What's new

oops... time for a new pH meter, suggestions?

B

Baron Greenback

The Milwaukee single meter pen type have worked quite well for me. The only thing is they test to 2 decimal places but only measure to one!
They calibrate quickly and seem to deliver accurate readings, although it is sometimes difficult to get hold of the calibration solution as it's 12.some odd rather than the usual 1.412 (or is that pi :).
Hanna ones seem ok at the cheaper end, buy the most expensive you can afford I guess.

HarvestMoon303

I have the Hanna dual (model number ends in 9, I think.. it's black)

I think that I picked it up for under $100 USD, and it's been great. I also am an advocate of the drops as a backup, and I am just about to go through the cleaning of the Hanna, then new storage solution and calibration solutions. It takes about 15 mins, and I do it about once ever six weeks ($20 in supplies or so).

The drops were like $4, but make sure to compare the colors somewhere other than under a crazy light (HPS, LED, etc). The colors really look different under something like sunlight... and yeah, it wouldn't work that well if you can't see the colors, but it's a sweet backup and you can take a photo and send it to a friend to tell you what matches in an emergency (or ICforums).

:)

Apache Kush

BLUELAB BLUELAB BLUELAB

Also if your in the market for a ppm meter the BlueLab Truncheen is the only way to go. 10-20$ more than your average ppm meter (that you have to calibrate all the time) and you NEVER have to calibrate. Waterproof. And gives you a scale reading of every ppm scale chart like 500ppm, 750ppm, etc etc. So no more looking up to see what ppm meter you have anymore.

BLUELAB Trucheen ... my fav, the big stick one is the Trucheen. Pros- looks cool- works good- gets dirty

However I would also run the GH drops as a back up and to confirm accuracy

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Anyone else calibrate the Bluelab pH probe (not pen) in the screw on storage container?

I tested it a few times and it gives the same result as calibrating in a larger cup. Really tickles my Jewish bones to use 5ml of solution per read, instead of 30-40.

Yeah, I know I'm saving near useless pennies, but I love it :D I calibrate frequently and it's cut down on waste.

Unclecrash

Anyone else calibrate the Bluelab pH probe (not pen) in the screw on storage container?

I tested it a few times and it gives the same result as calibrating in a larger cup. Really tickles my Jewish bones to use 5ml of solution per read, instead of 30-40.

Yeah, I know I'm saving near useless pennies, but I love it :D I calibrate frequently and it's cut down on waste.

LOL Im so cheap I hit the dollar store picked up a sleeve of the small, I call them (medicine cups) then ad about 5ml to one and then I lean it on its side to get the pen to submerge as deep as I can in it. :biggrin:

onavelzy

Veteran
So ya my pH pen is way off. Found that out quick with the old school drop tester. I have a hard time reading the colors tho. Can anyone suggest a good way to match up the colors?

glitter, problems with color matching may be due to color blindness. I learned i had that when i was in the military. i had to take a physical exam to re-enlist to try to be a helicopter pilot. I was getting all 1's or max scores until i did that test with the colored circles hiding the numbers. i could only get two of them. i started sweating because i knew something was badly wrong. no helicopter pilot school for me.

I also found it affected me when i was taking chemistry in school. In a lab project, we had to add base to an acid solution until it hit a certain pH. once it hit that pH it would turn pink and we were supposed to stop adding the base. i kept failing to see the pink and would add to much alkali, much to my lab mates chagrin.

try this online test for color blindness. it mainly checks for red-green but i think thats the type that is most common (roughly 7% of males in US). color blindness is an x linked recessive, so it is mostly seen in males

Last edited:

V_MAN

Some people think the best option is the drops, I like to use the drops and the electric meters. I use a growlush ph meter :)

I

Irish_traveller

i bought a bluelab ph meter its fecked already..and it cost me £130 quid hydro shop said its
£50 for a new probe..so i went out and bought 2 x gh ph drop kits £10 for a thousand tests..

I

Irish_traveller

Does that do just ph or ppm too. How long have you been using this meter? Im in the market I like the floating probe so you can sit it down next to a bucket or res.

Edit : does it show battery power tolet you know when to change it out?

hey unclecrash this is just a ph meter,it dosent have a low battery
indicator,but it does have an indicator to let you no when to calibrate it again,i will buy a new probe when i have some spare cash

Unclecrash

Bluelab Gaurdian EBay

Bluelab Gaurdian EBay

OK thanks Im really wanting to pull the trigger on the gaurdian setup. Anyone know of a good reputable dealer on ebay who might warranty it also. One other thing wondering can you dunk the whole probe in a tub, is it water proof all the way up onto the wire I would thing so. Reason I ask I see they have suction cups and thought maybe they wernt suppose to go in past a certain point.

I

Irish_traveller

OK thanks Im really wanting to pull the trigger on the gaurdian setup. Anyone know of a good reputable dealer on ebay who might warranty it also.

the bluelab Gaurdian looks amazing..i no guys who have been using
the bluelab combo for years

Latest posts

Latest posts