What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Organic Satori / Skunk / Ice Cream under 400W HPS

Organic Satori / Skunk / Ice Cream under 400W HPS

• Black Label Doublegum

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Paradise Allkush / Sheherazade

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Paradise Durga Mata

• Paradise Ice Cream (my last seed)

• Paradise Nebula

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • Paradise Dutch Dragon

• Sensi Shiva Shanti

• Sagarmatha Western Winds

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • Ace Seeds Pakistan Chitral Kush

Votes: 8 9.8%
  • Mandala Satori

Votes: 12 14.6%
  • Mandala Beyond the Brain

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Mandala Rishi Kush

• Mandala Point of No Return

• Mandala Safari Mix

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nirvana Full Moon

• Nirvana New York Power Diesel

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • Nirvana Strawberry Cough

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • Delicious Critical Kush

• Seedsman Kerala x Skunk

• Pure Filipino Sativa

• Pure Cambodian Sativa

• Pure Indian Sativa

• Homegrown Fantaseeds AC Diesel

• Homegrown Fantaseeds Afghani

• Old but Good Seeds (that may or may not germ)

• Total voters

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
nice work gelado,,getting the ice cream dialled in,,running quite a few "jacky white" myself presently,,good decision not getting a cheap job,,cant piss about with electrics,,,looking forward to you growing out the sartori,,very best of luck g,,,,944s2

Gelado`

Veteran
944 the Ice Cream is so good I can't let it go just yet! Great flavor and it always has the potency. Satori is looking good and is winning as far as stalk thickness goes...it'll be nice to have some new smoke! Looks like I'll have a good amount of Ice Cream again too, and some more sticky, trich-filled Skunk!

Gelado`

Veteran
My smallest Ice Cream is not going to be much of a yielder as it should finish at a foot tall or so (single cola style), so I transplanted a second small Ice Cream clone into the pot and I also transplanted a small IC clone into the five gallon pot with the Ice Cream and Satori. The little clones should only yield 5-10 grams each, max. I have another three Ice Cream clones and a Satori rooting under CFL; I'll let those veg to about a foot and then move in a few more clones to fill in the two remaining two gallon Smartpots in the tent. I'll take some more clones from those clones and keep them as mothers for my next run (October or November).

By moving two more clones in later, I'll know how much space I'll have to work with once the other girls start filling out and I'll be able to maximize the use of the space in the tent without overcrowding it.

Jhhnn

Veteran
You'll like the Satori. Not so much for the look, the taste or the smell, but for the high. It has that don't think you're stoned until you realize you're floating effect. Later, when you think it's wearing off, it'll show you that you're mistaken. Quite cerebral, with sativa leaning phenos being more so. 70 days flowering, minimum.

That's my one grow experience.

Gelado`

Veteran
Thanks Jhhnn. From the looks of my Satori it's going to yield well (for its size), and I've only heard good things about its high. :) I'm getting some interesting blackcurrant/blackberry odors from it too, which I'm definitely not complaining about!

I'm really glad I picked up a new bulb. I decided to walk into a commercial lighting supply place that sold more CFLs than anything else. They didn't know what a HPS was and didn't have any out in the front of the store. They had to pick up a catalog, and then they were looking at the frosted HPS bulbs in there. The next page over was the clear kind, which I pointed at. They asked me if I wanted warm or cool white. lol. I just raised an eyebrow and said warm white in 400W.

One of the guys went in the back and came back with an HPS bulb. He thought it was the wrong bulb and was all apologetic and ready to take it back; I looked it over and it was a Philips Son-T Pio Plus that puts out over 55,000 lumens from a 400W vs the standard 46,000 or so.

They had list prices and specs in the official catalog, but they charged me 5% or so less than the list price. From looking at Philips' site, the bulb has an upgraded light spectrum too (more far red and a little more blue) and extended bulb life (it should be good for 14 months of flowering with minimal degradation in lumen output). For $23 it was a total score! I didn't have to order one and the next time I need one it's only a ten-minute drive away! It was pretty entertaining buying something they didn't know they had in stock and then confirming it was exactly what I wanted with the specs in the catalog...I don't think they sell a lot of HPS bulbs. lol. They were looking at me like I was some kind of lighting pro.

Gelado`

Veteran
Almost a month since flip; the Ice Creams look to have come along a week faster than usual, so lets say three weeks of flowering. Up to eight weeks to go; I'm just taking it as it comes and feeding weekly. :)

The Satori is now the tallest plant by about 1/2". I raised the light an inch. The plants seem to like the new bulb.

i got one really wierd paint thinner pheno of satori... space high

1 plant from 6 packs..

if it wasnt identical, i would say it was a different plant

Gelado`

Veteran
I've heard there can be some odd aromas in the Satoris...time will tell as it's still early days and aromas shift around through flowering in my experience!

Gelado`

Veteran
So I've decided to grow bigger plants with multiple tops for my next run (in the fall)--two big plants in five gallons that are vegged to 18" or so before the flip and topped multiple times so they fill up the area better. I'm thinking Ice Cream and Satori, with two smaller plants in two gallon Smartpots in the middle for variety.

For now, since I have space for two more plants, I may pop my remaining Ice Cream bean and maybe my Delicious Seeds Critical Jack.

Gelado`

Veteran
I've been running a 250W metal halide at 50% on my 400W digital ballast during veg; yesterday I looked at the bulb and noticed flakes of ceramic from the contacts inside the lamp were floating around. Uh oh. Looks like the bulb was getting too hot, even if I was getting great veg rates under it. I'll pick up a 400W MH, if necessary, but I'm going to be keeping moms and taking clones under CFL through the summer and early fall, so there may be no need. I considered buying a new ballast and light for the 250W, but I think they'll do just fine with the combined 150W of CFL and 70-80W (actual draw) of plant specific LEDs. The CFLs and LEDs will put out less heat than the halide too, so I won't have to worry about heat and running air conditioning to keep the plants cool during the summer months.

The Satori is still stretching; now a good 2-3" taller than my Ice Cream bush. The plants are definitely responding well to the new light. I feel I have my medium too wet, but the large amount of coco in the medium, combined with the Smartpots, is keeping the soil aerated. I water all my plants with 1.5 quarts a day (1.5 spread among them, a total of 11 gallons of media) to keep the top of the soil moist, which keeps the biological activity up and also stops dust from blowing around (since the top of the soil is wet). As the plants fatten up and temps rise next week, the plants should start using up more water, so they should be good. I'll keep up with the 1.5 qt applications and let them dry out a little.

Going to hit them with a few ml of neem oil and their first feed of Plagron Alga Bloom (0.1% solution) next week; for now they appear to be loving the generous top dressing they just got.

I read that triacontanol (from alfalfa or otherwise) should only be applied once at a low dosage to boost yield, so I won't feed with alfalfa again during this flowering cycle.

Gelado`

Veteran
The Satori continues to stretch! Now 4-5" taller than the Ice Creams, which are also budding upward. I have about 10" of height left for my lamp before it gets uncomfortably close to the top of the tent, so here's hoping she slows down. I've had to raise the light an inch a day to keep the Satori's top at 12" from the bulb.

Been feeding them with Plagron Alga Bloom and Plagron Neem; about 6 ml per gallon of Alga Bloom and about the same of neem. They look great. The largest Ice Cream has a few yellowing leaves, but they were already starting to yellow from water deprivation when I got back from my trip a month ago, so the plant is just letting them go. The leaves that are going are close to the thickening colas, so that's a good thing as I don't want them promoting mold. Everything looks great!

I'm probably going to pop something new once I get my (non-grow related) stuff out of the way. I haven't decided what just yet, but I have too many strains to play with and no fridge for my seeds at this time (my old one died on me). That'll be my reward for getting my stuff done as I've really been slacking!

Gelado`

Veteran
I forgot to mention that I spotted an opened nanner on my Skunk--with pollen in it. Looks like I'm going to have some seds in my crop! I pulled some off the first time I ran the Skunk and I guess I caught them early enough. I won't be running the Skunk again, although I may have some selfed seeds to work with in future!

Gelado`

Veteran
Well, I haven't gotten as much done as I wanted to, so I transplanted another Ice Cream clone into the tent. The warmer temperatures over the last week have helped my clones grow more rapidly and the Satori rooted in one week! I still have two Ice Cream clones rooting under CFL; I'll use them as mom material for the summer and I may transplant the Satori clone into the tent once it starts vegging more quickly as I'm very impressed with the strain's vigor.

Everything is chunking up nicely and the scrubber is doing a great job of keeping the odor under control--for now. That may also be because I'm keeping the medium evenly wet. When I let the medium dry out in the last cycle and then watered thoroughly, the smell was incredibly intense! It's still early days for the girls, so they might get stinky in a week or two, or maybe the lower temps are helping with keeping the smell under control.

The Satori also appears to have stopped stretching...finally! I raised the light an inch yesterday, which may cause it to shoot up another inch...we'll see.

Gelado`

Veteran
Had to pull the two little clones I put in several weeks ago; they were barely rooted when I moved them under the HPS and they weren't going anywhere. The new clone looks great and I won't flower the rest until they are vegging comfortably.

Just sowed seven Sour Mist beans from 2006; I tried to pop a few last year and couldn't get any to germ, so I decided I might as well give the rest a shot now. Sowed them into fresh, moist seed starting mix and then covered them over with a plastic bag with a hole in it for air transfer and put them about 6" above my ballast. Fingers crossed...I'd love a sprout or two since there aren't anymore of these beans around!

Gelado`

Veteran
Satori and Ice Cream tops: around five weeks since flip, so around four weeks of flowering I guess. The Ice Cream has tons of tops.

picture.php

Top of the Satori:

picture.php

My Skunk female that chucked some pollen for me...fattening up nicely.

picture.php

Ice Cream bush: this is about half the tops on the plant. I should get 2-3 oz from this girl. 30" or so tall.

picture.php

Little Ice Cream girl. Around a foot tall. Should yield a half oz, tops, I think.

picture.php

Gelado`

Veteran
I rolled up a blunt of the Ice Cream today--my first blunt in years. Tastes amazing when pulling through it unlit, and smokes beautifully too. I won't make blunts a habit though, they're wasteful and tobacco is no good for you. ;)

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
nice work as always gelado,,,I could spot that ice cream hydra,,looking real good mate,i
i know just how shes stinking,,s2:tiphat: