What's new

ONE Killer A5 between the A5 S1 and sisters

THC123

Veteran
Good to hear, for what lamp did you swap it for? Nevermind I read the sf1000.

I also purchased an sf4000. Much less problems as wiht the fluence but still calmag all the time. These blurple leds are way more chill to grow with. Too bad they consume so much for the coverage they give. For me it is like growing with hps. But those white leds make the plants behave differently

OZZ_

Veteran
Good to hear, for what lamp did you swap it for? Nevermind I read the sf1000.

I also purchased an sf4000. Much less problems as wiht the fluence but still calmag all the time. These blurple leds are way more chill to grow with. Too bad they consume so much for the coverage they give. For me it is like growing with hps. But those white leds make the plants behave differently

Ya I swapped out to a SF1000. Things are going good so far but now I actually got around to calculating out my par and it looks like I’m only at around an average of 525 ppfd across the canopy. A little low I’m thinking. I looked at the par charts Before I bought it and at 12” it’s like mid 700’s in the center so I thought I’d be good if I just slammed the light on top of the canopy and trained well enough. As it sits though the KA5H starts complaining a bit at 12”. I currently have the light around 15” and that’s about where she wants it so That puts me around only 500-550 ppfd or 22-25 moles per day. Whereas max yield is around 900-1000 ppfd and 40 moles per day.

Long story short, Now I’m wondering if I should get a bigger light lmao. It is only 100 watts in the 2x2

What do you think?

THC123

Veteran
Yeah that is why I bought a sf4000. But that one is to big for your room. First I wanted to buy 4 sf1000. SO I could use them in the motherroom as well when a tent has downtime. But the output wasn't enough.

So you dont notice you have to feed them differently under that light? It seems they always need calmag here. If I skip one day bam yellowing and stripes. But the plants look good from far away. But when you get close you can see it.

This is sadly one of the better looking ones but still looks like shit.

picture.php

This is NLX an old clone from the south of holland

picture.php

This is another NLX. But more under the center of the lamp. I gave them a buffer tab 3 weeks ago, normally this keeps plants shny and healhty for 8 weeks. But this one is already difficient it is crazy. the plants on the sides look better.

I am going to try and dim it. At first I did not want to as I am vegging them at 300-350 ppfd which is good when not supplementing with co2 for veg. Under the blurples they look like healhty outdoor plants. Ad as you can see these are not happy. Underthe blurples they had the same ppfd.

I wonder if 350 ppfd of white led is not equal to 350 ppfd of blurple?? Why do they have problems under the white led at this low intensty and not under the blurple. Why can I put a small seedling directly under a 600 watt hps at 3-400 ppfd of even higher, why can i put a seedling in the sun at 2000 ppfd and why do these fucking white leds cause issues at low ppfds, I really wonder.

I still cant grow plants under white light like under the sun or HPS or blurple. And I am giving them epsom every watering, added lime, topdressed, foliar fed...I have now ordered calmag + with micronutrients.

Maybe the exact ratios in those bottles will solve it.

But normally lime, castings and rockdust are enough under any light. Never had to supplement. It is like they have troubles accessing the food. I ordered a ph meter but that cant be the problem because under any other lightspectrum they are super heallthy.

I said it before, they are efficient those light, but something is wrong with the spectrum. And yeah I have ordered supplements now like the other white led growers to try and solve it.

But I have never had to use these things in my life. I always use solid organics. Nothing I know or none of my experience helps with these leds.

So I really hope they also yield a LOT more if you have to feed and supplement like crazy. And I hope it wont fuck the taste up, because I am used to water and solids and one or two topdressings. But since I am not using liquid nutes I hope it will be okay.

There rant over!!!

OZZ_

Veteran
Yeah that is why I bought a sf4000. But that one is to big for your room. First I wanted to buy 4 sf1000. SO I could use them in the motherroom as well when a tent has downtime. But the output wasn't enough.

So you dont notice you have to feed them differently under that light? It seems they always need calmag here. If I skip one day bam yellowing and stripes. But the plants look good from far away. But when you get close you can see it.

This is sadly one of the better looking ones but still looks like shit.

View Image

This is NLX an old clone from the south of holland

View Image

This is another NLX. But more under the center of the lamp. I gave them a buffer tab 3 weeks ago, normally this keeps plants shny and healhty for 8 weeks. But this one is already difficient it is crazy. the plants on the sides look better.

I am going to try and dim it. At first I did not want to as I am vegging them at 300-350 ppfd which is good when not supplementing with co2 for veg. Under the blurples they look like healhty outdoor plants. Ad as you can see these are not happy. Underthe blurples they had the same ppfd.

I wonder if 350 ppfd of white led is not equal to 350 ppfd of blurple?? Why do they have problems under the white led at this low intensty and not under the blurple. Why can I put a small seedling directly under a 600 watt hps at 3-400 ppfd of even higher, why can i put a seedling in the sun at 2000 ppfd and why do these fucking white leds cause issues at low ppfds, I really wonder.

I still cant grow plants under white light like under the sun or HPS or blurple. And I am giving them epsom every watering, added lime, topdressed, foliar fed...I have now ordered calmag + with micronutrients.

Maybe the exact ratios in those bottles will solve it.

But normally lime, castings and rockdust are enough under any light. Never had to supplement. It is like they have troubles accessing the food. I ordered a ph meter but that cant be the problem because under any other lightspectrum they are super heallthy.

I said it before, they are efficient those light, but something is wrong with the spectrum. And yeah I have ordered supplements now like the other white led growers to try and solve it.

But I have never had to use these things in my life. I always use solid organics. Nothing I know or none of my experience helps with these leds.

So I really hope they also yield a LOT more if you have to feed and supplement like crazy. And I hope it wont fuck the taste up, because I am used to water and solids and one or two topdressings. But since I am not using liquid nutes I hope it will be okay.

There rant over!!!

Preach on brother! I share your exact sentiments and I am right in the middle of ironing it out as well. For this KA5H at least I think I have it handled .... as of now anyway. I transplanted her into a huge smart pot for the size of my tiny tent. 15 gallons with a base soil mix of 75/25 promix/happy frog. A bit of extra perilite and somewhere in the neighborhood of 15-20% EWC.

Amended with Crab shell meal, neem meal, kelp meal, And Dr earths tomato granular. I used 3 cups of this mixture to the 15 gallons of soil.

Then for liming I put about 1/2-3/4 cup dolomite lime, 1/2 cup gypsum and 1 full cup of oyster shell powder.

My point being there’s a shit ton of calcium in that mix. I run a bunch of ground eggshells through my worm bin too.

She’s looking good now under this new light at around 500-550 ppfd (at the canopy) in early flower but when I had the other light and tried to run it at max power which is about 135w she wilted badly. Here she is three days after turning that other light up to full power:

picture.php

^^^^ to be accurate, I had just transplanted her into that pot maybe 3-5 days earlier so she didn’t have a chance to spread her roots into the new mix too much.

Here she is now after being under the new SF 1000 light at 100 watts for maybe another week or so past that last photo:

picture.php

picture.php

And here she is about a week after that starting to throw pistils:

picture.php

And this morning at 4 weeks flowering:

picture.php

I have noticed that I had to really give her a lot of space between the light and her, way way more than they say. I had her vegging at like 30” away for the longest time and let her kind of just grow up into the light. When she got to about 24-28” From the light I flipped her to 12/12 for two weeks, she didn’t stretch much and now she’s been at 11/13 for two weeks and has grown to 12-15” from the light (one or two tops are about at 12” but are not directly beneath the light.

How close are you running the light? Maybe that’s part of it? I’ve heard LED growers say you have to harden them off to LEDs similar to if you would put them out in the sun.

I had ZERO problems ever with HPS or T5s .... same as you... but yes these LEDs definitely have a learning curve. Thinking of them as the sun, and hardening them off properly with a good amount of distance is the way to go I think, with a very High calcium and mag Soil mixture. So far so good.

It will be interesting to see if she can handle having the light closer once she gets into flowering More. So far she is handling being at 12” fine, whereas three weeks ago when I lowered it to 12” she didn’t like it.

THC123

Veteran
Wow yeah those look very good especially for under those lights. Will try your recipe. I have mine at max distance more than a meter from the plants.

THC123

Veteran
Sad update

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

All but one lant in the tent have root rot :(

I left home for few days and asked a buddy to water the reservoirs of the mats. bu because the mat was dry, he just dumped all water on the mats themselves and also wayyy to much.

Came home to find plants sitting in pool of stinky brown water and the mats had white mold on them....

All plants have burns and deficiencies.

Let's hope she'll make it, I have started adding liquid beneficials and also hydroguard which are bacteria for root rot. Also gave them calmag but it does nothing bcuase this is no real mag def but a root problem. They were topdressed with champost few weeks ago which already contains massive amounts of calmag...

ALl thick white roots poking out of the holes on the bottom are just gone.....

The Killer A5 together with one A5 pheno are my favorites.

The killer A5 smells like a hazy version of a very good durban phenotype.

ANd my chosen A5 has almost no NL in there, pure incense!!!

I will definately grow more killer a5 seeds in the future beautiful open sativa structure, love her!!!

OZZ_

Veteran
Oh man that’s a damn shame, sorry to hear that .... hopefully she’ll pull through for you.

THC123

Veteran
I have an idea to accelerate recovery.
Obviously the beneficials are doing a good job , new shoots and buds still look fine, but they arrived to late and there is too much damage done.

But I have an idea: what if I just put the plant on top of a pot of the same size filled half or 1/3 with fresh soil? This would allow the healthy roots that remain to grow out of the pot into soil. Would be like a mini transplant to give them extra rootspace????

good idea or waste of energy? It is late in flowering and I am afraid by doing this that they will freak out or start vegging.

OZZ_

Veteran
Obviously the beneficials are doing a good job , new shoots and buds still look fine, but they arrived to late and there is too much damage done.

But I have an idea: what if I just put the plant on top of a pot of the same size filled half or 1/3 with fresh soil? This would allow the healthy roots that remain to grow out of the pot into soil. Would be like a mini transplant to give them extra rootspace????

good idea or waste of energy? It is late in flowering and I am afraid by doing this that they will freak out or start vegging.

Can’t be certain, and I’m sure others will chime in here, but my guess is that would most likely help quite a bit, they love root space anyway, and they are already stressed out. Allowing extra root space into fresh soil probably won’t hurt anything.

How big are they? I don’t remember but what week are you in flowering? Would it be possible to just completely transplant them into a larger container with fresh soil WITHOUT stressing them much, as in very, very gently? It might make them freak out but it would certainly help recovery if done very carefully without to much stress.

I’ve done that before and it worked fine, after chop though the plant didn’t use any of the soil because it was already focused on flowering, but that was an Indica dominant hybrid.... the KA5H being a sativa dominant hybrid- so it might continue growing Roots throughout flowering like most pure Sativas do. I’m not sure but it’s worth a shot.

deepwaterdude

I had the same thing happen three times; once a pal took care of my plants for two weeks and I came back to orange soil. No idea what he did. Another time came back to crispy plants, just basically dead. Then my own mother killed a couple with enthusiastic watering. They were laid out on the floor of the tent, green, but with no life in them. I never let anyone touch them anymore;)
Def still early enough to "repot", especially because you're not ripping her out of her current pot, so no adaptation time. She'll love more rootspace, no worries about revegging;)

THC123

Veteran
Thx 4 your input guys!!!

@Ozz: transplanting would be an issue nog because they have sticky flowers and I can't just take em out of the pot. There are bamboo sticks and training constructions in the soil.

But i will just put them on top of a pot!! Thx m8 !!!

@DWD

Your OWN mother nonetheless!!!! i do hope you disowned her and cut all ties!!!!!!

Lol j/k they mean well

thx 4 the input

saitama

Hey guys. Love this thread! Hope you don't mind input from a fellow LED grower. I have built and run many models of LEDs and what I can say is that a reliable PAR meter is your best friend. I use a cheap hydrofarm and it is fairly reliable, although on the cheaper end and not well reviewed.

170umols for a seedling is too high; I keep it around 125umols. I also wouldn't trust manufacturer PPFD charts. I'm not a soil grower but I know that with my plants can take more nutrients when running under LEDs, so perhaps supplementing might help. I don't think there is anything wrong with your lights or spectrums, to be honest. Trying to gauge light by spec sheets is like following a recipe and not tasting your dish along the way. Or mixing nutrients without a TDS or pH meter.

Also, since you guys are soil growers, I'd recommend blumats for when you take vacations. It takes the guesswork out of feeding and you can sleep easy.

Anyway, great thread and I'm looking forward to the final results as I'm very intrigued by KA5H...well basically all of dubi's gear. Hope you don't mind my intrusion.

THC123

Veteran
I also have a hydrofarm.

I am used to soil mixes and then solid organic, I dont normally feed liquid stuff except water. This has always worked perfectly, just under white led it doesnt work for me;

But when I change the spectrum it magically works again.

Of course you are welcome Saitama!! But come one tell us your secret !! 100x pushups 100x squat 100 x sit up and 10 mile walk is bullshit!!!!

Good tip on the blumat!! Yeah I'll never let anyones else do it again lol

saitama

I also have a hydrofarm.

I am used to soil mixes and then solid organic, I dont normally feed liquid stuff except water. This has always worked perfectly, just under white led it doesnt work for me;

But when I change the spectrum it magically works again.

Of course you are welcome Saitama!! But come one tell us your secret !! 100x pushups 100x squat 100 x sit up and 10 mile walk is bullshit!!!!

Good tip on the blumat!! Yeah I'll never let anyones else do it again lol

Don't forget you can't have AC! I don't really do any of that stuff. I'm just a bald asian guy that gets knocked out when I take one hit :biggrin:

Shit man, maybe your hydrofarm is also busted? Apogee has a more affordable PAR meter that you can plug into a PC. I believe it's like $250. Pricey, but there's no denying the quality.

Was the spectrum they preferred warmer or cooler? I built a light with 100w of 3500k and 100w of 5000k and my plants grew way too bushy for my liking.

Edit: just read blurple. So strange your issue with the fluenc

Last edited:

THC123

Veteran
I am also bald hehehe or balding, it is because I grew so many plants that I started getting bald :p it's not only training.

Yeah just check the topic in the led section, in the beginning I posted side by side pics of outdoor and blurple plants vs fluence, also same cut. Under the SF I could get em happy and they grew well, just exhausted and yellowish green, but under the fluence they were or blue and droopy or totally lightbleached and droopy.

Last mail they sent me was to ask me to check my PH. They thought that might be the issue. I have one now but I will contact them once I give them ph adjusted water under the fluence. But I doubt that is the issue.

I will toy around with it in the future but now I dont have time or space to waste. I am almost out of weed due to all these slowdowns with the white led issues.
I am going to start one tent asap with the sf4000 + blurples and then another with 2x sp3000. ANd should they also give me issues (which I doubt ith added red and blue) I know what to do. The plants got so big with all the slowdown, and I don't wanna throw them away so yeah second tent it is.

Gonna start a white og and NLX grow, which will be probably still ready before the a5 I am flowering lol.

No the hydrofarm works well. Measurements correspond with what manufacturers say so. In the future however I want a decent one with data logging and the whole shebang.

saitama

I am also bald hehehe or balding, it is because I grew so many plants that I started getting bald :p it's not only training.

Yeah just check the topic in the led section, in the beginning I posted side by side pics of outdoor and blurple plants vs fluence, also same cut. Under the SF I could get em happy and they grew well, just exhausted and yellowish green, but under the fluence they were or blue and droopy or totally lightbleached and droopy.

Last mail they sent me was to ask me to check my PH. They thought that might be the issue. I have one now but I will contact them once I give them ph adjusted water under the fluence. But I doubt that is the issue.

I will toy around with it in the future but now I dont have time or space to waste. I am almost out of weed due to all these slowdowns with the white led issues.
I am going to start one tent asap with the sf4000 + blurples and then another with 2x sp3000. ANd should they also give me issues (which I doubt ith added red and blue) I know what to do. The plants got so big with all the slowdown, and I don't wanna throw them away so yeah second tent it is.

Gonna start a white og and NLX grow, which will be probably still ready before the a5 I am flowering lol.

No the hydrofarm works well. Measurements correspond with what manufacturers say so. In the future however I want a decent one with data logging and the whole shebang.

Come to think of it, I was reading posts a few years ago about a guy having problems with his SpydrX+. Very similar issues you're having with unknown yellowing and overall 'sadness'. Hope you get more smoke soon! I'm down to a stash I grew 2 and 3 years ago respectively since I started growing again recently after a two year hiatus. I can't justify paying for bud when I have some growing in the room next door...so smoke all the old stuff!

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi THC123,

Sorry to hear your friend didn't take good care of your plants during your absence. Disinfect properly all the floor and growing area to kill all the fungus spores, and expand your watering cycles: make sure to water only when the soil is fully dry, doing this the fungus won't be able to proliferate and the root system will recover.

Sad update

All but one lant in the tent have root rot :(

I left home for few days and asked a buddy to water the reservoirs of the mats. bu because the mat was dry, he just dumped all water on the mats themselves and also wayyy to much.

Came home to find plants sitting in pool of stinky brown water and the mats had white mold on them....

All plants have burns and deficiencies.

Let's hope she'll make it, I have started adding liquid beneficials and also hydroguard which are bacteria for root rot. Also gave them calmag but it does nothing bcuase this is no real mag def but a root problem. They were topdressed with champost few weeks ago which already contains massive amounts of calmag...

ALl thick white roots poking out of the holes on the bottom are just gone.....

The Killer A5 together with one A5 pheno are my favorites.

The killer A5 smells like a hazy version of a very good durban phenotype.

ANd my chosen A5 has almost no NL in there, pure incense!!!

I will definately grow more killer a5 seeds in the future beautiful open sativa structure, love her!!!