What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Only male plant

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'd try and source more of the same seed, if possible, and pollinate a female.
Barring that, reverse the dude and make ya some beans.

Seem like as awesome opportunity to get some hands on experience.

ahortator

Veteran
I’ll take your word for it. But none of those posts document anyone producing seeds and then germing them to determine viability.

At the very least, the YY seeds are very likely not viable. In practically all species with XY sex chromosomes, the presence of an X chromosome is necessary to remain viable. There are often many necessary genes for survival unrelated to sex determination found on the X chromosome.

They are viable.

A few years ago a friend gave me 3 seeds. Only one sprouted and it was a male.

At that time I was thinking about doing exactly the opposite that people do to get feminized seeds, in order to get regular seeds from only one male to recover an endangered strain or very rare seeds you cannot source again, such as only one seed recovered from a spliff smoked by Bob Marley in a concert and kept by a fan as a sacred relic, or a handfull Acapulco Gold or Santa Marta Gold seeds from the heyday era found inside a Janis Joplin, Jefferson Airplane or Strawberry Alarm Clock vinyl record cover :D If only one sprouts and it is a female you can simply keep mothers and cuttings. But what would happen if only one seed sprouts and it finally becomes a male? Most people directly reject males even from very wonderful and rare strains. Usually such things finish hybridized with any horrible awful stinking Kush they have already growing. In an attempt to keep the real strain alive you could make many backcrossings or...!

I had the male, so I tried to change the sex with ripe bananas and a plastic bag. And it worked! Sadly most seedbanks call their strains by names unrelated with the genetics, at least the genetics in this one were not exactly what they told. That male had Skunk/Afghan smell and I am only interested in the purest cleanest sativas, so I didn't bother to sow those seeds. I gave some to the friend who gave the seeds originally. He only wanted to sprout one as he did and he got a nice female.

All I can tell you is you can try yourself. It is not complicated nor dangerous. I must say I have done it only with ripe bananas and sometimes it fails, as in the pic I posted above.

Latest posts

Latest posts