What's new

Organic Citrus Fermented Insecticide

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Just found this. Anyone use something like this?

I'll report this outdoor season.

176398578_4229728140393132_6049098711356275037_n.jpg

thailer

I have made it. I have not used it. My reading said that Saccharomyces cerevisiae makes citric acid when it breaks down lemon peels and this creates the same citric acid in products like Nuke Em and Dr Zymes. I know one person who has used it and they told me about it where they used the brewers yeast. This person had spider mites for many months and they were pretty desperate for a cure. Spent lots of money on all sorts of cures and then they made this recipe and quit all their posts about the mites from hell and started singing praises towards this citric recipe and some other thing I think a probiotic or compost tea foliar? Something I thought was benign compared to the citric acid spray. So I read about it and thought I could use EM1 which I think has the Saccharomyces cerevisiae because I wanted to be sure I got the right type of yeast.

Microbeman let’s see if this spiffy new website can has some cool tools and mention the microbe expert!!

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have made it. I have not used it. My reading said that Saccharomyces cerevisiae makes citric acid when it breaks down lemon peels and this creates the same citric acid in products like Nuke Em and Dr Zymes. I know one person who has used it and they told me about it where they used the brewers yeast. This person had spider mites for many months and they were pretty desperate for a cure. Spent lots of money on all sorts of cures and then they made this recipe and quit all their posts about the mites from hell and started singing praises towards this citric recipe and some other thing I think a probiotic or compost tea foliar? Something I thought was benign compared to the citric acid spray. So I read about it and thought I could use EM1 which I think has the Saccharomyces cerevisiae because I wanted to be sure I got the right type of yeast.

Microbeman let’s see if this spiffy new website can has some cool tools and mention the microbe expert!!

When I get home.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
When I get home.

Here is the list from years ago. These days they hide a lot of the active microbes from the label due to licensing.
https://logicalgardener.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=122&hilit=effective+microorganisms [a resource site I set up with Tad and Spurr]

List of beneficial microbes in EM

THE LACTO GROUP
-Lactobacillus plantarum – facultative anaerobe – bacteria – microaerophilic*
-Lactobacillus casei - facultative anaerobe – bacteria - microaerophilic
-Lactobacillus. fermentum - facultative anaerobe - bacteria - microaerophilic
-Lactobacillus salivarius - facultative anaerobe - bacteria - microaerophilic
-Lactobacillus bulgaricus {delbrueckii} - facultative anaerobe- bacteria - microaerophilic (I think)

YEAST – I have seen more than one variety of yeast in EM stock; I believe not everything in EM stock is always listed for export and bureaucratic reasons, thus the lack of actinobacteria being listed
-Saccharomyces cerevisiae - facultative anaerobe – yeast

THE PURPLE NON-SULFUR BACTERIA (PNSBs) are facultative anaerobic bacteria but I’m not certain if microaerophilic;

Rhodopseudomonas palustris facultative anaerobe- bacteria
Rhodobacter sphaeroides
R. capsulatus

I believe that *microaerophilic [requiring lower levels of O2 than in atmosphere to survive] bacteria have been classed as obligate-aerobes

Good luck. Let me know if it works.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
BTW I just killed some mites with potassium soap and 70% alcohol about 60% water - 40% alcohol. I have not sufficient rove beetles here

nattyroots

What would be the proper citric acid ratio to use? And could you sprat through flowering, like Lost Coast Plant Therapy, for example?

thailer

What would be the proper citric acid ratio to use? And could you sprat through flowering, like Lost Coast Plant Therapy, for example?

2 ounces per gallon I was told for this recipe and it’s probably fine for flowering plants.

Gry

Veteran
Regret no being able to put up stars on threads that seem of note or useful.
Like this one for example.

thailer

At which strength? Do you by any chance know? 50% or lower?

i haven't tried it out myself but the person who did make it and used it, told me that was the amount to use: 2oz per gallon so if you feel like it needs to be stronger, i would do some testing on just a couple plants. i would think it would be pretty easy to double it considering what it is. the 2oz per gallon worked well for two spot mites they said.

thailer

Regret no being able to put up stars on threads that seem of note or useful.
Like this one for example.

there is not a rating of stars anymore but the first post of every thread you can like the OP's post and in the forum list of threads, you'll notice it shows how many people liked the first post by the place where you can see how many views, posts, last post by whom, etc so it still has a way to grade how great a thread is.