What's new

Outdoor planting time question

*GreenMachine*

Hey everyone, I’ll start off giving a small run down of the current situation then pop the question.

-Plants are all indica/indica dom hybrids
-Plants are currently under 24/0 veg and tomorrow(4/28/20) I’ll be switching them to 18/6 for the next month to adapt them to the suns hours as much as possible.(lights will be on from 4 a.m-10 p.m)(18 hours)

The goal is to plant during the first week of June(1st-7th) Using the sun graph from timeanddate.com on where I live it says I’ll have on June 1 (14:53 daylight hours)(1:05 civil twilight hours)(1:22 nautical twilight hours)(1:35 astronomical twilight hours)(18:55 hours of partial/full daylight combined)(astronomical twilight starts at 3:51 a.m and civil twilight ends at 5:51 a.m aka the start of “daylight” hours)

Question: Does this sound right and ok for planting on June 1-7? I would assume twilight hours count toward light hours as it’s still light only dim...will I be safe? Don’t want any revegs.

Anyone who has the correct advice I would be appreciative if you could chime in. Thank you and I hope everyone is safe and well during these dark times. Take care. TY.

V

voidpainter

I’d suggest you lower the timer every couple of days for 15min and get closer to 16/8, slowly, and they should be good to go.

mr.brunch

Veteran
I’d only count the civil twilight hours, as nautical twilight is pretty dim, and astronomical is basically dark.
In the U.K. summertime astronomical twilight lasts all night (no official nighttime) but it still seems just as dark

'Boogieman'

I use 15/9 and have no problem achieving large plants. Most of my plants also show sex before going outdoors. In late May I receive exactly 15 hours of daylight outdoors so I try to replicate that. I just want as little stress as possible when transplanting.

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
I’d suggest you lower the timer every couple of days for 15min and get closer to 16/8, slowly, and they should be good to go.

I always veg indoor on 18/6 and to get ready to go outside I will reduce 1 hour a week for 2 weeks to get to 16/8 and after a week of 16/8 they go outside under some tree's where they receive direct sun light for the first hour of the morning then intermittent sun light throughout the rest of the day. After a week under the trees I plant them in my garden in full sun. They might be a little unhappy for a few days after putting them in the ground but bounce back fast and then take off. Best of luck :tiphat:

*GreenMachine*

I was thinking that at first but read somewhere(that doesn’t make it right I know) that cannabis are rhythmic plants and as long as I do it at a minimum of 3 weeks out it shouldn’t matter? I’ve heard of people going from 18/6 on their mother plants, taking clones that go under 24/0, and when they grow roots going right back to 18/6 with no problems....can anyone elaborate on this if they know the FACTS about this?(to the person I quoted when I say this about facts it’s in no way to put down what you said I’m just looking for the right answer-not that your wrong/right)

I should be able to jump from 24/0-18/6 right away as long as they are under 18/6 for an extended amount of time before going outside correct?

*GreenMachine*

So with just the civil twilight added with the daylight that brings it to 15:58.....so would 4:00am-10pm veg(18/6) be ok for putting the plants outside between June 1-7?

V

voidpainter

I have never used civil twilight. Only daylight. If I am gradually lowering artificial light to 16/8 or 15/9 as Boogieman suggested my plants never flower when put out when daylight is ~15hrs.

I have also tried directly from tent 18/6 to outside in mid May (15hrs here) with minimum reveg and still got a pound+ per plant. But these were from seed. Clones tend to be more fickle.

Cant give you any facts, this is from experience at my latitude.

*GreenMachine*

Thank you everyone that took their time to reply. I used to always just always go for it and put them outside and hope for the best as far as dates go but always on 18/6 before hand. Never had a reveg, but never went as big as I’m going this year so wanted to make sure my bases were covered. Stay safe and good luck everyone during these times. Thank you!

CrushnYuba

I have never really had issues with reveg planted June1st. 24hr to plant, 18/6 whatever. I have never seen a need to match light. In fact, i think going from 24/0 to outdoor may even allow for earlier planting. Not sure. Just a thought that possibly having less hormone build up from being in 24/0 will make a plant need more days of long nights to have the hormones built up to make it flip. Just a theory based on what i have seen and based on my understanding of plant biology. No real test.

I have done may 21st from 24/0 with no issue. Maybe i should experiment and try may 14th from both 24/0 and 16/8 this year.

I believe light matching is a cannabis myth. Could be wrong.

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
I have never really had issues with reveg planted June1st. 24hr to plant, 18/6 whatever. I have never seen a need to match light. In fact, i think going from 24/0 to outdoor may even allow for earlier planting. Not sure. Just a thought that possibly having less hormone build up from being in 24/0 will make a plant need more days of long nights to have the hormones built up to make it flip. Just a theory based on what i have seen and based on my understanding of plant biology. No real test.

I have done may 21st from 24/0 with no issue. Maybe i should experiment and try may 14th from both 24/0 and 16/8 this year.

I believe light matching is a cannabis myth. Could be wrong.

Are they seed runs or clones? My understanding is that clones especially older generation ones can trigger flower easier. If that is true than the jump from 24/0 to the outdoor 15-16 hours of light could trigger flower in the first week outside and then be slow as it has to go back to vegging. This is all theoretical on my end just from reading and seeing some have trouble with a clone triggering early from putting it out to early.

CrushnYuba

Clones. My bd clone is like 15 years old and i know it won't flower from 24/0 put out may 21st. Really any clone i have had. Seeds i would plant closer to may 1st.

June 1st is very very safe

Also.. I only plant healthy starts. I don't plant sickly yellow plants like i see some people do. I'm not bringing them from an indoor grow room. It's coming out of a greenhouse with supplemental lighting.

CrushnYuba

Someone would need to explain to me in a biological way how matching hours works for me. Some scientific explanation. To me it seems like hour matching is counter productive. More darkness is more flower hormones.

V

voidpainter

Latitude

You’re probably way over 15hrs of daylight on June 1st, that’s not the case for everybody.

For OP’s case I’d guess his safe bet would be June 20th without a need to match daylight.

Anything placed outside directly from 18/6 to less than 15/9 triggers stretch for me and in some cases (strain dependant) budlets forming. And then we have revegs - single bladed leaves, lanky stems etc.

I dont have a biological basis for this voodoo but it’s what works for me in order to avoid unnecessary revegs.

CrushnYuba

I think I'm at about 15 on June 1st. I'm by sacramento. I can't find the daylight hour table that the navy has.. You put in your location and it gives you a table of light hours for the year. If someone was further south then me, they would need to plant later.

It's the matching i don't get. I think it's a myth.

*GreenMachine*

For OP’s case I’d guess his safe bet would be June 20th without a need to match daylight.

You are correct. I’m on the east coast in the tri-state area. On June 1 I have roughly 15 hours of regular daylight, but if you include the different forms of twilight it is closer to 17-18. Yes June 21 is the longest light of the year, but I figure as long as I’m over 15 with the twilight I should be ok??? Anyone else agree?

*GreenMachine*

Also majority of plants are from seed but there are clones also. Even if I’m off by an hour or two to start I think I should be ok as long as I’m over 15....I would think that twilight counts also because It technically is still light(even the smallest light leak indoor can throw you off is why I think that, I’m not sure though) I would love if people chime in....has anyone had problems going from 24/7 to 18/6 overnight? I heard that cannabis are rhythmic plants and long as I keep them under 18/6 for up to 3 week they will adapt. I would think it shouldn’t hurt as one can go from 18/6 and cut clones, put them under 24/7, then go back to 18/6 after rioted to veg again so I think it shouldn’t matter much as long as they have time to adapt. Thoughts anyone?

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
In Mass I put stuff out anywhere from 1st week of June to the 3rd week depending on weather. Goal is the first week but even the plants I put out 1st week of July last year hit 6 foot tall :biggrin:

V

voidpainter

I think I'm at about 15 on June 1st. I'm by sacramento. I can't find the daylight hour table that the navy has.. You put in your location and it gives you a table of light hours for the year. If someone was further south then me, they would need to plant later.

It's the matching i don't get. I think it's a myth.

Maybe you are right, probably one just needs to be 15hrs+ and it’s ok.