are trees and stuff out there but mostly wild grass that's pretty tall. The trees are really tall so they've been there for years. I think theres a lot of poison sumac, or oak, or ivory out there cause i broke out with a rash after gonig out there the other day. They may cut it once a year.. maybe in the spring and then again in the fall? I'm not really sure how to tell. THe grass out there is about 4-5 ft tall so i'm assuming they cut it in the spring maybe?
Does tall grass fall over in the winter if not cut in the fall?
I've never known that field to be used for horses/cows, etc.. so I don't think they'd let them loose out there since there's obviously a lot of that poison sumac.. wouldn't that harm the animals?

Also, the fields on a gravel road.

Absolutely, in fact it is scary that 6ft tall grass ends up 6inchs off the ground. I wish I had some pics to share but 5-6ft tall grass will end up being ankle high next spring. It always amazes me when I first dig my holes in the spring and put some old dead grass over each hole to camo it for security because the fresh earth sticks out like a sore thumb. When I come back beginning of June to plant the grass is already 3ft plus and I can never find every hole I dug.

I understand about the trees but look for shrubs or bushes that don’t fall down in the winter if a few are around that’s a sure sign they don’t mow. Weeds like nettles or thistles these types of things don’t count because even though they may have a 2-3 inch diameter trunk/stem they do this in one year just like the MJ you want grow. Concentrate on looking for woodier type plants such as the bushes or shrubs. Wild roses don’t fall down either so they may be there if it is not mowed.

PEACE

Deft

Get two birds stoned at once
Veteran
Outdoor security means planting where no one goes to hunt, fish, walk their dog, hike etc. Small 3 plant plots spaced out into 15 plant groupings that are far apart is good. Plant 3x as much as you think you want IMO, there are losses outside.

whodi

Veteran
I'm really tempted to cut the lock thats on the gate and replace it with my own lock. A part of me thinks this is very dumb, but another part of me thinks i'll be ok with it.

The gate/chain/lock is so rusted and you can tell it's pretty damn old. It really looks like the owner doesn't care too much about going out there. The only reason the gate went up was to keep people from partying and trashing up the field, ever since then.. nothig has been going on in that field.

Is this a dumb idea? I feel like it'd be bad karma if I break into the gate. But, since there isn't any water out there.. it'd be really nice to drive my truck back into the field, because i'm gonna be needing about 75 gallons of water every 3 days (40 plants) because it gets pretty dry around here in the hot months.

I like the field so much that i'd actually like to see if it is for sale... but I dunno what to do..

What's the worse that could happen if I break the lock? What do you think would happen if the owner decided to go out there one day and notice the lock has been replaced? I kind of see it as a warning sign.. because if I go out there one night and notice my lock has been cut ... then i'd know not to go out there anymore.

There aren't any 'No Tresspassing' signs
There aren't any 'No Hunting signs"

I'd be going to the field around 2 a.m.

Last edited:

dbfr3sh

to Whodi. DO NOT CUT THE LOCK. Its there for a reason, so why cut it? Why do you need to break it? If the owner does find out he could get iffy and call the cops thats the last thing you want. youll have cops flying over that area real quick. i live in NE and i cant bring water or anything to my site. My solution is i buy a huge tuppermaid container that you can buy at walmart for like $10 spray it green/brown and put it between two bushes. ive had mine there all summer long and i always have water available. as it rains in large amounts the water collects in the tupperware container, its an endless supply of water. its the best thing i can tell you for getting water to your site.

Last edited:

whodi

Veteran
What if I jsut cut one of the chain links... where it's barely noticeable?

I don't think standing water would be very good for plants? I dunno...

whodi

Veteran
lol just throwing ideas out here...

I've decided to go against cutting the lock and i think im gonna cut one of the links and replace it with one of those 'missing chain link connectors' ... they'd never know..

661df.jpg