What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

One third of budtenders hired in the last year already left their job: study

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
Nearly one third of Canadian cannabis retail employees hired over the last year already left their jobs and 24 per cent didn't even make it past their first month, a new study says.

The data from marijuana analytics firm Headset released Thursday shows 56 per cent of these employees, known as "budtenders," who worked at any point in the last 12 months have left their jobs.

The report covers workers in Alberta, Ontario, British Columbia and Saskatchewan between June 2021 and May 2022 — a period when cannabis businesses were carrying out layoffs and facing stiff competition as the number of pot shops soared during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Jennawae McLean, the co-founder of Calyx + Trichomes, a cannabis store chain in Kingston, Ont. said budtenders leave their jobs for a variety of reasons.

Many are drawn to the sector because they think cannabis has a "cool factor," but later realize the job can be as tedious and public-facing as other retail positions.

"It can sometimes feel like putting lipstick on a pig," McLean said.

"It's still retail at the end of the day. You still have to do customer service, and customer service is a very demanding job. Not everybody's cut out for customer service."

On top of the usual retail demands, cannabis workers also have to contend with additional regulations, checking customer identification and working in an environment that necessitates high security.

There could be numerous worker strikes in B.C. in the coming months

All of these factors compound with both new and old challenges seen across retailers, hospitality businesses and seasonal employers.

These sectors have long been known for high turnover and often attract students and other workers prone to swapping roles after shorter tenures.

"I don't think that people start working in retail and expect that they're going to retire there," said McLean.

Now, they're facing even more struggles when hiring new workers and trying to hang onto existing ones because the pandemic empowered people to seek more flexible jobs and roles where it is easier to work from home.

For every batch of 10 employees McLean hires, three stick around for a long time, but the remaining seven often leave after six months.

The Headset report said about seven per cent of Canadian budtenders hired between June 2021 and May 2022 quit during between their 30th and 59th day, six per cent departed between their 60th and 89th day and 10 per cent made it no further than 180 days.

Roughly seven per cent of people hired within that time frame left after the 180 day mark but before they reach one year and almost 46 per cent stayed.

The Headset report showed Alberta retailers tend to have slightly better retention among new employees, but lost a higher number of tenured employees than Ontario, British Columbia and Saskatchewan.

The report also offered a glimpse at how turnover in the four provinces studied compares to the U.S., where Headset examined patterns in Arizona, California, Colorado, Illinois, Massachusetts, Michigan, Nevada, Oregon and Washington pot shop workers.

It concluded Canada's 56 per cent turnover rate was one per cent higher than the U.S.'s.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/top...sedgntp&cvid=337a9b027fb640cf8488332c2c75b358

RMS

:smoweed:

Maple_Flail

well as a consumer, i've been saying for over a year the market is stagnate. yes new things are coming out but for the most part they hits all the same boxes that something that already hit just maybe at a slightly higher testing or lower testing for a slight variation in price.

the "CannSell" smart serve sort of thing is bull crap, it really handy caps what a bud tender is actually allowed to say. If your bud tender is constantly told you can't keep say thing these things etc etc, they are not gunna stick around.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
the "CannSell" smart serve sort of thing is bull crap, it really handy caps what a bud tender is actually allowed to say. If your bud tender is constantly told you can't keep say thing these things etc etc, they are not gunna stick around.
what is the cannsell thing
ive never heard of this

Ca++

I can imagine a situation where everyone is an expert. Even an easy sale could be complicated by another customer passing their expertise into the conversation. You don't get that in a bar, and few will complain their pint wasn't as strong as expected, or had the wrong effect. Or ask which whiskey is best for their gout. Just what is their job. It's not as simple as it seems.

Ca++

Hamburger? No.. they have gone up 30%. It's okay though. Even if there is no food, we will still have each other.

Maple_Flail

what is the cannsell thing
ive never heard of this

Ontario's 'certificate" for lack of better working Employee validity card. Can't work at a legal dispensary without one in ontario.

It is a Kin to Ontario's "smart serve" cert for bars and waitress.

governmental cash grab https://purchase.cannsell.ca/product?catalog=CannSell-Standard-Certification

basically curbs any health based recommendations for any ailments, cannot say for example "charlottes web works for seizures" saying that as a budtender at work (or potentially on social media) will get your written up if not more.
and it shows you how to identify someone that is "Too High" to be served...

outdoordreams

We should be talking about this at length.
Budtenders are an important part of the Cannabis industry. Also communication with the customers was a key factor to what made the Cannabis medicine for many people.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
This can actually be discussed at length.
We should be talking about this at length.
Budtenders are an important part of the Cannabis industry. Also communication with the customers was a key factor to what made the Cannabis medicine for many people.
so get the ball rolling
i dont know what qualifications a bud tender has to have to work in canada, but here in california it seems to be cute young girl is top of the list
so how does this add value to my purchase?
budtender is just like a lot of other entry level jobs, they suck and once you get over the "cool" factor its just another shitty job

/not saying all budtenders for sure, but im just trying to get the ball rolling here

outdoordreams

Ok now the ball is rolling…….now that in Canada it is legal let’s talk about the bud-tenders roll in the legal system.
I have been interviewing budtenders for the past few months to get an understanding of what their world is like.

To me the front line (budtenders) are the most important part of the industry. As a grower it’s my job to produce the best medicine as possible. But I can only do that with the direct feedback from the patients. This new system removes the feedback loop as well as presents many problems educating the consumers.
We need to find ways to bridge the gap of communication between consumers and farmers.

I like the direct delivery system in BC that is giving growers an opportunity to work more directly with Dispensaries.
I like to see community event that bring together budtenders and farmers.
I like that we are seeing more companies putting out real high quality products that budtenders can feel proud to recommend and gives them something to engage the customer with.
We need to start a national add campaign to educate people that thc % not what they are looking for…..lol

How do we fix these obstacles?
I believe we need to pay budtenders more.
We need to give them more tools.
We need to lobby the government to allow them to talk freely about cannabis as a medicine.
It’s funny countries around the world are legalizing for medical and are looking true canadian model, but Canada still does not accept it as a medicine.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
so you have talked to the budtenders are your local shop? whats their take
im actually interested in hearing what they think
i like the direct to comsure method, its the way ive rolled for my whole life
bringing together budtenders" and farmers? sounds like just a hook up
but who am i to make medical claims? if you want to pay budtenders big bux then need to bring more to the table, not just telling me this shit is stoney, yeah i like kush
more training would be a start
this is all very interesting @outdoordreams

outdoordreams

I’ve met some really dedicated budtender who love their jobs but are frustrated with what they can and cannot say. These are the ones that are bridging the gap of communication.

Met a kid today that had worked there for two years and could not give a fuck about his job.

Some dispensaries are corporate shit holes.
Other dispensaries are putting the time to educate their employees, and bring in the good micro products that are real medicine.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
I’ve met some really dedicated budtender who love their jobs but are frustrated with what they can and cannot say. These are the ones that are bridging the gap of communication.

Met a kid today that had worked there for two years and could not give a fuck about his job.

Some dispensaries are corporate shit holes.
Other dispensaries are putting the time to educate their employees, and bring in the good micro products that are real medicine.
thats the thing man, im no dr so i cant tell yuo this will cure all your ails
neither is the budtender
they are kind of limited in what they can say but from what limited exp ive had, they are selling what they have on hand and its all the dankx

Latest posts

Latest posts