What's new

only for the experts!!!

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
When new in chat and having your first discussion it will work out better if you dont call the locals fools. I wasnt there but did see the log. Just try to take a bit more respectful approach to disagreements and I think you will see they are a pretty good group.

U

ureapwhatusow

the funniest part about all these pot arguments is how adamant ppl are about their opinions

All I can comment on is what i experienced

and in my experience the most important factor in growing good pot is genetics

all the very best grower can do is provide optimal conditions for a plant to grow and produce resin

How much it can produce in an optimal environment is geneticaly coded

thus ureapwhatusow

i do know that there is not a real answer to this question, so i will just add a little story. My friend and I grow the same clones, however we use different soils, different ferts, different lights, have a different environment, different cure technique......the finished products are DIFFERENT..... to the point of when i get accustomed to the smoke of mine we trade and the new smoke from same clone will deliver a buzz different enough to get you skipp'n again......you can effect so much difference just in the finishing, and curing......i have smoked excellent genetics that was harsh and smelled of cut grass and i have smoked bag seed that was an absolute pleasure for the senses....i would say that grower influence is about 50% of the final experience....

complete conjecture, but i think that is what you were looking for...

PrinceOfPersia

Its a combination no doubt!

u cant say its fifty/fifty or higher or less..

What it is, is that u can have the best genetics and still get shitty result's if u dont know what ure doing and same way around.

But a good grower always has the touch.
One can bring out flavours mid growers never can achieve, yields better than what the average grower achieve and so on and so on.

Ive smoked iranian landrace that will wreck/fuck/punch the fuck outta ya, and after all that, in the end, make u smile. I recon the landrace thing! for sure.

Look at it this way.
A healthy man goes to the shitty doctor, the doctor fucks him up and he is fucked.
A Sick man goes to a good doctor, the good doctor got the right way to treat it and will. The sick man gets happy in the end.

Good question you made for sure.

there's no final conclusion :)

Last edited:
B

B. Self Reliant

All a grower can do is provide the optimal conditions so a plant can do what it is programmed to do. The grower has no power to determine what the plant is programmed to produce.

Good genetics don't grow themselves. I've smoked bud from numerous "elite" clone-only strains in CA that was total shit because the grower didn't provide the plant with it's basic needs.

There's no answer to a question like this and you don't have to be an "expert" to know it. The important thing to most growers is producing grade A bud for head and/or sale. So, get the best genetics you can and provide the best environment you can.

and the truth comes out!!!!! try to make some schwagg seeds dank in just 1-2 generations not happening!!!!!!! genetics have everything to do with potencey enviorment has the least case closed in my book. oh and babba i only called them fools as a defense the others were real harsh on they're choice of words to.

DIH419

In my experience, the less stable the hybrid, the more likelyhood of variation from one enviroment/growroom to the next. Stable strains are more consistant when gifting them to friends to grow.

DIH419

.. same goes for genetic mutations from one clone generation to the next. The more stable strains can generally be cloned 20+ clone gens with little to no variation.

killa-bud

Veteran
genitics,

in the same envorment,two diffrent strains,won't be the same....so obviously genitics play a pretty big role in determaining the final product...

in a poor enviroment a strain no matter how good,won't produce as much,in terms of yeild,but i bet (assuming it wasn't taking early) it would be no less potent then one grown perfectly....

Country Mon

IMO it's all about the genes. Once you eliminate all problems in your grow environment and become systematic, ALL plants will reach their full genetic potential and can be evaluated honestly. Sometimes certain individuals will react a bit differently than the group, but not to the point where you are going to get great shizzle from schwag. Schwag is schwag; it's genetic.

That said, just because a strain is 'famous' does not mean you will automatically get those great genes when you buy the seeds. Even if they come in the fancy breeder pack. I've had terrible results from some ffing expensive-ass legendary cup-winning seeds, and all I can think is that either some other parent was 'accidentally' used for pollination, or those seeds I got were actually something else entirely. The genes I got were definitely NOT what other people described; that much I know.

In my own scene my Ruby Slipper is an example of genetic superiority to me. I always use the same reversed female to pollinate, and likewise the same target female EVERY TIME seeds are made. And it is the first hybrid I have ever produced where every single seed grown out has been both commercial in weight and connoisseur in quality. Flavor/smell, resin, potency, mold resistance and finishing time are all built in.

In all honesty I was lucky. It has no bearing on my "breeding talent"; it was just a very lucky genetic pairing. I'm going to be turning Ruby Slipper loose on the medical community this summer, so grab a clone if you see it. I don't sell seeds. I'm working on a follow-up using a beautiful traditional male (a Diamond Head); that one looks very promising and I call it "Gemstone".

Anyway. Once you have your environment completely nailed down and have grown out 50 or more successful crops, it becomes hard to ignore that finding great individuals is really about what's in the genepool. Each strain has it's own "genetic potential", and if that potential is not good, no environment is going to improve it.

After deciding a strain has potential in the trial run, I'd emphasize the importance of growing out multiple individuals, as many as possible, to find the best one. F2s can show added variations that the initial F1 run didn't. It can be really fun to explore that pool for individuals that express as many favorable traits as possible.

CM

Country Mon

.. same goes for genetic mutations from one clone generation to the next. The more stable strains can generally be cloned 20+ clone gens with little to no variation.

Huh?

The myth apparently lives on. There is no genetic variation in any given cloned individual, after 2, 20 ,200, or even 2000 cloned generations. A clone is a clone. Period.

Genetic mutations in cannabis clones are very very rare, and usually result from virii. FWIW, this isn't my opinion; it's a physiological fact.

You maybe need to do some basic reading about this.

CM

PazVerdeRadical

all praises are due to the Most High
Veteran
qanabose and levant understand well the relationship between genetics and environment.

the original question is flawed, this is why it cannot be answered well, because to answer it well is to change the question basically...

the question is rather: what is the environment in which the fullest genetic potential of x or y strain will develop?

once you clear the confusion, you will see.

Paz.

Latest posts

Latest posts