What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Organic VS chemical nutrients

Somatek

Can you handle the Truth?

You have to begin with knowing/realizing that not all Organic or Inorganic nutrients are equal to their group, starting with the quality of water

Then you need to know that plants have no problem breaking down inorganic matter for the nutrients, when those nutrients are in balance to the plants needs

So, when using high quality inorganic nutrients, like Hydroponic Research, there will be zero benefit in quality to using Organic

Of course the Organic Kool Aid drinkers will refuse to believe this
Couldn't have said it better myself, plants don't care where the nutrients come from as long as they get what they need and have a balanced environment (far more important then what they're being fed in my opinion). Using pre-made organic soil mixes may be easier for a lot of beginners as you don't really have to think about feeding much but ultimately it depends more on the quality of the inputs, how well they meet the plants needs and how well the system suits your needs.

MrBreeze911

No. You've already wasted brain cells thinking about that silly shit. Don't waste space money and time also. Mystery hippy ingredients have never helped organics succeed. The narrative that you should throw random shit at a plant is coming from CLOWNS. The organics industry is ran by ex growers who: couldn't make money growing, couldn't make money breeding, couldn't make money consulting, so they start a manure fanclub of novices and make money peddling trash and poop.

There is no secret to organics except the nutrients are attached to microbe shit. That's the only shit you need. One component of microbe shit being methylation support products (B vitamins), the other part being carboxylic acids, from which cannabinoids and terpenoids derive. Enzymes are not the limiting factor to hydroponics. Nor are their cofactors. Neither are consumed in the reactions we are interested in, they are only catalysts. People are overdoing this "high brix, hight calcium, poop for days" nonsensical in organics, it was already there with basic inputs.

Precursor Atmosphere Technology: If I'm growing Super Jesus Cheese #3, I want microbes that produce isovaleric acid. If I'm growing for thc isolate, I want microbes that produce olivetolic and hexanoic acid.

Cannabis does not want to eat free radicals. It wants the carboxylic acid attached. You don't need to wreck your life playing in worm shit all day. Buy microbes from Tainio, not Amazon. Follow their directions, not some idiot on icmags. Boom. Life is easy. Weed is good. The only compost should be your own quality inputs, composted in your own medium, with the microbes you want. Not what waste products someone sells you on a youtube vlog.
Thank you. I will do some research and follow up on what you are saying. I appreciate it, man. There is so much information out there, it is hard to sift through, and I am not far enough in my college studies to know one way or another sometimes. Next season I plan on doing a side by side organic synthetic comparison using coots mix and jacks 20 10 20 in 200 gallon pots. Shcrews from motherlode gardens genetics because he lives near me. I'm having trouble accessing Tainios website right now, but I will keep trying. How do I know what microbes I need? Thank you very much sir.

MrBreeze911

Couldn't have said it better myself, plants don't care where the nutrients come from as long as they get what they need and have a balanced environment (far more important then what they're being fed in my opinion). Using pre-made organic soil mixes may be easier for a lot of beginners as you don't really have to think about feeding much but ultimately it depends more on the quality of the inputs, how well they meet the plants needs and how well the system suits your needs.
So what are the cheapest grow mediums and nutes that I can use in my outdoor 200 gallon pots to grow dank weed for me and my fam?

Somatek

So what are the cheapest grow mediums and nutes that I can use in my outdoor 200 gallon pots to grow dank weed for me and my fam?
I always go the simple route and plant in the ground with amended soil mixing coco coir, biochar and a bag of manure into the soil and then let them do their thing. Is there a reason you want/need to grow in 200gal pots?

MrBreeze911

I always go the simple route and plant in the ground with amended soil mixing coco coir, biochar and a bag of manure into the soil and then let them do their thing. Is there a reason you want/need to grow in 200gal pots?
The soil where I live is literally just huge rocks and dust, and it is incredibly hard to dig holes here, trust me I have dug holes here before, damn hard, although I would love to grow in the earth.

Somatek

The soil where I live is literally just huge rocks and dust, and it is incredibly hard to dig holes here, trust me I have dug holes here before, damn hard, although I would love to grow in the earth.
I've worked in heavy clay soils before, definitely not fun but makes a nice soil once properly amended with humus and sand, it's a lot of work though. If pots are your best option then I'd look at a simple super soil recipe like Vic Highs or Coots, no need to get fancy and buy special inputs at high costs when everything you need can be pick up from garden centers/hardware/farm stores for less.

MrBreeze911

I've worked in heavy clay soils before, definitely not fun but makes a nice soil once properly amended with humus and sand, it's a lot of work though. If pots are your best option then I'd look at a simple super soil recipe like Vic Highs or Coots, no need to get fancy and buy special inputs at high costs when everything you need can be pick up from garden centers/hardware/farm stores for less.
Awesome soma, I am going to start with the pots next season. But I'm also going to try to amend the soil as another project before then. Thanks! I have so much soil and humus and manure and other things here it's crazy haha. And I'll have lots of compost by next season also.

Somatek

Awesome soma, I am going to start with the pots next season. But I'm also going to try to amend the soil as another project before then. Thanks! I have so much soil and humus and manure and other things here it's crazy haha. And I'll have lots of compost by next season also.
TIllage radishes (aka daikon radish) are a great cover crop to start breaking up hard soil and working organic matter into them since the roots grow so deep quickly. If you're taking the long approach to building your soil up that could be a good crop to plant for the fall.

xet

Chemical: "yeah bro i bet you never even smoked as young as I did before like you wana fight offline cmon bro i bet you dont have a dirt bike bruh did you even see what kind of nylon string i use to hold my plants up LOL that is schedule 40 nylon string from hong kong bro it makes my eyes bleed when I touch it and you cant even go hardcore like us we been you know lol omg"

Organic: "So anyway i mix poop and things from earth with water for free and smoke and chill out"

RobFromTX

Honduras x Panama both grows. Pic1 and 2 were grown with the GH flora series. Pic 3 4 and 5 was grown all organic with light doses of bio bizz. Not only did the quality improve with organic but the smell did as well. Ill never go back to chemicals again if i can help it

Attachments

• IMG_20211117_164427560.jpg
    IMG_20211117_164427560.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20211117_164258021.jpg
    IMG_20211117_164258021.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20220813_112548131.jpg
    IMG_20220813_112548131.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20220813_112647902.jpg
    IMG_20220813_112647902.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20220813_112748631.jpg
    IMG_20220813_112748631.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 62

xet

Honduras x Panama both grows. Pic1 and 2 were grown with the GH flora series. Pic 3 4 and 5 was grown all organic with light doses of bio bizz. Not only did the quality improve with organic but the smell did as well. Ill never go back to chemicals again if i can help it
Hey, some are pacified with Silicone balloons, others want a handful of the real thing. Dank buds, they look greasy af

xet

Im still jar curing the organic so i cant compare smoke quality but looks definitely improved. Not that the old batch wasn't a pleasure to smoke:smoke:
The true thing about organic is that there is no ceiling to the complexities by which can be introduced and procured by the final product. This has to do with bioaccumulation, nutrient density, and many other factors which are intertwined with knowledge-based and practice-based procedures and not label-based.

MrBreeze911

The true thing about organic is that there is no ceiling to the complexities by which can be introduced and procured by the final product. This has to do with bioaccumulation, nutrient density, and many other factors which are intertwined with knowledge-based and practice-based procedures and not label-based.
So when they grow wine grapes, they rely on microbes in the soil rather than chemical ferts and soilless mediums, and that helps build the terroir and terpene profile of the plant? Does it matter what specific type of microbes or just grow organic and use mykoz and compost

xet

So when they grow wine grapes, they rely on microbes in the soil rather than chemical ferts and soilless mediums, and that helps build the terroir and terpene profile of the plant? Does it matter what specific type of microbes or just grow organic and use mykoz and compost
I don't know

xet

Terroir is very real.

Organic encompasses topics and mechanisms more expansive than all of the world's libraries combined.

Endophytic fungus for example.

Start there.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I used GH Flora and Maxibloom for nearly 2 decades. In that time I grew some exceptional cannabis with amazingly strong terps. Just Lucas ratio or Maxibloom, a pinch of epsom and pH up (potassium carbonate). Lightly fed and faded well.

Neutral soil and bunny shit? Completely new level of terpene complexity. Same sticky, same power of aromas and tastes, (ok, slightly stickier)... much more complex. So I dumped everything non natural/rabbit and am relearning, again. lol ;)

Last edited: