What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Out of seeds, two females, let's force Hermi

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I've had viable pollen sit in my desk drawer in a plastic dime bag for 6 months... I mean it worked at 6 months... But not a year later... Same for refrigerated pollen.
Hence the reason I said freezer. There are ways to store pollen which decrease the breakdown of it. Breeders have used 12 year old pollen effectively, with deep-freeze conditions.

I don't think you want to spray STS that often. It's more like 2 spritzes a week apart & wait. Maybe 3 spritzes total.
Incorrect. STS suppresses ethylene production only for a short time and regular spraying is required. When spraying stops, ethylene production goes up in less than a week, slowing the process. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ag industry use of STS for ethylene blocking is typically every 3-5 days for several weeks.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Lots of growers complaining about low pollen/flower production from spraying once a week, none from those spraying more often. Every 2 days is overkill though, you're correct, 4-5 should be enough for any cannabis plant.
[/FONT]

Last edited:

hunt4genetics

Veteran
Just let it die out. Please don't continue/fuel a practice which harms the gene pool. Thank you.

This is what a gene pool is built on. Evolution. What does an organism do when they want to reproduce but can't find a mate. Every day is uncharted territory. "Life, Uh, finds a way".

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
At like week 3-4 you can just stick your hand in your pots and fuck up the roots a good bit. Should about do it. No chems needed.
Maybe top a few branches in flower at the same time for good measure.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
This is what a gene pool is built on. Evolution. What does an organism do when they want to reproduce but can't find a mate. Every day is uncharted territory. "Life, Uh, finds a way".
Yeah, that's great. Man has also spent a lot of time breeding as much of the hermi out as possible. Plenty of land races with strong hermi tendencies, no need to make it more common in the stabilized gene pool.

Can you still find it? Sure. Zero need though, nature has plenty for herself.

livinit

Yeah, that's great. Man has also spent a lot of time breeding as much of the hermi out as possible. Plenty of land races with strong hermi tendencies, no need to make it more common in the stabilized gene pool.

Can you still find it? Sure. Zero need though, nature has plenty for herself.

No doubt, keep the gene pool health as possible. Using proper techniques will ensure the genetics don't develop hemi tendency.

I wouldn't hermi a plant using light cycle or physical screwing around. If you plan on doing it expect at least 50% of the off springs to be genetically hermi.

Once in the gene sequence it is very hard to breed out, and in most cases will still come back after a few generations.

livinit

I ended up throwing away my personal strain that I kept going for 5 years. It was perfectly built to my areas environment. Always finishing in time, all around good plant.

The down false was when I decided it was okay to keep hermi seeds. It compleatly screwed the genetics. Each generation after that had more and more seeds in the bud.

livinit

Never going to make that mistake again. Keeping the gene pool healthy. Holding seeds back from previous years for backup in case I don't like current generation.

I just bought a bunch of strains to play with. After a few years I will get them used to my climate. Keep the best plants and destroy the stragglers.
:tiphat: