What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Organic Ebb & Flow Res temps?

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Hi! :)

I have experience with having E&F res temps between 65F and 85F... when using chem nutes. Is this possible with organics?

Appreciate the feedback. :tiphat:

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

It's all about maintaining your reservoir as if it was a fish tank. Remember it's ALIVE when using organics.

Shouldn't be a problem with proper reservoir maintenance i.e. Adding beneficial bacteria, feeding the beneficial bacteria, adding enzymes and fungi, topping off with fresh water, ect. Maybe even adding an air stone when the temps are the warmest.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Well... that's a layer of complexity I should have expected from organics. LOL

Helpful information, thanks. :D

85 is awfully warm. Too warm. Warm water means less oxygen available, which means more anaerobic bateria (The bad stuff), which means higher chances of pythium, root rot, stem rot, and more...

You really need to keep your reservoir below 80. If you can't handle the heat then you need to turn things off till it cools down. The equipment to cool water is expensive and creates more heat; which means more A/C and more $$. I decided it was cheaper to turn things off in the summer months.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
See... with chem nutes and a medium based or E&F setup... 85F is just fine.
Plenty of O2 in the root zones because of the medium.

Hrmmm.... the whole organic material in warm water thing. Yeah, bleah.

I always recommend that if people can't keep their temps down with DWC... to go E&F or drip... looks like your recommendation of shutting down is in order for organics in that situation.

Anyone else have personal experience and data on the max temps they could run before 'issues' showed up? :D

If you've had a good experience with E&F at 85, then go ahead and run organics at 85.

Organics doesn't change the situation, it helps it with the beneficials killing and eating the bad stuff.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
If you've had a good experience with E&F at 85, then go ahead and run organics at 85.

Organics doesn't change the situation, it helps it with the beneficials killing and eating the bad stuff.

Well... I'm not running organics. Otherwise I would. :tiphat:

IS there anyone running a warm res in this here organic hydro forum? Specifically with medium based systems like pebbles or coco or perlite or whatnot? :)

Trewarin

the colonies WILL adapt to the stress, as long as you have a constant ebb and flood... there will be PLENTY of D.O around the roots as it drains (which is where it matters).
I have huge res temp swings in my aquaponics systems, its just my fish I need to worry about with temp... the nutrients are always available in a balanced system.
Best thing about organic hydro in E+F is that after about a year the thing has BRILLIANT plant growth... DO NOT CLEAN OUT YOUR SYSTEM BETWEEN GROWS.

I've found simply making sure the media is turned over a little every 6 months and removing any root mass is fine (to prevent anaerobic area's)

Ebb n Flow has proven to be a perfect system. No moving parts, built in over flow, and self draining.

No reason to change perfection.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
the colonies WILL adapt to the stress, as long as you have a constant ebb and flood... there will be PLENTY of D.O around the roots as it drains (which is where it matters).
I have huge res temp swings in my aquaponics systems, its just my fish I need to worry about with temp... the nutrients are always available in a balanced system.
Best thing about organic hydro in E+F is that after about a year the thing has BRILLIANT plant growth... DO NOT CLEAN OUT YOUR SYSTEM BETWEEN GROWS.

I've found simply making sure the media is turned over a little every 6 months and removing any root mass is fine (to prevent anaerobic area's)
Very interesting indeed. Thank you very much. :D

medicalmj

Veteran
DO NOT CLEAN OUT YOUR SYSTEM BETWEEN GROWS.

That's interesting. Right now I am doing a top feed DTW w GH Orgo. Media: couple of them are coco-ton and a couple straight coco. I really like the coco-ton mix (I mix my own - cana & hydroton).

I am thinking of switching to E&F soon (have eveything on hand to do any type of hydro system) but have read to clean system between grows. Other than the hassle and time, are there benefits to not cleaning?

Thanks for your insights. I just bought the GH orgo go box so organics is new for me. So far the results are great. I also have been making my own ACT...

cateros

As far as res temp in organics from what I have heard is that the benficial bacteria that you need thrive in lower temps , and the harmful bacteria thrives the warmers it gets.