What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Open Heart Surgery

BrassNwood

Veteran
Did the new primary care doctor today and got my referral satisfied for the HMO bit. Dropped off 5 years of images of the Aneurisms with the "A" team after seeing the primary and I'll meet with the "B" team next Thursday for initial consultation and the "A" team for the same the following day.

I shouldn't read on what can go wrong and the long list of complications. If you survive the first 10 days, you get a silver star. Make it to 30 days and you are past the highest risk zone and get the gold star.

Open surgery is higher risk but longest lasting with fewest long-term complications. Endovascular (stents) are a lower risk initial installation but come with a whole raft of issues that can result in more corrective work as the stents can leak or migrate and have a worse long-term prognosis.

It's enough to scare the living daylight out of a person. At least I'll have studied enough to understand what is being discussed and offered when they talk about the cryogenic side and just how long I'll be switched "Off".

CharlesU Farley

Did the new primary care doctor today and got my referral satisfied for the HMO bit. Dropped off 5 years of images of the Aneurisms with the "A" team after seeing the primary and I'll meet with the "B" team next Thursday for initial consultation and the "A" team for the same the following day.

I shouldn't read on what can go wrong and the long list of complications. If you survive the first 10 days, you get a silver star. Make it to 30 days and you are past the highest risk zone and get the gold star.

Open surgery is higher risk but longest lasting with fewest long-term complications. Endovascular (stents) are a lower risk initial installation but come with a whole raft of issues that can result in more corrective work as the stents can leak or migrate and have a worse long-term prognosis.

It's enough to scare the living daylight out of a person. At least I'll have studied enough to understand what is being discussed and offered when they talk about the cryogenic side and just how long I'll be switched "Off".
"I shouldn't read on what can go wrong and the long list of complications. If you survive the first 10 days, you get a silver star. Make it to 30 days and you are past the highest risk zone and get the gold star."

That's a very healthy way to look at it. At least they've caught the problem early, so you won't end up like John Ritter. Judging by your comment, physicians have explained pretty well the procedure options, you've done your basic research and know what to expect. Just got to see what the options are between the A and B teams. Don't be afraid to ask questions and if you don't understand something, make them stop and explain it to you in plain English, so you can understand. You have to be really adamant sometimes with these medical fucks (I used to be one), because they'll talk shit that sounds normal to them but you won't have any earthly idea what they're talking about.

So don't be afraid to interrupt them and make them explain it at a level you can understand, so you can make the best possible decision, for your situation.

And if you're a heavy cannabis user, especially smoking or vaping, be sure to tell your surgeon and anesthesiologist, if you decide to go that route. It really does make a difference, not so much with your surgical procedure, but with how much anesthesia they administer to you and how will you do in the recovery room.

Best of luck!

HarleyJammer

Veteran
The way I look at it is as if I was an old race car - that needs major mechanic attention - before it can race again - and for sure I've had the pedal to the metal most of my adult life - so now let's see - if they can fix me -

The race car analogy reminds me of a conversation I recently had with Joe the Mechanic.

Joe told me a story about his wife having open heart. During the post-op visit with the surgeon the doctor asked Joe if he could do a brake job on his BMW.

Joe replied, "Sure can Doc.. it will cost you $250k".

Astonished, the Dr said "What? Are you crazy?".

Joe said, "Well, Doc.. You charged me $250k to replace the valve in my wife.. I know how many books you had to read to get through Med School .. less than 25.. You have only ONE heart to learn about.. As a mechanic do you know how many books I had to read to learn about all the various models of cars? HUNDREDS!"..

The surgeon replied, "Alright, smartass.. Lets see you do a valve job with the engine running".

Gone Camping

Good luck @HarleyJammer

I'm better than a decade post double bypass surgery.

Might want to infuse some candies if you plan to indulge post op. You don't want to be coughing. Also you'll be on some strong pain killers, at times you won't want to eat. But you must.. vomiting on opiates and empty stomach was the absolute worst experience in my life.

Hugging pillow is mandatory. I slept in a recliner for weeks, resist the urge to stand, get out of bed without help.

It's a slow recovery but you'll get there.

Best of luck..

HarleyJammer

Veteran
Brum - Brum - this old race car needs a major service - got a leaky Mitral heart valve which the surgeon/mechanic gave me three possible fixes to choose from -

1. It looks like the valve is repairable with my own tissue

2. If he can't fix it with what material I have there of my own - then he can with some 'natural' material (probably from a human or pig) - this will only last for 10-15 years - then need to be redone via open heart surgery -

3. He can fit a prosthetic valve - made of titanium or carbon fibre that should last forever - but I will have to take Winstrol a blood thinner- for the rest of my life - and I'm really not keen on having to take any pharma meds forever -

The number one option is my best choice - hopefully he can repair that valve without needing the natural or the prosthetic option - but if I do then I'll go for number 2 -

Oh - the hair went 30 years ago - 4 false teeth already - and I'm squinting trying to write this all on my phone - lol - <creaking old codger sounds>

Pretty much the same spiel the cardiac surgery team told me. They can replace my valve with a valve from pig material via a catheter. The valve will last about 10 years. They would perform this procedure on patients in their 70's and 80's.

Keeping my age (56) in perspective they highly suggest that I opt for the mechanical valve which would last 30+ years but they would need to crack me open. Plus, I would need to take anti-coagulant for the rest of my life.

Good luck with your procedure. :)

HarleyJammer

Veteran
Good luck @HarleyJammer

I'm better than a decade post double bypass surgery.

Might want to infuse some candies if you plan to indulge post op. You don't want to be coughing. Also you'll be on some strong pain killers, at times you won't want to eat. But you must.. vomiting on opiates and empty stomach was the absolute worst experience in my life.

Hugging pillow is mandatory. I slept in a recliner for weeks, resist the urge to stand, get out of bed without help.

It's a slow recovery but you'll get there.

Best of luck..

I was already planning on opting for my cousin Sunshine's space cookies instead of smoking. They make 'em potent and delicious. One cookie and you will not be able (or want) to even drive! :)

They say it will be a 3-6 month recovery. Without this surgery they said I'll last less than 2 years.. so, I'm gonna cowboy up because the alternative seems less appealing :)

BrassNwood

Veteran
I was already planning on opting for my cousin Sunshine's space cookies instead of smoking. They make 'em potent and delicious. One cookie and you will not be able (or want) to even drive! :)

They say it will be a 3-6 month recovery. Without this surgery they said I'll last less than 2 years.. so, I'm gonna cowboy up because the alternative seems less appealing :)
I'm already in the 20% risk zone and if I do nothing, I'll be dead in 5 years at best. I've already been under the knife 3 times and have zero desire for another round of open surgery. Keeping my fingers crossed this can all be done with endovascular stents. I'll have all my answers by Friday afternoon. Damn suspense is a bitch not knowing.

CharlesU Farley

I'm already in the 20% risk zone and if I do nothing, I'll be dead in 5 years at best. I've already been under the knife 3 times and have zero desire for another round of open surgery. Keeping my fingers crossed this can all be done with endovascular stents. I'll have all my answers by Friday afternoon. Damn suspense is a bitch not knowing.
Best of luck to both y'all!!!

Even though this is totally new, alien, and scary fucking thing for you, the people who will be taking care of you do this shit for a _living_... each and every day, each and every week, each and every month... you know the rest. If they say or do something you don't understand, do not be afraid to stop them for an explanation. Going into this shit, your mind has to be right and you have to trust the people who are taking care of you.

I can tell you for a fact, the people who work in direct patient care, _especially_ critical care, ain't doing it because it's fun. They do it because they care and give a shit about you. But you are just one of many that they are responsible for and have to take care of.

Do what they say, as best you can because you're going to be hurting, and ever once in awhile, look them in the eye and say "thank you!".

You'll be surprised at the care you receive after that. :cool:

BrassNwood

Veteran
So, we did a test run into the #2 choice hospital as I didn't want to be fumbling around with multi-level parking structures and where the hell is the office today. Good we did as it was a mess and took twice as long as it should have. Parking elevators only go up to the plaza level then you get to ask where the rest of the elevators are as they are not where I got dumped out. Round and round we walked.

On the way home the guy who called and scheduled this 2 weeks ago calls and wants to know if we can bring copies of all the image files, he swore he'd be able to access. My appointment is in 24 hours. It takes the VA 48 hours from me placing my request until I get the CD disks. WTF? Over!

You screwed up sonny boy now just own up to it. He kept dancing around and I didn't say what I was thinking. Damnit to Hell. Naturally the doctor only sees patients on Thursdays and next Thursday he'll be at a conference so 2 weeks out for the next possible appointment.

Well, you were the #2 choice, and you dropped the ball. Now you're not even #2 in my book. Arrggggggg. Called the #1 team I meet with Friday to check if they had reviewed the disks, I hand delivered last week, and they have. Sweet at least that got done. Another near sleepless night of brain churning "What If's." I'll know more by mid-day Friday.

1710419066966.png

I was a happy carefree person just skipping along through life and now it's "Hey remember that ticking time bomb in your chest?" Awww did you have to bring that damn thing up now? I'm actually expired date from the last round of surgeries. Most have had 1 of more small bowl obstructions, more surgeries, and worse.

1710419451766.png

All I won was a belly full of painful adhesions.

CharlesU Farley

If it just cant get any worse...

Had the heart cath yesterday.. Conclusion: Surgery not an option. Continue 81mg aspirin and increase statin.

Waiting for appointment with 2nd opinion surgical team which is ranked #1. If they cant fix me up its time to look at that bucket list.
Fuck!!! Hope you don't have to wait a long time to be assessed by the second opinion surgical team. That not knowing shit is stressful, in and of itself. Just try to keep an open mind and stay positive, as fucking difficult as that may be.

You got a lot of shit that's been heaped on your plate right now, just got to try to push it around and eat as little of it as possible. One thing that CV surgeons do is _operate_, they like to do that because, amongst medical professionals, they can actually _cure_ shit. I'll bet you you're going to have a CV surgeon who's going to be able to fix you, that's what they do. (y)

CharlesU Farley

So, we did a test run into the #2 choice hospital as I didn't want to be fumbling around with multi-level parking structures and where the hell is the office today. Good we did as it was a mess and took twice as long as it should have. Parking elevators only go up to the plaza level then you get to ask where the rest of the elevators are as they are not where I got dumped out. Round and round we walked.

On the way home the guy who called and scheduled this 2 weeks ago calls and wants to know if we can bring copies of all the image files, he swore he'd be able to access. My appointment is in 24 hours. It takes the VA 48 hours from me placing my request until I get the CD disks. WTF? Over!

You screwed up sonny boy now just own up to it. He kept dancing around and I didn't say what I was thinking. Damnit to Hell. Naturally the doctor only sees patients on Thursdays and next Thursday he'll be at a conference so 2 weeks out for the next possible appointment.

Well, you were the #2 choice, and you dropped the ball. Now you're not even #2 in my book. Arrggggggg. Called the #1 team I meet with Friday to check if they had reviewed the disks, I hand delivered last week, and they have. Sweet at least that got done. Another near sleepless night of brain churning "What If's." I'll know more by mid-day Friday.

View attachment 18973145

I was a happy carefree person just skipping along through life and now it's "Hey remember that ticking time bomb in your chest?" Awww did you have to bring that damn thing up now? I'm actually expired date from the last round of surgeries. Most have had 1 of more small bowl obstructions, more surgeries, and worse.

View attachment 18973146

All I won was a belly full of painful adhesions.
Responded in the other thread, just got to do the best that you can to chill out, as difficult as that may be.

HarleyJammer

Veteran
Fuck!!! Hope you don't have to wait a long time to be assessed by the second opinion surgical team. That not knowing shit is stressful, in and of itself. Just try to keep an open mind and stay positive, as fucking difficult as that may be.

You got a lot of shit that's been heaped on your plate right now, just got to try to push it around and eat as little of it as possible. One thing that CV surgeons do is _operate_, they like to do that because, amongst medical professionals, they can actually _cure_ shit. I'll bet you you're going to have a CV surgeon who's going to be able to fix you, that's what they do. (y)

Thanks, Chuck. This one hospital has me all confused as F now.. this morning they send me the cath results-- no surgical intervention. I email that surgical team and ask if I should start my bucket list since they give me 18 months without surgery. They write me back saying oh no we are debating on valve/bypass open heart or a stent... so I don't know WTF is going on ... I'm waiting for the 2nd opinion hospital team to contact me .. so from worrying about open heart to no surgery possible to anything is an option... goddammit I wish they'd get their shit together.

BrassNwood

Veteran
Thanks, Chuck. This one hospital has me all confused as F now.. this morning they send me the cath results-- no surgical intervention. I email that surgical team and ask if I should start my bucket list since they give me 18 months without surgery. They write me back saying oh no we are debating on valve/bypass open heart or a stent... so I don't know WTF is going on ... I'm waiting for the 2nd opinion hospital team to contact me .. so from worrying about open heart to no surgery possible to anything is an option... goddammit I wish they'd get their shit together.
That is fucked up but like Chuck said one thing surgeons love to do is cut on people. Been there done that.
The whole not knowing and feeling I'm way out in left field and the last to get called in sucks.

CharlesU Farley

I totally and completely understand. You would think all the people taking care of you would be communicating behind the scenes to figure out what's best for you, and that _is_ what they do eventually, but just in a very convoluted and fucked up way, because they've got to do it for so many people.

You just have to realize that in this situation, there is absolutely _nothing_ you can do to control the situation and make it go faster. Until they present you with all the possible outcomes and alternatives, just take it one day at a time and deal with it as best you can without freaking out or getting mad / upset, cuz that will definitely make shit worse.

Gunner23

If it just cant get any worse...

Had the heart cath yesterday.. Conclusion: Surgery not an option. Continue 81mg aspirin and increase statin.

Waiting for appointment with 2nd opinion surgical team which is ranked #1. If they cant fix me up its time to look at that bucket list.
Harley im praying for you bub I don’t much trust drs but i believe god can do anything when you get to feeling better but have a present just for you and if your up to you can come down to the mountains and we can go fishing and smoke some 🦨 message me at jbecky416 on instagram if your interested and i dont ever give up!