What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Opinion on this calcium during flowering research...

Tynehead Tom

Well..... I didn't take basic horticulture 101 after high school..... first I became a ticketed baker..... then I went back to school and became a red seal Steel Fabricator and then that wasn't enough so I put myself through the punishment of an structural engineering degree......... then I got fucked up in an accident at work and went back to being a full time pot farmer LOL
excess calcium begins to cause other issues that if one knows are available to the plant but are showing signs of being locked out...... calcium can be that culprit. Wouldn't you agree that this is this case?
What nutrients does excess calcium easily lock out?

I'm actually bored with this conversation so that will be my last reply. Seeing is believing, and I've followed enough growers that attach the importance of calcium..... all the way back to long lost posts of Tom Hill's.
I try and follow the slownickel stuff and some of the stuff chunkpigs throws down but hey...... I never took horticulture 101 right...... so lots of that discussion is way over my head. But I know how to read a pot plant..... I have 120 ish plants going right now in various stages of veg...... let's see how my calcium rich soil mix does this year shall we?

Ca++

have you followed Chunkypigs outdoor runs?
The guy smashes it every season with big healthy plants that excell in whatever concoction he has added to those monster beds. Seeing is believing and I see other growers I know smashing out 600 plant rooms of primo cannabis grown in nutrient regimens that load the calcium.
So reality is contrary to the article and the gypsum applications are indeed working and working well.
A grower knows when an input is performing or detracting from the health of the plant.
I'm going to keep applying gypsum in my garden as I have seen the results first hand and I'm thinking that article is a bunch of nonsense.

I don't wish to repeat myself, but ..

It starts with me saying I don't think low Ca would be useful.
Wings quotes me, with a post about the ill effects of high Ca
I tell wings most of his pics are irrelevant
Chunky says they are relevant (supporting wings notion that high Ca is bad)
I show where the pics came from, proving without doubt that wings proofs about the problems with high Ca are pics about something else entirely

Where am I disagreeing with your high Ca usage. My tap is 280ppm and I add to it. Very few people are using more Ca than me.

Tynehead Tom

I don't wish to repeat myself, but ..

It starts with me saying I don't think low Ca would be useful.
Wings quotes me, with a post about the ill effects of high Ca
I tell wings most of his pics are irrelevant
Chunky says they are relevant (supporting wings notion that high Ca is bad)
I show where the pics came from, proving without doubt that wings proofs about the problems with high Ca are pics about something else entirely

Where am I disagreeing with your high Ca usage. My tap is 280ppm and I add to it. Very few people are using more Ca than me.
okay maybe I got confused there ...... i do smoke an inncredible amount of cannabis hehehe
I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that I practice high Ca usage as I don't even have numbers to throw down due to not having a soil test done. It's not like I am adding calcium boosters to my feed although I will add gypsum to my feed/water if the plant needs it.
There was a member here named Rykus who has left the mainstream forums. He is a guy who's whole world since his teen years.... is growing cannabis. For several years on another smaller site he was sharing his massive grows as he juggled on average 3 x 600 plant rooms. A man who never stops trying to learn how to best feed his plants for the ultimate results of potency, flavor and yield. In a market where we can now buy ounces of really good weed for 50 bucks canadian.... this guy is still getting top dollar for the pounds he produces. Point of this story is that this guy taught me quite a bit about calcium and he followed Slownickel and Jadoka and became a student of thier ways.
I will not pretend to have the depth of knowledge thru experience that Rykus has but I do know a well grown pot plant when I see one. My use of gypsum is not heavy handed and I do not use cal/mag products. I have gypsum on hand for Ca/N/sulphur and I have epsom salts and dolopril on hand for magnesium. Several forms of potassium and Phosphorous but I rarely stray from the Lucas formula that I have adapted to my grow.
If I was targetting Ca numbers exlusively I would be looking at 150 ish for veg to a couple weeks before flower and then I am ramping up to 200 ppm thru to the 14th day of flower then ramping up to 350 - 400 day 15 to 50 then ramping down thru to the flush.
I also drop my lucas ratios considerably as I ramp up the gypsum, P and K.
In my greenhouse I don't add feeds, just water and due to the gypsum and dolopril in the mix they don't really need any supplementation. The "Tom Hill" mix I use is water only with the option of feeding and foilaring but I don't bother with the latter.
I am very pleased with the flower from my greenhouse, it burns clean with strong flavors and it get me and everyone else ripped.
09-21-2022 Bubba Royale pic 4 - Copy.JPG

10-10-2020 DNf2 SixGun pic 3.JPG

Cerathule

Well..... I didn't take basic horticulture 101 after high school..... first I became a ticketed baker..... then I went back to school and became a red seal Steel Fabricator and then that wasn't enough so I put myself through the punishment of an structural engineering degree......... then I got fucked up in an accident at work and went back to being a full time pot farmer LOL
excess calcium begins to cause other issues that if one knows are available to the plant but are showing signs of being locked out...... calcium can be that culprit. Wouldn't you agree that this is this case?
What nutrients does excess calcium easily lock out?

I'm actually bored with this conversation so that will be my last reply. Seeing is believing, and I've followed enough growers that attach the importance of calcium..... all the way back to long lost posts of Tom Hill's.
I try and follow the slownickel stuff and some of the stuff chunkpigs throws down but hey...... I never took horticulture 101 right...... so lots of that discussion is way over my head. But I know how to read a pot plant..... I have 120 ish plants going right now in various stages of veg...... let's see how my calcium rich soil mix does this year shall we?
Fine, you changed the subject from "Calcium toxicity" to "Calcium excess" and "Calcium rich soil" - to weasel around your own broscience. Up above is what a respectable Prof. wrote on Ca, and Ca tox is extremely hard to cause in plants. It means the plant itself has already assimilated so much Ca in its fluids cells etc that it's normal physiology is beginning to break down - as if a human ingested too much arsenic and gets deadly sick like poisoned. As in "toxic". Not just a big belly from too much pizza.

Tynehead Tom

Fine, you changed the subject from "Calcium toxicity" to "Calcium excess" and "Calcium rich soil" - to weasel around your own broscience. Up above is what a respectable Prof. wrote on Ca, and Ca tox is extremely hard to cause in plants. It means the plant itself has already assimilated so much Ca in its fluids cells etc that it's normal physiology is beginning to break down - as if a human ingested too much arsenic and gets deadly sick like poisoned. As in "toxic". Not just a big belly from too much pizza.
get lost LOL
I didn't change anything and you are simply trolling for arguments sake.
You do what you want with or without calcium .... don't care bud.

I have taken cannabis plants to calcium toxicity and have done the same with N, P, K and other elements and inputs so I could learn from that. It's entirely possible to push a potted plant to Ca toxicity, try it sometime.

I don't give flying fuck about what some professor of horticulture says about inputs for cannabis, no matter what they are. Most of those people have never grown a cannabis plant in thier lives while I have grown many many thousands. Not bragging , it just fact.
I also don't buy into bro science..... whatever that even means. I learn from growers of cannabis, ones I respect for the kind generous people that they are and for the plants they grow as evidence of thier skill and understanding of cannabis plants.
You have singled me out of the crowd for your own needs to pontificate and belittle those who you disagree with or those who won't accept your words.
So just get lost ..... grow your plants how you want and stop caring how I grow mine ;)
m'kay?

Ca++

Soil generally has enough Ca before feeding any. I have two soil specific feeds here, and neither provide Ca (canna and plagron). Though I'm out of ionic which has 50ppm iirc. The fact we can usually stick a plant in soil and not think about Ca, tells us any additional Ca products (like hard water) are increasing availability beyond the norm. Though there can be good reason for this, such as pot size.

As our plants don't take on Ca easily in later life, we might be tempted to increase availability. I have myself, and that grow just developed odd signs like lockout of a combination of things. I'm not sure Ca is ever going to be a toxicity problem, I think in reality, it's excess just creates other problems. The other area of interest here, is time scale. The time between being taken in, through it's movements, until assimilation. People are suggesting it's weeks. So it must be taken in weeks before it's needed. Anything taken in late, will just be present in your smoke, un-used. I can't imagine it will be any favours.

Certain this period of time is of interest, and I look forward to reading about it. Until then, I'm already on the belief trajectory anyway. Lots in grow, then through early transition, then some reduction I might be with a little more confidence in future. I know for sure, that Ca at the root is next to no use if an issue crops up later in bloom. So I tend to believe what I'm saying, though I admit some is just forum talk I find agreeable.

Heavy1

Soil generally has enough Ca before feeding any
Been reading along looking for the Goldilocks approved calcium dose for my situation.

Whats the best safe way to boost cal enough for veg and early flower in coco drain to waste, with jacks321 at 150% strength? Gypsum in the coco, pure cal, oyster shells, cal-mag?

Ca++

Been reading along looking for the Goldilocks approved calcium dose for my situation.

Whats the best safe way to boost cal enough for veg and early flower in coco drain to waste, with jacks321 at 150% strength? Gypsum in the coco, pure cal, oyster shells, cal-mag?
Are you actually having problems?
Calnit is part of your program, and most bloom feeds could take a bit more N through transition (and beyond) so many have increased the calnit in the jacks formula.

I'm not a jacks guy. We don't get it here. Bill has that great thread running, where a lot of people speak of this directly though.

Ca++

That sounds like the one. It's quite long, but people spoke about swapping the ratio's about. It was their response to LED mostly. Lower leaf temps don't drive the accumulation so much. Hopefully they describe their symptoms and the plants response. Check if they use co2, when weighing up their grows. A co2 user will often need double the feed strength, as their plants drink half as much (per amount of growth). It's due the higher co2, closing stomata. Which lowers transpiration, and thus water uptake. This is not ideal, when you hope to feed the plant more, in response to higher growth rates. So you must make the feed stronger, to account for less uptake. Calcium uptake will be effected to a great degree, as it's mainly transpiration that moves it. So they could need literally double the calcium in solution, to get the same amount to each gram of plant grown. Recently we have seen this spoke of in terms of water use efficiency (WUE) where we might see 3g grown, per liter of water. While a co2 grower might see 6g grown, per liter of water used in the grow. If you want to grow twice as much, with the same volume of water, it's going to need twice the feed put in it. Thus, the feeds of each user need translating.

Heavy1

I've got the CO2 sensor-regulator and tanks and mini split, none of my rooms are easily sealed atm so I'm not getting that set back up very fast. That's a good tip about needing extra calcium in the nutrient ratio w co2, I was using calimagic back in the day, they clearly loved as much as I wanted to give them. CO2 plants do like to eat more! Those were some of my best plants, I should probably figure out sealing a room...
And I'm still reading about calcium...
That is a great thread I'm halfway through it, had to rest my brain there is a lot there. BillFarthing's methods are exactly what I was looking to learn about. Very generous to teach everybody! Thank you as well, that thread is made of spoons! Learning tons, plenty about calcium sources as well!