What's new

Orange Spiced Mead

vintner

Careful, I just had my bullshit meter recalibrated
Veteran
Sounds good Don. Thanks for the up-date. My batch turned out the color of light beer. Hope it turns out good for ya.

D

Don Cotyle

Hi Vin, The fermentation process is all but finished, I'm still getting a bubble every 6-7 minutes. I'm just waiting for it to settle out, I've got about an inch of setiment on the bottom and the color has changed to a beautiful light orange-golden yellow!!! This should make some great wine, I'll be ordering some new bottles and corks for this batch, I'll be useing my Portugese corker soon, say in about a month!!!

D

Don Cotyle

Thought it was time for an update! Well it's been 31 days and there's about an inch of dead yeast that's settled out to the bottom. The fruit and zest is slowly begining to drop to the bottom also, you can see some of their trails as they slid down along the side of the carboy. The wine has turned a golden orange and is getting quite translucent. This is gonna be an excellent Mead.

Props on the recipe Vinter,very easy to follow and no racking...whats not to like!!!

vintner

Veteran
Looks Yummy Don! Mine came out the color of light beer, just like that. Yeah, all the fruit should be settled out by 2 months. I just bottled right off the lees. It wasn't too gasy by then that I had to worry about blown corks. Thaniks for the update.

D

Don Cotyle

Thanks Vin, I'll be buying some bottles and corks soon and be starting some Tropical Raisin Jack soon in the grow closet and building a halo to direct the Co2 over my Plants! to help with the heat. I'll also be putting the recipe in this area soon as well!

vintner

Veteran
Sounds great. Looking forward to the recipe. "Tropical" sounds iinteresting.

cocktail frank

Ubiquitous
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
sweet shit vin!
never wandered around this part of the forum.
awesome thread!
you should put the link in yer sig for all to see.

vintner

Veteran
Thanks CF. I like your avitar. I plan to start a thread soon on how to make wine from a kit. It will be in this section of the forum, and I'll put a link to that in my sig while I'm working on it.

D

Don Cotyle

Hi Vin, I syphoned off a 750ml bottle of the Orange Spiced Mead last weekend and just like we thought it was bone dry. Next time I'll try 13 pounds of honey instead of 10 per 5 gallon batch! But no worries, it was delicious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It has a wonderful Floral bouquet and is almost crystal clear!!! I only added 2 tablespoon of sugar one white and one brown and it was perfect not to dry or to sweet!!!!!

I'm geting ready to order 2 dozen bottles, 100 corks and a corker so I'll soon do a pictorial update, the wine has a beautful golden yellow color to it!!!

Thanks again and PROPS for the great reciepe Bro!!! I'll soon get the Tropical Raisin Jack going so look for the reciepe in the Cannabis Brewing forms, I'll probably just shoot you a PM with the link! Don!!!

R

Raistlin Majere

Don Cotyle said:
Hi Vintner, My order came in today!!! I ordered the following:

3 S-type airlocks @ .99cents each
3 Bungs small pre-drilled to fit the locks for 5 gal carboys @.99 cents each
2 20 count each packs of Campden tablets @ .99cents each
2 5 gal Carboy Sheild Jackets @ $ 7.95 each

Subtotal $23.82
S&H $14.19 UPS 3 day Select
Tax $00.00
Total $38.01

hey don could you post a link please where you ordered from :rasta:
thanks

D

Don Cotyle

Sure can RM...http://itsallwine.com/

another excellent site for supplies,reciepes, ideas and yeasts is...http://www.eckraus.com/

Sure hope it helps!!! Don!

Oh Yea, I got an idea for killing 2 birds with 1 stone! I decided to adda 5 gallon carboy into my grow closet to make a batch of wine in there and to direct the Co2 from fermentation onto my Bermese Dream plant ;) =P

I'll drill 64th inch holes where needed into the hose to direct the Co2 where it's needed, this should also help with the warm temps in summer! LOL, should at least prove interesting!!! Check this form out from time to time, I'll be adding a recipe for Tropical Rasin Jack soon, the new batch going into the closet!

Last edited:

vintner

Veteran
Any up-dates on the spiced mead? No rush Bro, just wonderin'.

R

Raistlin Majere

thank you Don :rasta:
hiya vin :wave:
i am thinking that once the weather gets cold and i am stuck inside
i might get this brewing thing rolling a bit
and $40 is not alot of money to start off
is that a complete list of what i will need for this ?
plus a carboy

vintner

Veteran
Raistlin Majere said:
thank you Don :rasta:
hiya vin :wave:
i am thinking that once the weather gets cold and i am stuck inside
i might get this brewing thing rolling a bit
and $40 is not alot of money to start off
is that a complete list of what i will need for this ?
plus a carboy

Sounds good Raistlin. Making wine is a bit like growing in that temp regulation is going to be important, and in the winter, you'll need to keep your wine someplace realatively warm while it's fermenting and starting to clear.
I'm a bit confused. Where are you thinking you've seen a list of equipment, and a price of $40 in those links?
If you look in Dons pix you'll see that he uses plastic water jugs as carboys. I'm pretty sure you'll be hard pressed to find a 6 gallon one to make kit wines in. As long as the wine isn't kept in them too long, these plastic jugs are fine. (Chime in w/any oppinions here Don.) And I'm sure between Don and I we can come up w/dozen or more good wine recipes you can make using a 5 gallon plastic water jug. I'm not sure about most of Dons recipes, but most all of the ones I have need to be aged for a year or more though. The kits I make which are made to be drank as soon as their bottled are $50/kit which makes 6 gallons of wine.
Our house hunting is creepng along rather slowly, :fsu: and I'm afraid the market is starting to slow down some even in this area. If we don't shit or get off the pot here soon, I'm going to say screw it, and start another wine kit (I'm out of wine damn it!), get my wine kit tutorial thread started, and put my poor little clone into flower. I'll keep yall up-dated.

R

Raistlin Majere

don listed supplys he bought earlier in the thread
i was gonna give this mead thing a whack, not the wine kits

i can get a 5gal water bottle no prob(i like the glass though), i just need a detailed list of what else to get from the links provided

3 S-type airlocks @ .99cents each
3 Bungs small pre-drilled to fit the locks for 5 gal carboys @.99 cents each
2 20 count each packs of Campden tablets @ .99cents each
2 5 gal Carboy Sheild Jackets @ $ 7.95 each

one or two of each of these ?

hey vin you could move out this way :friends: lots of nice houses for sale around here
house auctions going on almost daily
i'll be watching for your thread bro :rasta:

vintner

Veteran
Well, you don't need a carboy shield at all. That's just something nice to have. I just use a heavy winter blaket. You'll need one air lock and one bung for each batch of wine you start. It's nice to always have one more clean carboy than you have batches of wine going so that you always have something clean to syphon the wine into. Did you ever get to that store in your area that sells wine and beer making equipment?
We're looking for 3+ mostly wooded/secluded acres. I'll drop you a PM when the thread starts.

R

Raistlin Majere

2 carboys
one air lock (s shaped?)
one bung - for each carboy ? so 2 right (and they go in the bung hole i assume :muahaha:)
and thing else ? tubing ect.

i went back to that store only once, during regular bisness hours and they were not open again, it a antique store as well
i don't know WTF is up with that place ???

We're looking for 3+ mostly wooded/secluded acres
sounds like a place i would like to live at :friends: great minds think alike :joint:

vintner

Veteran
One batch of wine = 1 air lock, 1 bung, 2 carboys. 2 batches of wine = 2 air locks, 2 bungs and 3 carboys... Yes, you'll need a food grade hose to syphon (rack) the wine from one carboy to the next. They sell rigid tubing that goes one one end of the hose and into the carboy to make racking easier. You don't nessesarily need one, but they're pretty inexpencive, and I'd recomend you get one. They come in various sizes, and I'd recommend getting one that you can add a bottling wand to later.
http://www.eckraus.com/WINEMAKING/W...and-_Bottling/Racking_Tubes/Page_1/RK427.html
Hope this helps

D

Don Cotyle

Yo Vin, Look at the end of page 2 of this thread for the latest update, ya might of missed it! I did a taster 750ml botte,excellent floral bouquet,wonderfull taste and I added 2 tablespoons sgar back per of white and brown! WEEEEEEEdogies!!!!!

Yo RM, there's never any clutter when asking questions about wine and supplies in a wne thread ;) You may want to pickup an auto syphon, an 8" funnel with screen, 2 dozen 750 ml bottles, a corker in the 8$-16$ range and some #8 natural corks say 30 to start! They also sell glass carboys for around 30$ each, or check the flea markets for old glass water bottles!

Peace Don!

Latest posts

Latest posts