What's new

ooh no.. portable ac having issues advice appreciated.

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
in the vid on my DVD that came with my hydrogens, it says that you can either purchase all the pvs fittings and stuff from them....or you can go on their website and they give you a shopping list to get the stuff at your local hardware store....so its really your choice...but the fact that they give you that option to build it yourself is real nice of them...

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
Yep, I read the online reviews before I went shopping. I put an 11,000 btu fridgidaire in a 95 degree grow with 2K running, and it cooled that room down. Now I am using it to cool me down for summer. Also, even in full flower and harvest, I could not smell herb outside, but do not rely on my old nose, but I did check it. The unit you got has bad review, they all do except fridge.
H

what the

in the vid on my DVD that came with my hydrogens, it says that you can either purchase all the pvs fittings and stuff from them....or you can go on their website and they give you a shopping list to get the stuff at your local hardware store....so its really your choice...but the fact that they give you that option to build it yourself is real nice of them...
They ought to be nice considering the margins on their gear. That place is REALLY expensive.

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
339$ for a water-cooled co2 gen is a very good price....ive seen many non-watercooled gens for much much more.....

Snagglepuss

even
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I had the same thing happen with a portable 10,000 unit i got.I took the thing right back .Kept shutting off..I was trying to cool a 12x12 room with 1 600...It didn't cool for shit .especially in the summer time when it was about 95 degrees in their.

Bought another portable unit.I built a box 5x5 the exaust goes into the wall,the air intake on the backside is exposed to the room temps,but the body of the unit is enclosed with the 5x5 space that is cooled ... The room stays about 95 degrees ,with 3 flouro's running...It keeps chugging along...I think u prob either got a bad unit,or more likely you need to isolate the body of the unit ,and keep it cool somehow..It will keep running.If its a really big space ,good luck...The one i bought is a Haier...

rogerw

I have a 12 by 20 in a dry hot area and can tell you that the only way to cool on the cheap side is insulate the place real good and go with window air. like a 10,00 and a 5 to 6000 but units. I have found out that 2 are much better that 1 big 1. and cheaper. I also put a jug of ONA under the unit so the exaust is not as bad. Hey it works for me it should work for you

Yes most companies just ship directly from the manufacturer. I would also like to make to specs myself so thats kewl:)

here ya go i even found it...they even got lowes part numbers so you can go to lowes and order everything by number,

http://www.hydroinnovations.com/pdf/manifoldManual.pdf

not bad at all:)

I second this.
Also dont bother with water cooling unless you know what you are getting into. Unless its set up right and you choose the right chiller its not gonna work.
Buy a fridgedare

I wasent going to bother with water cooling anytime soon now if I had more money that would be a different story and I have been looking into a frigidaire window unit since I plan on constructing a 6x6space within, but low on funds and been a bit lazy ill get around to it sooner or later:)

Yep, I read the online reviews before I went shopping. I put an 11,000 btu fridgidaire in a 95 degree grow with 2K running, and it cooled that room down. Now I am using it to cool me down for summer. Also, even in full flower and harvest, I could not smell herb outside, but do not rely on my old nose, but I did check it. The unit you got has bad review, they all do except fridge.
H

If u dont mind me asking what model is it? And yeah when I was looking on the net for help with my unit and I keeped getting links to bad reviews etc:)

They ought to be nice considering the margins on their gear. That place is REALLY expensive.

Yeah I guess thats the cost of quality. Someones gotta make their money:)

I had the same thing happen with a portable 10,000 unit i got.I took the thing right back .Kept shutting off..I was trying to cool a 12x12 room with 1 600...It didn't cool for shit .especially in the summer time when it was about 95 degrees in their.

Bought another portable unit.I built a box 5x5 the exaust goes into the wall,the air intake on the backside is exposed to the room temps,but the body of the unit is enclosed with the 5x5 space that is cooled ... The room stays about 95 degrees ,with 3 flouro's running...It keeps chugging along...I think u prob either got a bad unit,or more likely you need to isolate the body of the unit ,and keep it cool somehow..It will keep running.If its a really big space ,good luck...The one i bought is a Haier...

Well my plan is build a sealed enclosure within the garage 6x6 ft space and then I will be able to mount a window ac in the new wall. But untill then Im trying not to spend any more money until the current run is done and I agree portables suck:)

I have a 12 by 20 in a dry hot area and can tell you that the only way to cool on the cheap side is insulate the place real good and go with window air. like a 10,00 and a 5 to 6000 but units. I have found out that 2 are much better that 1 big 1. and cheaper. I also put a jug of ONA under the unit so the exaust is not as bad. Hey it works for me it should work for you

I will insulate my 6x6 space and mount a window ac sooner or later read above post thnx:)

Numboard

If you have good hoods ventilation and keep your balasts outside the grow room i think the 5000btu will keep it reasonable cool

Hydropimp

Veteran
If you make 6x6 space inside your garage and put the window banger in one of the walls you will still have to battle temp in the garage.

To all following this thread I went the store with intensions of cashing out but I thought then ill have to drive around town research to find a dif unit and was lazy so I gave it one more chance and got a new unit same one. To my amazment it appears to work like its suppose to I also keep the compressor area on the bottom very cool with 4in dayton fans. It stays on longer but still evently shuts off. Its brought temps into the mid 80F but I need cold dammit so I will still be constructing the 6X6 room w/ window ac. Since I got the hook up on lumber all I really have to do is lay down the cash for a window unit. This unit still sucks but ill keep it around untill my space within a space is built:)

If you have good hoods ventilation and keep your balasts outside the grow room i think the 5000btu will keep it reasonable cool

Yeah thats what im thinkin but I will still get a 10000btu just to be safe only a lil bit more:)

If you make 6x6 space inside your garage and put the window banger in one of the walls you will still have to battle temp in the garage.

Well in a way your right but it will be a hella alot better than what im doing now I feel confindent ill be able to control temps to where its decently cool. Not only will I have a window ac I got dozens of old dayton squirrel cage fans to work in my favor and some cash to buy inline fans etc. I currently got the frame cut just waitin to be put up. But if you see any problems that I might run into just let me know since this is a first in this kind of hot un cooled space. Usally I just set up in the house but that is not a option:)

Tweexican

Maybe spend some extra $$$$ on insulating your garage to hold colder temps.

In mycology we use swamp coolers to grow in hot areas. They're great and affordable.

DevilWeed

The room within the garage definitely sounds like your best bet.

Quick note on window A/C's. I just bought 2 Frigidaires and 1 LG. Lowes has the Frigidaire and HD caries LG. The Frigidaires leak light insanely bad. There is no partition other than styrofoam in between the inside and outside sections of the unit. I spent hours completely disasembling one and got it almost completely sealed, but there are still a couple pin holes I need to fix. The LG's on the other hand have a heavy plastic shield which blocks almost all light right out of the box. I'm working with the 10000 and up so not positive it's the same for the little ones.

AOD2012

I have the key, now i need to find the lock..
Veteran
yea even the dual exhaust ones suck. i got one for this run and it dumped stinky ass air out side and also sucked all the c02 as well. bought a window ac and am just going to build a box for it this time.

Update Im still constructing my space within a space and have no window unit yet... Ive been keeping my new ac unit nice and cool with 170cfm fans put in on blocks for better airflow and even brought ice blocks in but the ice really didnt do much felt good for me though. Temps not getting over 90 so thats good but still cant bring it down really cold where I want it anyways ill make do untill my room is built. Thanks everybody for you help and input really gave me some idea's peace:wave:

And I also wanted to throw out a good review on Vornado they make some quality fans a bit pricey but great air circulators. I managed to pick up two 723's used off CL for quarter of retail price:headbange and they still perform as if new.

http://www.vornado.com/Default.aspx

Maybe spend some extra $$$$ on insulating your garage to hold colder temps.

In mycology we use swamp coolers to grow in hot areas. They're great and affordable.

Was thinking that but the cost to insulate the whole garage verse the degrees lowered arnt worth it but ill will be insulating the 6x6
isnt a window ac or portable same as a swamp cooler:)

:bump::bump::bump::bump:

The room within the garage definitely sounds like your best bet.

Quick note on window A/C's. I just bought 2 Frigidaires and 1 LG. Lowes has the Frigidaire and HD caries LG. The Frigidaires leak light insanely bad. There is no partition other than styrofoam in between the inside and outside sections of the unit. I spent hours completely disasembling one and got it almost completely sealed, but there are still a couple pin holes I need to fix. The LG's on the other hand have a heavy plastic shield which blocks almost all light right out of the box. I'm working with the 10000 and up so not positive it's the same for the little ones.

Thanks for the tip bro that will safe me. I also prefer HD because they have slighty better prices:)

yea even the dual exhaust ones suck. i got one for this run and it dumped stinky ass air out side and also sucked all the c02 as well. bought a window ac and am just going to build a box for it this time.

Dam that kinda sucks good luck on ur box. What model ac did you have?:)

AOD2012

I have the key, now i need to find the lock..
Veteran
i had an edgestar 14000btu, cooling two 600 watters, a dehumidifier, and all the other equipment. it uses so much electricity because it has to stay on all day, even at night because of the dehumidifier. i just got an lg 8000 btu window ac, with the little switch to close the vent so it just recirculates the air, fixing the smell problem and also no more losing c02. got clones rooting for the next grow, so i have another week or two to fix the room up. hope everything works out bro, keep us updated.

Natagonnaworrie

If you love life, don't waste time. For time is wh
Veteran
yeah, you have to go with a window unit if you're rocking CO2.

...If the AC is in the same room that is. I am thinking of buying this unit to cool my lung room.

That's is the room that the air is pulled from to cool the light (then out the window) and a small 4" booster fan mixes cool room air with my 1600 PPM CO2.

http://www.frigidaire.com/products/...iers/air-conditioners-dehumidifiers/fra09ept1

You guys seem to like the frididaire so lets give it a shot.

...plus i like the name.

9,000btu, almost $400. Room is 14 x 14 ish but the tent is only a little 4'x 4' (with 1000w HPS in it). I just need to cool the room from maybe 90 to 78.