What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Open Heart Surgery

CharlesU Farley

I kicked them damned things after my colon exploded in 2011. Mother of God it was a full year before I stopped seeing a butt in the gutter and thinking "That has a drag or 2 left on it" "I'll pick it up and just hold it a while."
Quit smoking? It's easy, I've done it a hundred times! :p

Know exactly what you're talking about, first thing in the morning there was nothing better than a cigarette and a cup of coffee. Pack to a pack and a half a day smoker times 15 years. The weird thing was, in the '70s a large number of respiratory therapists actually smoked cigarettes, like almost everybody else did.

I turned 30 years old in 1985, never thought I'd make it that far because all of my experience with trauma patients in Miami in the '70s. So I figured I _might_ make it to 60 and I'd be _exactly_ like the patients I was treating on a daily basis. I wanted to be around my kids and grandkids without being a wheezing, invalid old man, so I put them down in 1985. I would dream about those fucking things, for a very long time. Like you, I was definitely a butt in the gutter kind of guy. o_O

Quit January 2nd, 1985 and have not put one of my mouth since.

shithawk420

Veteran

View attachment 18975410

One last Hurrah. Damn the first date is the day after my birthday and with the axe hanging over me Aug sounds like a better shot then Oct. Hell I'll do both if it works out.

Saw them the first time in 1973 in a basketball gym at a collage in Yakama Washinton for 2 bucks. Last was 2016 at the Hollywood Bowl and 2018 at the Pond in Anaheim.

Tickets go on sale the tomorrow and the 22nd for general.
Dang! they arent playing near me. Your gonna have to go for both of us!

HarleyJammer

Veteran

Know exactly what you're talking about, first thing in the morning there was nothing better than a cigarette and a cup of coffee. Pack to a pack and a half a day smoker times 15 years. The weird thing was, in the '70s a large number of respiratory therapists actually smoked cigarettes, like almost everybody else did.

I turned 30 years old in 1985, never thought I'd make it that far because all of my experience with trauma patients in Miami in the '70s. So I figured I _might_ make it to 60 and I'd be _exactly_ like the patients I was treating on a daily basis. I wanted to be around my kids and grandkids without being a wheezing, invalid old man, so I put them down in 1985. I would dream about those fucking things, for a very long time. Like you, I was definitely a butt in the gutter kind of guy. o_O

I stopped and started cigs a bunch of times.. The longest I stopped was 5 years.. Started up a bourbon and cigar jag .. then fell back into the cigs again.. I had been rolling up my own to about a 1/2 pack a day. I had been planning on getting the Nic patch and some gum and then I caught this nosocomial infection and was too ill to smoke anyways.. Once I broke out from the fever dreams I had zero impulse to spark a cig.. I dont have any around the house.. emptied my outdoor ashtray .. So, I'm good to go.

I still have that impulse in my timing habit to go outside; its only a fraction of a second though.

With the $60 a month I'd spend on tobacco I'll take that 60 and build my genetics stash up again. :)

HarleyJammer

Veteran
If you're talking about taking yourself out, you are certainly correct! Pretty sure HJ is a tough ass man, he ain't at that point yet.
I have been dealing with this RLS forever.. When it gets bad its really bad. You want to sleep and its just phucking relentless.. Did you you know before they even had a name or dx for it the course of action was the sanitarium? .. oh yeah.. and no woman in her right mind would share a bed with me for more than one night..

1618496_10203057733542849_1057506317_n.jpg

CharlesU Farley

Last night it was like this....

View attachment 18975531
Don't know whether you've tried it or not, you probably have since your case is so severe. But my wife Harley, the nurse, just now said you ought to try drinking tonic water, lots of it, cuz it has quinine in it.

Back in the '60s my grandfather used to have exceedingly harsh cramps, he was a conductor for the L&n railroad and spent long hours on his feet and he swore by quinine. If you haven't tried it, it's cheaper than shit at the grocery store, so you don't have to give your hard earned money to the pharmacy and Harley says it might work!

Last edited:

oldmaninbc

I quit April 13th 1987, I tried quitting everyday for 3 months but always had an excuse. On that April morning I looked in the mirror and asked myself, "well what's your excuse today" I was out of excuses and quit that day, forever.
It was a good decision because years later I found out I had asbestosis and the combination of the two is a guaranteed death sentence.

oldmaninbc

I have been dealing with this RLS forever.. When it gets bad its really bad. You want to sleep and its just phucking relentless.. Did you you know before they even had a name or dx for it the course of action was the sanitarium? .. oh yeah.. and no woman in her right mind would share a bed with me for more than one night..

View attachment 18975516
I have been taking morphine since around 2010, twice I have cut back by 30mg slow release capsules, one of the effects of morphine withdrawal for me was RLS. I wanted so bad to sleep but all I could do was toss and turn relentlessly because of the RLS. I have read that some people use Gabapentin for RLS.

HarleyJammer

Veteran
I have been taking morphine since around 2010, twice I have cut back by 30mg slow release capsules, one of the effects of morphine withdrawal for me was RLS. I wanted so bad to sleep but all I could do was toss and turn relentlessly because of the RLS. I have read that some people use Gabapentin for RLS.
Currently, I am prescribed Gabapentin, C/L dopa, and Neupro patch. I have been on other types of dopamine agonists, as well. I'll stick 5% lidocaine patches on the bottom of my feet.. Sativa strains often abate symptoms..

After this heart cath the RLS has been uncontrollable.. nothing in my arsenal is working against it.

HarleyJammer

Veteran
Don't know whether you've tried it or not, you probably have since your case is so severe. But my wife Harley, the nurse, just now said you ought to try drinking tonic water, lots of it, cuz it has quinine in it.

Back in the '60s my grandfather used to have exceedingly harsh cramps, he was a conductor for the L&n railroad and spent long hours on his feet and he swore by quinine. If you haven't tried it, it's cheaper than shit at the grocery store, so you don't have to hard earned money to the pharmacy and Harley says it might work!
I'll send my neuro doc a message later.

oldmaninbc

Currently, I am prescribed Gabapentin, C/L dopa, and Neupro patch. I have been on other types of dopamine agonists, as well. I'll stick 5% lidocaine patches on the bottom of my feet.. Sativa strains often abate symptoms..

After this heart cath the RLS has been uncontrollable.. nothing in my arsenal is working against it.
I remember you mentioning taking Gabapentin, each metabolism can have different outcomes from medications. It sounds like you have been desperate for relief, I can understand why. I hope you find a way to ease your discomfort.

CharlesU Farley

I remember you mentioning taking Gabapentin, each metabolism can have different outcomes from medications. It sounds like you have been desperate for relief, I can understand why. I hope you find a way to ease your discomfort.
My son had a severe outbreak of shingles and had to use gabapentin. Harley Farley had a mild case recently, that was alleviated a bit with acyclovir.

oldmaninbc

My son had a severe outbreak of shingles and had to use gabapentin. Harley Farley had a mild case recently, that was alleviated a bit with acyclovir.
Did the gabapentin work for your son? Have seen a couple of people with shingles they did not look very comfortable. From my understanding it can flare up at times. I guess that's why some people get a vaccination for it.

The head casket went on our 2009 Subaru Impreza today, I wonder if gabapentin will fix that LOL, I know a few thousand dollars will.

CharlesU Farley

Did the gabapentin work for your son? Have seen a couple of people with shingles they did not look very comfortable. From my understanding it can flare up at times. I guess that's why some people get a vaccination for it.

The head casket went on our 2009 Subaru Impreza today, I wonder if gabapentin will fix that LOL, I know a few thousand dollars will.
Feel your pain on the head gasket, especially a 2009. Harley Farley's 2004 Honda Civic is starting to leak a little oil around the gasket and with a repair bill like that, you don't know whether you should go ahead and fix it or just junk it. My wife wants a new car, so she's hoping the thing will blow. :p

The gabapentin did work for my son, pretty well actually, recommended to him by Harley Farley the RN. When his flared up, his eyes swelled, it was itchy/painful and he was in a world of shit.

Gabapentin worked for him.

oldmaninbc

Feel your pain on the head gasket, especially a 2009. Harley Farley's 2004 Honda Civic is starting to leak a little oil around the gasket and with a repair bill like that, you don't know whether you should go ahead and fix it or just junk it. My wife wants a new car, so she's hoping the thing will blow. :p

The gabapentin did work for my son, pretty well actually, recommended to him by Harley Farley the RN. When his flared up, his eyes swelled, it was itchy/painful and he was in a world of shit.

Gabapentin worked for him.
That's good news for your son that gabapentin was able to help with the ugly nature of shingles, around the eyes must be terrible and very irritating.

Our 2009 Subaru Impreza has low miles and the body is in very good condition. My spouse was in head on with a deer last year. Vehicle insurance is through the provincial government and they decided the vehicle was worth replacing many body parts from the windshield forward, hood, fenders, bumper, lights etc. It cost thousands of dollars. We had a new timing belt and associated parts replaced this past fall.
Living in the mountains means winter driving can be dangerous, the all wheel drive is perfect for these conditions. So I think we will spend the money to repair it. The cost will be between two and three thousand. I am just grateful we have the money.

CharlesU Farley

That's good news for your son that gabapentin was able to help with the ugly nature of shingles, around the eyes must be terrible and very irritating.

Our 2009 Subaru Impreza has low miles and the body is in very good condition. My spouse was in head on with a deer last year. Vehicle insurance is through the provincial government and they decided the vehicle was worth replacing many body parts from the windshield forward, hood, fenders, bumper, lights etc. It cost thousands of dollars. We had a new timing belt and associated parts replaced this past fall.
Living in the mountains means winter driving can be dangerous, the all wheel drive is perfect for these conditions. So I think we will spend the money to repair it. The cost will be between two and three thousand. I am just grateful we have the money.
Got a Xterra 4x4 too. Like you, I'm up in the mountains, so we got to have that just so we don't get stuck down off the mountain, away from the house. Hear what you're saying about the cost but Subarus are damn fine cars.

Latest posts

Latest posts