What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Optimal EC values in Hempy Bucket?

pim

Hi,

after extensive research i've only become more confused. In the Hempy thread somebody said optimal values are

- 0.8 for veg
- 1.0-1.2 for flowering

Is this correct? After googling i've seen all kinds of values suggested
What is your opinion? Currently i'm few weeks into flowering, and have given em EC 1.0 nutrients and they show signs of slight magnesium deficiency. What to do?

(I'm using Remo nutrients and growing Gorilla Zkittlez with LEDs...)

Last edited by a moderator:

Chuckeye

Depends on the nutrient line.

Do Remo not provide a feeding schedule (as a starting point) ?

I've only ever used GH MaxiSeries with hempy and based my feed off their schedule, then plus or minus depending on the plants reaction. And I feed by weight of nutrients per gallon, not EC.

Cheers

Reactions: pim

pim

Do Remo not provide a feeding schedule (as a starting point) ?
They do, but the fine shop keep told me that i should start by 50% values or so and see what happens. After some experimenting ive found a ratio which gives 0.9-1.0 EC solution.

If you use the default Remo schedule you end up with EC 4.5 nutrient solution according to him (i didn't try this but seems correct based on ratios i tried.) Its also first time im ever using EC meter. I had ~10 years break and never have had any kind of problems before with Hempy Buckets, always got bomb from the get go, but back then i used ESLs...

Last edited:

goingrey

Depends on many things of course. Another worth taking into account is watering frequency. If the media dries up the EC will rise because there is less water. Not sure if that is what was meant with the EC rising, or runoff having higher EC? Instead of using a higher EC you could water with the same EC more frequently.

pim

Depends on many things of course. Another worth taking into account is watering frequency. If the media dries up the EC will rise because there is less water. Not sure if that is what was meant with the EC rising, or runoff having higher EC? Instead of using a higher EC you could water with the same EC more frequently.
If i spill some water out from reso and measure it, it has higher EC value than the same solution which has been sitting in a can. Ive read if that happens, it means plants use more water than nutrients and perhaps i should rather lower the solutions than raise em. Is this correct?

Desert Dan

Veteran
I’m in coco hempy’s now and feed full strength from clone…

My tap water is 1.0 EC. When I add 1 tsp of Maxibloom it comes out around 2.5 EC with no issues. I let runoff creep up to around 4.0 EC before needing to flush more volume through the media.

I think it is more important to monitor your environment and specifically ppfd.

-DD

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Keep your EC steady and try to minimize the swings. You can raise and lower the EC with the intake and output of the water. I think using ppm is much easier to watch than using EC so if your meter has both, switch and use the ppm.

pim

I’m in coco hempy’s now and feed full strength from clone…

My tap water is 1.0 EC. When I add 1 tsp of Maxibloom it comes out around 2.5 EC with no issues. I let runoff creep up to around 4.0 EC before needing to flush more volume through the media.

I think it is more important to monitor your environment and specifically ppfd.

-DD
My tap water is 0.2 EC and now i'm even more confused.

Keep your EC steady and try to minimize the swings. You can raise and lower the EC with the intake and output of the water. I think using ppm is much easier to watch than using EC so if your meter has both, switch and use the ppm.
Yeah it does, but what kind of values i should be looking for?

Remo has this calculator:

Ive used exactly 50% of the suggested amounts, 8ml/10l, which gives me EC 0.9 solutuion, which raises to 1.0 after a while in reso. All plants show now signs of magnesium deficiency on lowest leafs. What should i do?
Increase amount of all solutions? Decrease everything? Increase only magnesium? Im confuze. :(

Last edited:

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
What is the

Ive used exactly 50% of the suggested amounts, 8ml/10l, which gives me EC 0.9 solutuion, which raises to 1.0 after a while in reso. All plants show now signs of magnesium deficiency on lowest leafs. What should i do?
Increase amount of all solutions? Decrease everything? Increase only magnesium? Im confuze. :(

It's ok to be a little confused. You can figure this out if you know what the pH is. What is the pH of the water in the substrate after you feed? What is the EC in the substrate after you feed?

pim

What is the pH of the water in the substrate after you feed? What is the EC in the substrate after you feed?
I've never measured PH here, as i didn't have any problems back in the days... I prolly should've bought a meter which can measure PH too, but i've read you don't need to measure PH in Hempy Bucket, because perlite+vermiculite is PH neutral media. Oh well...

EC is 0.9 in the substrate and raises in reso to 1.0-1.1, thats all i can say for sure. Should i go get PH meter or is there a way to figure these out without one?

Desert Dan

Veteran
I've never measured PH here, as i didn't have any problems back in the days... I prolly should've bought a meter which can measure PH too, but i've read you don't need to measure PH in Hempy Bucket, because perlite+vermiculite is PH neutral media. Oh well...

EC is 0.9 in the substrate and raises in reso to 1.0-1.1, thats all i can say for sure. Should i go get PH meter or is there a way to figure these out without one?
I’d definitely grab a pH meter… Also, you may need a calmag supplement if you are running led with 0.2 EC tap water.

When I ran RO I’d need to bring my EC up to 0.6 - 0.8 with calmag prior to adding base nutes in order to avoid deficiencies.

-DD

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran

All indoor and greenhouse growers need to have a pH and an EC or TDS meters. That way you will know what to do in case of problems. Not having them can come back and bite oneself on the ass.

pim

I’d definitely grab a pH meter… Also, you may need a calmag supplement if you are running led with 0.2 EC tap water.

When I ran RO I’d need to bring my EC up to 0.6 - 0.8 with calmag prior to adding base nutes in order to avoid deficiencies.

-DD
I've read something like this and have to try it, after i get the PH meter.

All indoor and greenhouse growers need to have a pH and an EC or TDS meters. That way you will know what to do in case of problems. Not having them can come back and bite oneself on the ass.
Yeah will do, unfortunately it will prolly take few days. I will get back on this once i get it sorted.

StickyBandit

I'm running all hempys now for some months, best move I ever made imo
I don't water to run off but I never feed over 1.5EC for heavy feeders and half that for light feeders pH 6.0-6.2
Rain water and LEDs and I sometimes foliar spray with epsom salts 1 tablespoon/ 4 Liters
I water/feed to the bottom of the bucket through a feed tube

pim

I gave up on spending $100-200 for PH meters. I use the PH drops now without issues.
I went this route as it was the cheapest.

Tap water pH is 8.0, with EC 0.2 / 198 ppm.

The solution pH is 7.0 after sitting a day in a bucket. This solution has extra 4ml/10l of magnifical, as a test, as i had to give them water yesterday without knowing exactly how how to fix the issue.

The solution is EC 0.9 / 669 ppm in the bucket. Solution in the reso has stopped raising in EC, but now it seems to get lower over time: it was EC 0.9 yesterday but has become lower to EC 0.7 / 502 ppm.

pH seems to be the same, or at least i don't see any difference when comparing the solution in a reso to the solution in the bucket.

What to do to come up with optimal solution for the poor plants of mine?

pim

i assume its more about getting the correct elemental value. not simply ec?
Well yeah, i would prefer to see the plants to live and prosper, but unfortunately it isn't happening as stated earlier. I couldn't give less if the EC/pH values were whatever, if the plants weren't showing signs of magnesium deficiency....

Latest posts

Latest posts