What's new

One for the newbs: cheap and simple hydro, but very effective

Dr. D

Veteran
Hey BOZWELL..do u have any pics of the container you will be using?
I have just setup a 51 litre rectangular storage container with 4 small plants in it for a friend and have just one 4" airstone for noise and budget reasons, and it is giving good results, but for you i would say get two airstones per container. Im assuming you are using some type of storage container. If you get a 6 outlet pump and run two 4" airstones in each i think that should do the job nicely for large plants..try and get the green airstones they produce finer bubbles than the blue ones and are about the right size for your average pump plus they are like a quid each.Dont bother with the ceramic ones from hydro shops they arent that good for the money iv gone back to the standard cheapy airstones.
Hi JH, yes i think you could get away with it in that space just use a slightly wider shallower(but not to shallow) container rather than a taller one to help with the headspace and still keep good rootzone space and also think about training the plant or Scrog'ing it..and make sure she is not too much of a stretcher so you dont run into any problems there...i hope tat answers your quesion...peace

BOZWELL

cheers D Im using some 7 1/2gallon beer fermenting barralls I was thinking 2 6inch air stones running off a rena 400 air pump(duel out let) per pot, sound good

Dr. D

Veteran
Yep sounds good to me...though i think those Rena pumps are a bit pricey compared to the Hailea pumps..how much they costing you?
I work 7.5 gallon out to 33.75 litres two airstones will be plenty in there.
How long you gonna veg for?
I vegged my Sour Bubble for three months and what a pain in the ass she is she drowns herself out she is so compact..three months was probably overkill due to the way she grows i keep having to remove leaves..too high maintence for my liking..make sure you link me to your grow man i wanna see this one...peace

Delta9-THC

from the mists and the shadows .... there you wil
Veteran
Ok ...
Doc I need to know how many could you fit into one waterfarm ......?

I need maximum amount without them killing each other off.....
AND I mean in a Really needed situation,,,,,
PEACE

BOZWELL

Dr. D said:
Yep sounds good to me...though i think those Rena pumps are a bit pricey compared to the Hailea pumps..how much they costing you?
I work 7.5 gallon out to 33.75 litres two airstones will be plenty in there.
How long you gonna veg for?
I vegged my Sour Bubble for three months and what a pain in the ass she is she drowns herself out she is so compact..three months was probably overkill due to the way she grows i keep having to remove leaves..too high maintence for my liking..make sure you link me to your grow man i wanna see this one...peace
cheers D if all gose well all on this site should se some monster plants I going down the less is more route but I think I keep a couple of cuts on soil just in case it all gose tits up
as for strains I think sensi star and g13/sour d probeblery root the sensi's a week or two earlyer as it dosent grow as fast as the g13/d ,I recon 6-8 weeks veg with lots of training under 2 600w hoping top get the magic kg after a grow or two

Dr. D

Veteran
Hey Delta-9 the waterfarm is the 30cm x 30cm bucket, right?
Id only go with one cut in that bucket even with a short veg time..look at the lates pics of the plants in this thread they were only vegged 10 days and look at the size of them.
Hey BOZ, you should be in for a killer yield there and some huge plants.cant wait to see those babies growing...peace il update some more when i can upload some pics im havin a few probs with the upload process...peace

BOZWELL

cheers D
Im getting the pumps from growell there supposed to be silent so I dont mind paying a bit more for them

S

strain_searcher

I ran the airhose through the top of the lid which sucks because when I have to change ph or lift it up its pulls my bubblewand up to the top. Anyone building their own dwc make sure you just drill a hole at the ver top of the bucket so lid can go on and off easily.

savonavo

I think everyone who has been inspired to try hydro because of this thread should post what their progress is and if they are experiencing sucess or not? Does anyone else wonder if this is working for a lot of people or just me? I think we would all get a little bit more inspiration if we saw how our fellow partners are doing with your help.

Because of this thread, I started with hydro, now I havent completely finished the first go around but the flower turns out ANYthing like the veg, then its ahnads down winner.
The biggest greenest GInormous leaves Ive ever seen, specially from a stain Im used to.

FWIW

Alex-F

Traktor driver
Veteran
Good call D, I'll be looking into this direction in the not to distant future :wink:

Farmer John

Born to be alive.
Veteran
I was inspired by this thread to start my hydro grows...still going strong..

I was inspired by this thread to start my hydro grows...still going strong..

savonavo said:
I think everyone who has been inspired to try hydro because of this thread should post what their progress is and if they are experiencing sucess or not? Does anyone else wonder if this is working for a lot of people or just me? I think we would all get a little bit more inspiration if we saw how our fellow partners are doing with your help.

Some Chronic, same system, small plant I know I know. 40 days flo...

darrinjefferson

I have done 2 soil grows and am in the process of finalizing plans for my new grow for next year. I knew it was going to be a large stealth cab with a 400 watt HPS. until i read this thread i thought the grow was probably going to be soil, and i kind of dread the idea of having to deal with all that dirt again. now that i have seen how easy, cheap and productive hydro is i have decided that i should try it. i cant wait!

does anyone have any links to good hydro cab grows?

keep it real

toothpaste100

I'm worried about the clay pellets not carrying enough water to my rockwool cube, should the top 3 inches or so of pellets not feel wet after the bubbler has been running for a while?

Mary Mary

I just finished reading this one from start to finish again tonight. Hope you don't mind if I brag about some of the success's I've had. These are both Morning Star's.
First up is one I did back in May.

Flower day 50

Flower Day 76

Flower Day 85

This is what went into drying after flower day 88

This is her all bagged up and ready for weigh in.

And the final weight.

Now for the current one. The first one was done in a 5 gallon bubbler, the current one is in 20 gallons. The cage is 2' 8" tall.

Flower day 15

Flower Day 20

Flower Day 27

Flower Day 35, current

I love bubblers!

All the best,
Mary

Last edited:

rv9308

please help

please help

Hey people new to the forum...tried a couple of grows in soil always wanted to try something else this looks like it could be it...i've been trying to find a thread that has a two buckets with this system but the search doesnt work for me...if you could point me in the right direction that'd be very helpfull...also thanks dr d for this very informative...i'm gettin all of the supplies asap

Reorx

all that soil seems to be many people who switch to a hydro indoor setup. I did soil for a few grows and while I got good results it was a pain. I switched to DWC a few years ago and will never go back. Although I do recommend that if your new to bubbler systems do your homework before you start. Cost isn't that bad but it can be, and without proper research you could be running to the store too much. Just basically get the right veg/flower nuts, some extras, see if the solutions are low in anything you use (I know the pureblendpro I use is low in mag so I pick up a few bottles of calmag to help that out) That and unless you can't find buckets I don't recommend using tubs, First off they are flimsy, and 2nd they can use more water than 3-4 buckets, plus cleaning them and so on, to me they are a pain in the ass.

Either way all the pics look great, gotta love dwc systems.

Latest posts

Latest posts