What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

OUTDOOR GROWS 2023 -ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE-

therevverend

Veteran
It's almost the equinox, autumn in the Southern Hemisphere, spring in the Northern. It means people are either close to cropping, close to popping or already popping. Or if you're near the equator maybe doing one or the other or both. Let's outgrow 2022! (that'll take some work)

Today's planting day for me. Feels more like spring then winter. Still snow low in the hills and there's more brown then green on the shrubbery but the birds are busy and the sun is shining. The cat's feeling frisky and I've got peas, arugula, spinach, and lettuce in the ground.

Even though it's been around freezing in the morning off and on for the last month I have winter mustard that volunteered in February.

View media item 18708361
And the lettuce has started volunteering.

View media item 18708362
The ganja ain't looking so hot.

View media item 18708358
View media item 18708357
But there's reinforcements on the way!

View media item 18708356

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
It is nice to see green again after a long Winter. Now is the time to work your plots and add a few ground leaves or other organic matter into your soil, plus you can't go wrong adding compost to the soil too. If your soil is alkaline then add some peat moss to lower the pH for the best results. You got everyone's Spring blood bubbling. Thanks for sharing and keep us posted friend.

flower~power

~Star~Crash~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
36CF254F-12A8-4472-A642-3450DAEE5D26.jpeg

St. Phatty

GOT MY SEEDS IN THE MAIL !

They had to go through quite an obstacle course.

"Ghost Train Haze" and some of those are Freebies.

The White Widow and Romberry are the ones I bought.

The other pic with the Dark Colored Sand/ Soil are my test sprouts.

Using a batch of seeds from 2019, Blueberry Headband cross, to test my seed sprouting soil - BEFORE I risk one of baby White Widows.

Some of the other quart pots have soil with sow-bugs and baby centipedes, that have munches on some of the other seedlings.

The other plant is a Pineapple.

Attachments

• IMG_20220322_085406=.jpg
    IMG_20220322_085406=.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_20220322_081652=.jpg
    IMG_20220322_081652=.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_20220322_081701=.jpg
    IMG_20220322_081701=.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 119

St. Phatty

I use the seeds from Peppers and I have 1000's of dry seeds.

Birds love the seeds when they are not dry, like when you cut open a bell pepper.

So that's one of the things I will grow this year.

If I save the seeds I will have MILLIONS of dry seeds.

ost

It is nice to see green again after a long Winter. Now is the time to work your plots and add a few ground leaves or other organic matter into your soil, plus you can't go wrong adding compost to the soil too. If your soil is alkaline then add some peat moss to lower the pH for the best results. You got everyone's Spring blood bubbling. Thanks for sharing and keep us posted friend.
1 good warm day i need, to turn the mulch pile over agin .

mr.brunch

Veteran
Heads up to anyone thinking of doing an outdoor diary, real gorilla seeds are doing an outdoor competition with free seeds to enter with if you don’t have any of their strains
I’ve stuck my name in the hat, it would be good to see some of our fine icmag outdoor growers (or outdoor chancers like me) along for the ride
:tiphat: :plant grow:

40degsouth

Hey everyone,
wow spring has got everyone’s blood pumping…..that’s the most posts in 12 hours I’ve seen all summer 🤣🤣
Nice work Thereverand had to happen sooner or later. I’m looking forward to seeing how those Afghani landraces work out.
Hey, how did that Goji do for you last year??? I did a cross with a Goji and the female progeny threw to the “Goji Egg” pheno. I’ve been thinking about revisiting them 🤔🤔
St. Phatty, the Blueberry Hedband from HSO is one of the biggest plants I’ve ever grown, the terminal buds were almost as big as my head. It must of been a Headband leaner because the others weren’t like this one.
I’ve got some photos of it somewhere but I’ll have to take a photo of the photo and post it up if you want.
I thought I’d post up a little technique l use for plants that aren’t quite big enough for a secondary cage but too big not to have one. I wrap them up with stretchy garden material, the sort you might tie your tomatoes up with; it works well and prevents plants from destroying themselves during flower.
These two are Royal Jager and Platinum Jager, testers from Bradley Danks.
8DA8C594-C178-4D4E-8D6A-8231ECE67874.jpeg
79444AC0-851C-4F42-B4F4-93C93752AEB5.jpeg
And just to say “Danks A Lot”, here’s the big Wam Wam about to enter harvest window. These plants are impressive; it’s rare for a breeder to have plants exactly as the description, in my experience.
She’s 10 feet tall and gobbled up a two foot tall, 13 foot wide planter bed.
37587664-975E-416F-A2A4-7825ED3CBA07.jpeg
DAE3EBC7-F876-4E43-A9C6-D120C7FE2405.jpeg
Cheers,

Attachments

• FC65EAF4-C363-4144-994E-45B6F6BD201E.jpeg
    FC65EAF4-C363-4144-994E-45B6F6BD201E.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 84

Old Piney

wow spring has got everyone’s blood pumping…
So it's been a pleasure to see your posts all winter. As for myself I work outside and usually don't get around to gardening until late may, but I get the spring bug thing. I'm in no rush and don't want really big plants, what to do with all that weed, as they still managed to get to big. I can see you like to grow M big happy harvests !

therevverend

Veteran
I talk about this every year but there's only one reason to plant this early in my area. (It's not because I keep having that terrible dream where it's June and I forgot to plant) In the northern hemisphere if you plant under natural light between mid February and the end of March your plants will usually pre-sex between late May and the end of June. It's a great trick because it gives you 1, 2 months to get your sexed females in the ground and you can focus on feeding them and getting them big. Instead of having space and fertilizer taken up by a bunch of males. I almost never use clones, start from seed every year, because of this trick. Seedlings started early will always get bigger and produce more then clones, especially because you have to wait to late April/mid May to put the clones out.

It works because of the short days in March and early April. For their first two weeks seedlings aren't affected by day length. They'll auto-veg for two weeks regardless of photoperiod. After that they're sensitive to day length. If the days are 13.5-14 hours for a week or more they'll be triggered to flower. The days get longer so quickly they won't really go into flower but it'll fool them just enough to throw pre-hairs that are enough to sex them. Besides that getting them going early gives them time to get big, 3 feet or more, by June 1 which is usually big enough for the females to throw hairs.

Otherwise there isn't much to gain starting your plants in late March vs late April. The days are short and it's still cold up here. They grow much slower then if I had them indoors under lights or if they had the benefit of May sunshine. Our weather stays cool and wet for most of spring, last year was especially cool and wet. Stayed that way through June into early July. Then the weather shifted and it was hot and dry until the 2nd half of October.

Hey, how did that Goji do for you last year??? I did a cross with a Goji and the female progeny threw to the “Goji Egg” pheno. I’ve been thinking about revisiting them 🤔🤔

It did well enough that I'm popping 3 more seeds. Did quite a bit of breeding with her too. Thinking about popping some of her progeny. She showed strong mold resistance and vigor, the way Bodhi's snow lotus crosses tend to. They acclimate very well to my Mediterranean climate. Most breeders work indoors, for the indoor seed market, which is fine because I like potent indoor strains. It takes a generation or two to breed some of the weak traits out of the indoor plants to get them in step with my photo period and humid cool weather. Not so with Bodhi's stuff.

That Wam Wam looks awesome, I can imagine the smell. Looks like you can harvest whenever the weather dictates, which is nice. I can see she can go longer but if a storm rolls in it's nice to be able to take her down without regrets.

40degsouth

Hey everyone,
Thanks Old Piney, I’m really happy you’ve enjoyed the photos. I must admit that I really love looking at everyone’s pictures over my morning coffee; there’s just something about seeing beautiful plants, bathed in summer sun to kick my dopamine off and get me off to a great start. I do like big plants and the challenge of growing them but l limit it to five or so these days and that’s enough for me and for all the “just in cases” that can pop up in lives.
That’s great to hear Thereverand.
I liked the Goji but the Goji Egg is just a beautiful, open og. As for the Wam Wams, they will all be hitting harvest window by the end of March/September. There were much earlier phenos bud I culled them out because they triggered to flower from a late September/March pop; meaning, with a later planting they would of already finished. The vigour and stretch were as described and if we hadn’t of had such an awful start to the season they would of had the real potential to hit 12 feet tall, plus.
The pheno variation is a bit extreme but the resistance and flowering times are on point, which is all l ask for. I also really liked how Bradley warned me how big they can get because I’ve been caught out badly in the past by expecting a plant to only grow six feet and had them do ten plus which also means the spacings were way off too.
And just for you Old Piney, a couple of night photos of the big Wam Wam. I found a bit of caterpillar damage on the Wam Wams and expected to find them of a night, which I did. This is why sacrificial plants are a good thing to distract walk ins from going straight to your plants. BT takes about three days to kill caterpillars and they can do a lot of damage in that time but if they can spend a day or two on something like this celery then you’ve reduced damage significantly.
60E7D014-6FD2-4ABD-838E-081D520359E1.png
CC73E163-20B4-4B21-8877-89398143E028.jpeg
654DD3AE-A14F-45D0-972A-192009E5F615.jpeg

Chuck Jägerschnitzel

I'm seconding what Old Piney said, its a real treat getting to see 40degsouth's photos during the northern hemisphere off season.
Right now I haven't got much going on outdoors myself, but I did get an interesting result a month or so ago when the sprouts in my little greenhouse got exposed to temps as low as 17ºF. I had one group of 16 semiauto seeds which I was hoping to inbreed to create some autoflowering seeds, only two of the 16 survived the cold, so it seems like kind of a good presumption that those two are something special in terms of outdoor survival ability. I also had a a few other sprouts out, all related to an unnamed South African landrace that I'm calling SAMM (South African Mystery Meat) until I hone in on it's true identity a little better. There were 2 seeds of SAMM itself, four of Trainwreck x SAMM & four fem seeds of SAMM x Jägerschnizel BX3 reversed. Of the 10 seeds, only two died in the freeze, one SAMM and one TW cross. The surviving SAMM showed heavy damage of some sort (presumably underground or maybe in the stem), it's cotyledons went pale and died on the recovery and the true leaves started to go pale too and the recovery took about a week after I brought it in, it was just sitting there doing nothing, but eventually it started to grow again. Same story for all of the TW cross survivors, they were all hurt by the cold too, seemingly not as bad as the SAMM though. Of the four Jägerschnizel crosses, only one acted like anything bad had happened to it, the rest showed no evidence of damage from the cold.
The semiauto seeds were in smaller containers than the SAMM related seeds and I'm guessing that explains why they fared worse.

therevverend

Veteran
nh greenhouse vegged 2 weeks under led

age? i dont know :rasta::rasta: started to show preflowers

Nice got her pre-sexed already! Should work out perfectly, the days are getting long enough fast enough she won't go into full flower unless she's a clone or photo-sensitive. My plan with seedlings is to always be one step ahead of their growth. I don't want them to become rootbound, ever. Especially if I plan on direct planting in the ground which is almost always the best plan. Unless your dirt is terrible and too hard to be dug up and replaced. I account for the taproot, don't want it to bend until it's 8-12 inches, the longer the better. However the width is more important, the root system of cannabis gets very wide. I never walk near my plants, I have one pathway through the garden and never leave it because I don't want to smush the roots.

My motitos (what my Mexican grower friend calls seedlings) are up and going for it. Here's a look at Jah Gooey x Apples and Bananas, named 'Jah gooey fruity'. Seeds from @NuggyNic at instagram, nuggyseedcompany.com. Nic grows big plants, ridiculously huge. Very excited to see how these turn out. His Apples and Bananas tested at 28% THC, 6.7% terpenes! Over 4% myrcene. Got a few of his Jah Gooey going as well.

View media item 18708514
Here's King's Bud, a Balochistan strain. My worry is they won't finish early enough but we'll see. These landrace types have tremendous vigor, 100% germ rate.

View media item 18708512
And here's my Huckleberry Punch X (Buddha's sister x super silver haze) cross I made last year. Huckleberry punch might be my best plant ever. Big plant, I tied it back to increase branching and it produced dozens of huge frosty colas. Smell was incredible, yield was high, potency was excellent. I gave the Buddha's sister x SSH seed to a friend, he grew it out. Turned out to be male so he gave me a bag of pollen. The male might be the best smelling male ever. Didn't even have to rub the stalk. Incredibly fruitalicious with a wonderful hashy haze smell. I have very high hopes for this cross. It's going to be a great year.

View media item 18708515
Weather has been typical March in the PNW. One minute dumping rain, next minute sunshine. It's been a bit drier and cooler then normal. I had my seed containers on my heat mat like I usually do, after a couple days nothing had sprouted. Decided to dig out my clone dome and stuck it on top. Within 12 hours 75% of the beans sprouted. Now almost everything is up, probably 97% germ rate. Only a few seeds were older then 4 years, next round is older so we'll see if the high germ rate continues.

40degsouth

Hey everyone,
Looking good 👍 some interesting crosses there Thereverand. I’ll be looking forward to hearing your thoughts on them.
Thanks for the kind words Chuck Jagerschnitzel, I’m glad you’ve enjoyed the pictures and just for you here’s the big Wam Wam just before l cut a dozen or so of the bigger colas off her.
The resin heads have gone cloudy and she’s probably got another week before the exact harvest window opens, it’s difficult to say but we’ve got four days of drizzle and rain on the way and l get the feeling I’ve pushed her as far as I can without plant health suffering and acceptable losses getting out of balance.
She’s really packed on some nice weight over the last week and the terminal buds have really tightened up nicely.
The smell on the plant is a nice fruity/floral tang that you can smell from about twenty meters away but once you’ve got her all over you, it’s an overwhelming orange zest that’s right in your nose.
I’ve never had orange terps before and I like them.
6007F9AB-10D3-498C-A0E8-30332FC47934.jpeg
D54BDA7D-524B-4D39-980A-E78B42FA3503.jpeg