What's new

opinions on veg lighting

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Just go for an hps (dual spectrum bulb) from seedling to harvest without any need to change bulbs or ballasts. I do it all the time with a 400w hps growlux (dual spectrum bulb) from seed to harvest with great results everytime. Why use fluros or mh lamps when 1 lamp (hps) does all ???.

Ick, I hate those bulbs. Overpriced and their lumen output is less than the equivalent wattage bulb. Just not an efficient use of money or energy.

I agree with Digitahippy, T-5's work (especially if you dont have or want AC in your veg room) but nothing beats MH lighting for veg. I've done a few runs running 7-8KW of veg lighting and had massive plants after just a 2 week veg.

BTW< with ten inch tall vegged plants, figure on harvesting .5 to .75 oz per plant at the end. You better have a ton of them if you want to harvest pounds.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
I have always used a standard MH as well as enhanced MH bulbs for veg. I have always used both MH enhanced and HPS enhanced bulbs in combination during flowering. I just like the look of the spectrum and results compared to just HPS in flowering.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Oh btw, somebody just came out with VHO T-5's, 96w per tube I think. Not cheap, but they make a 12-tube 4 foot light that dumps a shit-ton of light on plants.

S

shuswap

topped and flowered at 10 inches the grapefruit if trimmed properly always goes just over 2 zipps per plant

+Vibes

for the outdoor folks:
vegging under HO T5's = plants need a "hardening off" period before full exposure to sun
vegging under a MH = not even a hiccup in growth... provided you matched the photoperiod :)

IME

big ballin 88

Biology over Chemistry
Veteran
for the outdoor folks:
vegging under HO T5's = plants need a "hardening off" period before full exposure to sun
vegging under a MH = not even a hiccup in growth... provided you matched the photoperiod :)

IME

Thats a very good point. I've noticied that leaves that grow under floro seem to be softer and just have a general minor difference appearance wise.

I have a related question: are the expensive "enhanced spectrum" MH lights worth it for vegging? I'm currently using an El-Cheapo GE 400 W MH. I used the savings to spring for a nice Ushio 600 W HPS for flowering, but I wonder if I was penny wise, pound foolish.

Any opinions? Is a $100 400 W MH bulb worth it over the $30 bulbs you can find at the Depot?

E

EvilTwin

I have a related question: are the expensive "enhanced spectrum" MH lights worth it for vegging? I'm currently using an El-Cheapo GE 400 W MH. I used the savings to spring for a nice Ushio 600 W HPS for flowering, but I wonder if I was penny wise, pound foolish.

Any opinions? Is a $100 400 W MH bulb worth it over the $30 bulbs you can find at the Depot?

Not for vegging imo, cheapo bulbs work just as well...just remember to replace them now and then.
ET

$30 per bulb isn't cheep ;). Never mind, just kicking to my 50 posts limit :D

It's cheap compared to the $105 600 Watt Ushio Gro Lux I purchased for flowering (less 10% discount w/ student id = $94.50)! :D

I paid $29.95 less 10% discount for a 400 Watt GE MVR400 at the local grow shop, for a total of $26.95. Not great, but not bad, considering that I pay cash for everything (no internet purchases.)

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
I veg under two T5's, area is about 7'x4'. Works great, not much heat, but I'd love to toss a 400w MH in there and see what it could do.