What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Original Jamaican- sativa or Indica ?

oldog

Due to us now being a part of the global village I dont think there is any longer any 'Jamaican Ganja' . Lots of seeds brought in by visitors
as gifts etc. have been interbred with what was originally growing in Jamaica.
Its said that the ganja that was in Ja. say up until the early seventies was descended from cannabis brought by indentured sugar cane workers from India who came after slavery was abolished.
Ganja is Hindi or Sanscrit for hemp I think.
Does anybody know whether that 'Indian ' ganja was indica or
sativa ? or some of each ? Did any of you early, pre Ricks, West End visitors see any growing ?

nintey

Just was in jamaica last month and got a brownie from a store that got me 10/10. I would say it certainly had a sativa slant to it

WelderDan

Veteran
The Jamaican we got in the 70's was most certainly Sativa. Very electric, cerebral Sativa.

I grew out some bagseed some friends brought back from a Jamaican vacation a few years back. Most certainly hybrid, both in appearance and buzz, heavily leaning to the Indica side.

Of course this was "tourist weed", grown for sale to tourists.

oldog

Thanks ! This is my dumbest post ever- different types of cannabis brought by Indian workers over a hundred years ago would have been repeatedly cross pollinated by the wind. Even outdoor grows here in the city with all males killed long before they have pollen, still have a few seeds.
That stuff floats for miles. I now realise that any original Jamaican ganja was a mix of many from India- and was so from very long ago.