What's new

Organic Soil Storage

M

moose eater

If all you got hit with was insect larvae, consider yourself fortunate.

Of the 70-or-80-some varieties of fungi that will/can prey on ganja, roughly a half-dozen or more are like Superman; unless you've got kryptonite, you're screwed.

There are books (not directly related to cannabis) that cover treating areas for fungi... (*'Mr. <something-or-other's> Garden' comes to mind), and in it, the author, who treats fungus-infected areas as a part of his living, basically identifies a handful of fungi that, to paraphrase, if you/your garden contracts them, the best advice is "move... relocate.".. The fungi wins before the battle begins.

For them, he added that a combination of bleach and Borax was his primary weapon of choice, if the thing could be conquered at all.

But a warning in advance; Borax will leave an unpleasant granular residue that, if it bothers you, will require a second or third scrubbing.

And due to fungi relying on what are often/typically micro-spores, that means washing the ENTIRE area(s).

Now -THAT- is a pain in the arse like no other.. let me assure you. "Danger, Will Robinson.. DANGER!!"

Been there done that, Moose. I once bought a bag of soil from a garden center that was waterlogged from sitting on a pallet in the rain. At the time I didn't have many options, but wow that one soggy bag plagued me with all kinds of insect issues for quite a few months. Never again.

fizz

Interesting, I must admit I have not looked much into this topic. I will now though. Thankfully where I live there is still a lot of biodiversity, so I typically avoid a lot of issues that other growers face thanks to good ol' mother nature. As an example I've never had spider mites, but perhaps now I should be getting my microscope out to hunt for less obvious issues. ;) Thank you, Moose.

M

moose eater

You're welcome.

It's unlikely that even with a microscope you can differentiate between one type of spore and another. You'll know you have issues when you see specific symptoms. Likely not before.

The best prophylactic where fungi is concerned it to keep your grow area clean, don't let moisture collect where it shouldn't, limit boxed in areas in your grow place that fail to ventilate readily, and don't use items that have been sealed for long periods of time with moisture in them; all of that is a set-up for fungus.

On the brighter side, of the 70-some or 80-some varieties of fungi, the vast majority, even some that cause a pain in the keister, can be whipped if treated.

Reading up on fungus issues is an excellent place to start...:tiphat:

Interesting, I must admit I have not looked much into this topic. I will now though. Thankfully where I live there is still a lot of biodiversity, so I typically avoid a lot of issues that other growers face thanks to good ol' mother nature. As an example I've never had spider mites, but perhaps now I should be getting my microscope out to hunt for less obvious issues. ;) Thank you, Moose.