What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ONETIME64 OUTDOOR ADVENTURE 2010

onetime64

You can make pretty big hoop houses for really cheap... like you could build a 15x100 for maybe 200-300 in pvc and rebar. compared to 1,000sssss from farmtek.... you make 2 15x100 for a total 30 x100 for under 1500 with plastic.....

localhero

really. so all i would need is pea gravel, pvc, rebar, duct tape, plastic sheeting and some wood to frame the base? i could easily frame a door in the front. do you use 20' 3/4" pvc, or one inch?

whats the advantage to using greenhouse plastic over home depot plastic sheeting?

nomaad

Veteran
you'll want to frame out both ends... proper UV treated greenhouse film or woven GH fabric will last a lot longer.

onetime64

i am using 3/4pvc this year... i have built other hoops houses in the past and i would reccommend these things... use 1in min up to 2in for a ong term strong hoop house.... i once bought2 sliding glass doors at a pick a part home place... for like 250-300 and used them on a 15ft wide hoop house and it ws so nice we could slide the doors open and use the screens at the day and slide the glass closed at night..... when it got really hot we took box fans staked 2x2 in the door ways 4 blowing in one side and 4 blowing out the other side.... and it was great...... after seeing NOMADS hoops i would make 30 foot pvc 1 1/2 in and place on rebar at 15ft.... wide they would be 10-12ft tall..... you can use pvc to wrap the plastic on the long sides so u cna roll them up if you want...... back to the home depot plastic..... if your gonna make a LONG TERM GH i would PASS on the HD for 2 reasons... it wont last near as long as good greenhouse 4 yeart flim which last about 3.5years.... hd is a one year thing. maybe 2........also if you want to make a big hoop house like i am explaining you need to get greenhouse film cut to 32ft x 125 per hoop house..... next year i am going to make 2 or 3 of these hoops and plant inside them on 4/20 and use supp light and hot water ground heating....... atleast thats my goal... i plan to use a tractor and dig 4ft deep by 45ftx100ft ..... the ground is farm/garden area for 100 years and the soil is black gold.... i plan on laying gopher wire just as a base while i got the hole.... then i will put 2-3in drain rock.... i will lay 3in perfererated drain hose 3 runs at 100ft inside rock layer bringing to surface to allow for oxygen and air to reach the lower root zone ....... then i will layer about 55% native soil mixed with 15% sand 30% perlite and 10% amdnments...... once soil is mixed i will trench 12-18in and lay 1/2 hot pex hooked up to a instant hot water heater on propane..... on a t stat system keeping soil temps abou 65 at all times... i heard plants can handle 30 on the leaves if the roots stay above 55-60 its all good. so i think this idea will work bad ass.... also have some ideas using farmtek curtain system to make a easy black box tarp system so i cna tarp one of these hoops

localhero

thanks for the help guys!

onetime, man i totally feel the score on the sliding glass windows, i too love finding random used goodness. cant wait to get on photoshop after this post and start scheming.

ok the rock trenches, has that been done? i really dig that plan. i wonder if you have to choose the type of fill rock carefully not to overload some type of mineral in the root zone? sounds like a bottom fed smart pot.

to sum up: gopher wire along the sides, rock on bottom with three drain pipes running under each hoop house row, air feeder tubes surfacing at intervals along the 100' run. ammended native soil on top.

i wonder if it would help to t off the air feeder tubes to the drain pipe at one end and connect a 6" fan or something? would that be too much air? im thinking something to keep fresh air at the root zone. you think that would cause air pruning? maybe not if you dont plug the other end of the 100' run. or set a timer to the fan to exhaust dead air.

hmm, maybe the first layer of fill rock would be larger to allow an even air distribution and then a layer of smaller rock on top of that to prevent the ammendements from being leached out into that porous rock layer. or. run 100' lengths of weed block smart pot material on top of the porous air feeding rock layer. that would prevent roots from maybe overdosing on minerals off the rock.

i might ditch the smart pots next year too and was thinking of different trenching methods. luckily i dont think id need the hot water pex pipe, but ideas like yours make my day man.

ha, how about this: a yard filled 3 to 4 inches deep with white rock. smart pots sitting on top. instead of 18" deep smart pots, you could go with atleast 24" deep pots and get deeper roots with the benefit of air to the bottom of the smarty via rock layer. white rock in lieu of straw would also reflect sun.

T

Trinity Gold

I used this site to put my hoopers together. I have a 18 x 30 and 12 x 50...

www.hightunnels.org

Browse towards the For Growers section..lots of good reading.

onetime64

I LOVE THE IDEAS>>>>>
I have built a bed like i stated before.... we planted seed and clones inside a bed that was 12x24 we over planted and put 20 plants inside that small plot..... we had 15ft tall monsters put got about 1.25lbs a plant do to spacing everything was jammed jammed jammed.... i can tell you we had a 12x24ft giant root ball....... also roots were growing t the surface in the bed along as into the rock layer.... no fans for the tubes just natural air flow....

onetime64

WENT out today and got 4 plastic 20gal totes.... from HD for $4 each... gonna fill them tomorrow with a 60% perlite 40% happy frog mix... and plant in them.... also working on 3 more 3x3x2ft deep holes which will be filled with a 50% perlite 25%happy frog 25%native

onetime64

WENT out today and got 4 plastic 20gal totes.... from HD for $4 each... gonna fill them tomorrow with a 60% perlite 40% happy frog mix... and plant in them.... also working on 3 more 3x3x2ft deep holes which will be filled with a 50% perlite 25%happy frog 25%native

onetime64

IN THE CITY AND AT THE CUP>>>>>
TODAY WAS THE FIRST DAY EVERYTHING WAS PERKED UP AND STARTING TO GO GO GO ... CNAT WAIT TO GET BACK AND SEE WHAT THINGS LOOK LIKE MONDAY MORNING>>>>

S

Sir_Nugget

what is the purpose of the hoop house? stealth? wind? heat and critters? I really like how it is so cheap.. relative to how much you are able to pull.. how are the PVC pipes kept in the ground? do they run really deep or do you have a piece of cement attached to each end? growing under the sun is a blessing, u r blessed

nomaad

Veteran
what is the purpose of the hoop house? stealth? wind? heat and critters? I really like how it is so cheap.. relative to how much you are able to pull.. how are the PVC pipes kept in the ground? do they run really deep or do you have a piece of cement attached to each end? growing under the sun is a blessing, u r blessed

rebar stakes banged into the ground 2-4 feet do the trick for PVC support.

onetime64

UPDATE

UPDATE

SORRY BEEN TOO BUSY AROUND THE FARM AND OFF THE FARM....

compare to the older pics its a dream of mine come true ... thanks for all the help

P

painroad

Nice tress!!!! What are those white hoop looking things? Do you have a link for them?

Latest posts

Latest posts