What's new

Outdoor Organics, how to water without killing micro beasts?

mad librettist

Veteran
Sometimes I am slow, I think you lost me.

Chlorine gas and chloramine in the water will react with any organic anything that is loose in the water, including microbes. Bleached microbes, are dead microbes.

Once the chlorine/chloramine has reacted with something, it's done, no longer reactive. It has been neutralized. So if you make it happen before the water hits your grow, your plot is safe from any possible effects from chlorine/ chloramine.

Likewise, if you add a pinch of compost to tap water and stir, then add the normal dose, your ACT will be free from chlorine problems.

C21H30O2

I have ridden the mighty sandworm.
Veteran
bingo, i use asorbic acid as well as a back up. but a handful of compost will do the trick.

Bullfrog44

Veteran
I normally water strait from the hose. I also normally put a fair amount of compost into my soil. Maybe I have been doing things right all along.

If I were to fill a 50 gal drum of water, how much compost you recon it would take?

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
for my act i just add the molasses first then kelp then hydrolyzed fish then my vermicompost. i take my time and i feel pretty confident that it neutralizes the water by the time i add the compost (elapsed time from molasses to compost is like 5-10 mins (2 gallons of water)).

i also just water straight from the hose at the garden, don't really have the option for a rain barrel or reservoir. i have wondered how it effects the soil biology. i hope it is negligible, because what else can i do?