What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Onyx Tent Grow

skullznroses

that aint nothing but 10 cent lovin
Veteran
Greetings-

Wanted to throw something out there. Thought it might be good to have some of my own stuff to refer to, and to entertain. This is a thread relating to a tent grow.

Tent: Mothership- 20"x48"x48" tall
Lights: Sunleaves 4 bulb T5
2 homemade cfl setups @ $6.50 each- 46 watts per ( 2 2700k & 2 6500K)
Medium: 12 Pro-mix, 3 perlite, 3 vermiculite, dried cow manure, with original seabird, and cave bat guanos.
Grow bags are 2 gallons
Seeds: 9 Onyx (1 didn't pop, it was small),, w/ a few others getting ready for summer(Church, Trainwreck, White Widow)
Fertilizer: Age Old Organics Grow & Bloom & Kelp & homemade tea

Im hoping to put them under my LEd which is 120w once they sex. Going to seed a few branches if I can, although I have never tried this. I just grew some HBD to test setup and AFs in general. It turned out fine, I got a few big nugs and now Im doing to full on with bigger pots and the gist of the AF. Im hoping these Onyx are big and bad. Would be nice to add an extra early OD harvest with seeds if it all goes well.

Check it out. The bigger plants are the non-AFs. The church is biggest and oldest. The nine Onyx are all about the same size, although half look a little bigger and are growing faster, which I think are the males.

skullznroses

Veteran
Update- Male found, growing well

Update- Male found, growing well

plants are chillen, and looking good. Waiting until the end of the day for a watering,, as I soaked them three days ago with a mild tea I made.

Have found the first male of the group and moved him to a different location. The single plant in the pictures is the male, and as I suspected he was one of the early growers, the biggest seedling of them all.

Here are the other 8 at about 2 weeks under T5s

20/4

Marijuana Enthusiast
Veteran
I love me some onyx! They tend to get MONSTROUS given the right conditions, cant wait to see how these turn out.. best of luck mate!

skullznroses

Veteran
3 guys walk into a bar

3 guys walk into a bar

Thanks guys, thats why I got this strain. I have found 3 males now out of the 9. Im hoping that is it, since I only really need one. They are getting their teeth into the soil now, and I expect them to start to grow fast now.

Heres the biggest non male (could be a dude)

heres the bunch under the sunleaves t5s

heres the first boy with his gonads showing

Anybody have advice about when this little guy will be ready to donate?? :bump:

Muddy

Start em on mild veg nutes at around 2 - 2.5 weeks, gradually up to full strength and continue through week 6. You should see explosive growth during that time, as much as an inch a day. I've got 6 going right now. Harvested the first two yesterday and the others should be ready by the end of the week.

What brand LED are you using?

skullznroses

Veteran
Patterns in Sexing

Patterns in Sexing

:blowbubbles:Thanks Muddy, my basic plan, but good to hear it is the right move with Onyx. What kind of ferts did you use? ...my LED is a 120 watter I got off of ebay... guy is from Houston. Some crap from China like most of them, but its bright and worked just fine the first time I flowered with it.

So I just looked in the tent, and the fourth male has shown his sex. 4/9 males so far, and I think that will be it. There was a noticeable difference in the seedlings from day 3. Half were growing taller faster, and the other half were darker green and more squat. The fast growers all turned out to be males. In almost every case when I have used regular seeds this is the case. The males are always the biggest and lankiest of the group, and even before sex you should be able to tell who is who. It makes sense, the males that have the most sex and are the dominant breeder generation after generation is the guy who can get it up the fastest and the highest. Basically the male needs to get above the others so that the wind will spread his pollen the most and the farthest.
:trampoline:

Muddy

Was just curious on the LED. I'm using a GrowLEDHydro 180 watt in one of my two areas. Love it.

I'm using Better-Gro Orchid Bloom Booster on mine right now. Have tried other things but keep coming back to it. Relatively inexpensive, available locally and does a real good job.

I noticed the same thing a couple years ago with auto males. Usually the biggest ones in veg turn out to the males. There have been a couple exceptions but that's generally been the case.

Muddy

I'm not a fan of 1 watt LEDs because of their lack of penetration, but give it a try and see how it does before investing in a second one.

skullznroses

Veteran
LED bedroom report

LED bedroom report

Muddy-
So what do you say? I think they come in 3 watt and 5watt perhaps? Give me the sell on yours, because I just got this one to see how LEDs do. I think they do okay considering they are pretty low watt. Watt per watt they compare, and given my circumstances... this is my bedroom!... it is much more gentle on my environment in terms of buzz. I hated the buzz of my regular 400watt ballast in the background. So that will only be used on another floor then my bedroom.

Regardless, the big main cola HBD I grew under it was dank, even though I didn't quite hit my stride first try with the Autos. I overfed slightly, and just didn't know what to expect size wise. The lowest part of the bud that was under the fan leaves didn't darken correctly. It was a little albino looking. I think I read somebody saying they laid fresh cut bud under the light for a few days to correct for this, but Im not selling so I don't care that much. I've grown enough that I do try to limit the busy work involved.

Cheers. Happy smoking...:groupwave::

skullznroses

Veteran
That Orchid Booster looks interesting. I have never seen it before. Its strong. What strength do you use it at?

skullznroses

Veteran
Almost three weeks

Almost three weeks

The plants are almost at 3 weeks. I have just fed them their first dose of full strength Age Old Organics liquid grow. The four males are chillen in the boys room with a few clones. I have four, but I think I will just pick one. Might kill the other three soon to make more room. The five girls are doing great. Now that the boys are out there is full room under t5 ballast. Im also thinking of switching them to the 120watt red spectrum LED I have soon. They all have the tinest hint of hairs showing... Im thinking one more week under cool spectrum t5 fluoros.

Give me some feedback!

Here is a boy that got bitten by my boy cat, he loves weed too.

Heres the males group

Here are the females individually

Group Shot- Enjoy:smoke:

Muddy

Here's the one I'm using: http://growledhydro.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=2. It was specifically engineered for growing weed. Ten targeted bands providing 95% usable light. Penetration is 36" so the light will reach all the way to the bottom of the plants. More expensive but it does have a 5 year warranty. Mine isn't even a year old and it's recently been updated. New one uses a combo of 2 and 3 watt LEDs. I've very happy with it. I've finished two grows and the results have been beyond what I expected. Compared to what I've seen from the 1 watters it's far exceeded their yields.

Muddy-
So what do you say? I think they come in 3 watt and 5watt perhaps? Give me the sell on yours, because I just got this one to see how LEDs do. I think they do okay considering they are pretty low watt. Watt per watt they compare, and given my circumstances... this is my bedroom!... it is much more gentle on my environment in terms of buzz. I hated the buzz of my regular 400watt ballast in the background. So that will only be used on another floor then my bedroom.

Regardless, the big main cola HBD I grew under it was dank, even though I didn't quite hit my stride first try with the Autos. I overfed slightly, and just didn't know what to expect size wise. The lowest part of the bud that was under the fan leaves didn't darken correctly. It was a little albino looking. I think I read somebody saying they laid fresh cut bud under the light for a few days to correct for this, but Im not selling so I don't care that much. I've grown enough that I do try to limit the busy work involved.

Cheers. Happy smoking...:groupwave::

Muddy

I've been using it at half strength, 1/2 teaspoon per gallon. I started using it outdoors last summer on my full sized plants and got very good yields. Since then I've used it indoors and the results have been equally impressive.

That Orchid Booster looks interesting. I have never seen it before. Its strong. What strength do you use it at?

Claude Hopper

Old Skool Rulz
Veteran
Your seedlings are beautiful!

I'm just starting on a LED trial, so I'll be keeping an eye on yours. I wish I'd have found this place years ago. This place is like The University of Cannabis.

skullznroses

Veteran
Your seedlings are beautiful!

I'm just starting on a LED trial, so I'll be keeping an eye on yours. I wish I'd have found this place years ago. This place is like The University of Cannabis.

Thanks dude, this is not my first grow, but I have been careful and precise with these babies since I cracked their seeds. Growing weed is 50% science and 50% good luck! This place is like Weed U,, kinda like some bands I know there is a little too much lead singer and not quite enough band around here. hahaha keep it easy.

Glad to share dude. Come on back real soon ya hear!

skullznroses

Veteran
I've been using it at half strength, 1/2 teaspoon per gallon. I started using it outdoors last summer on my full sized plants and got very good yields. Since then I've used it indoors and the results have been equally impressive.

I sold organic fertilizer for 2 years a while back, and I become a strick organic devotee. As time goes by though, I see the use of smart doses of high test (and Cheap) normal ferts as pretty attractive. The more I grow the less interested I am in spending 3 hours mixing the perfect dose of biohumanic triple organic super booster. Nor am I interested in the $150 per bottle shit that the guy at the hydro store tries to sell me. I mean if you ever saw a 1980s miracle grow ad on TV, you can't deny that 14 foot azaleas are pretty impressive!!

Good tip on a cheap product brother.

Muddy

I kind of feel the same way. The whole "organic" thing is kind of overblown. Does a plant really care if the nutrients it's getting are from an organic or non organic source? To me it's all good.

Orchid growers are pretty fanatic and apparently a lot of R&D went into developing these products for use on them. I'm also using their Orchid Plus for veg. Both are available at Lowes for about $5 a 1 lb. bag.

I sold organic fertilizer for 2 years a while back, and I become a strick organic devotee. As time goes by though, I see the use of smart doses of high test (and Cheap) normal ferts as pretty attractive. The more I grow the less interested I am in spending 3 hours mixing the perfect dose of biohumanic triple organic super booster. Nor am I interested in the $150 per bottle shit that the guy at the hydro store tries to sell me. I mean if you ever saw a 1980s miracle grow ad on TV, you can't deny that 14 foot azaleas are pretty impressive!!

Good tip on a cheap product brother.

skullznroses

Veteran
snow time

snow time

I have have been ripping some homemade bubblehash.. includes lemon skunk, super lemon haze and gravity sugar leaves. Super tight smoke, makes regular bud seem weak. Gotta be easy with it.:abduct:

I have a few photos now one day after feeding. All the AFs are loving it. One of my plants, a fem seed Church (INDICA/sativa)), which I have taken a bunch of clones from recently didn't love it so much. Glad I was using less then full dosage. The plant will be fine after a good flush tonight with fresh aerated water. It is also in the smallest bag I am using, but I am glad to keep it in the small sack so I can observe the capacity of the half gallon gro bag I am using. In under the T5s with the smaller Afs is an INDICA/sativa La BLanca freebie seed. I topped it when it was small and it is starting to really get bushy. It looks like it would make a great bushy type plant with short internodes. A good yeilder if you put in the time with it probably. I may give a clone to a friend to keep for me and see if it is worth a focus.

Onyx News: The 5 females are doing great. Still under gro spectrum T5s. Males are getting tall and I think I will lay something down to start to see if any pollen is falling.

ONYX females

Onyx males

The Church, needing a drink

The other plants I have Trainwreck and White Whidow, AMS..

A ski vacation picture from the Northeast! Its snowy up there.

Latest posts

Latest posts